Commits and Targets Expected to Sign Early and/or Enroll Early

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
We're a week away from the early signing period. Here are the commits expected to sign next Wednesday and/or enroll in January:

Sign EarlyEnroll Early
Vernon Jackon
Slade BoldenXX
Xavier WilliamsX
Michael Parker
Tommy BrownX
Emil EkiyorX
Jordan DavisXX
Stephon WynnXX
Cameron LatuX
Quay WalkerX
Jalyn Armour-DavisXX
Nadab JosephXX
Saivion SmithXX
Skyler DeLongXX

There are a few targets that will possibly sign next Wednesday, too:

Emory Jones (also enroll early)
Penei Sewell
Brenton Cox
Eyabi Anoma
Josh Jobe (also enroll early)

Last edited:

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Stephon Wynn signing and enrolling early is big if Payne leaves for the draft. That`s especially so as well since it appears that our DT recruiting is " iffy" at best this cycle. Wynn will have to slide down inside. Raekwon Davis may have to as well. Really would like to see Payne stay for his senior year but I don`t think it`ll happen.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Stephon Wynn signing and enrolling early is big if Payne leaves for the draft. That`s especially so as well since it appears that our DT recruiting is " iffy" at best this cycle. Wynn will have to slide down inside. Raekwon Davis may have to as well. Really would like to see Payne stay for his senior year but I don`t think it`ll happen.
That would be the recruiting coup of the cycle if were to happen...sort of what Kirby did last year for his RBs. Saban will counsel him correctly. If he feels that another year in the program would help his draft grade then he'll tell him. Hard to turn down the cash when the league comes a callin though.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
That would be the recruiting coup of the cycle if were to happen...sort of what Kirby did last year for his RBs. Saban will counsel him correctly. If he feels that another year in the program would help his draft grade then he'll tell him. Hard to turn down the cash when the league comes a callin though.
No question, and if his grade is high enough, I wouldn`t blame him one iota. Having said that.... sure would stabilize the D line next year!

Last edited by a moderator:

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
The more I think about it the more I like this early signing period. I mean, we get to sign the solid commits while giving the rest of the field of targets a solid look at who their prospective team mates will be over the next 3-4-5 years. If we sign most of the kids in this thread I think we really finish strong, very strong on signing day in February.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Very interesting read (article on the football board sticky).

"To put it another way, a lot of schools think upward of 80 percent of their recruiting classes will sign in December, with only a few players waiting until February."

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...316/early-signing-day-period-coaches-strategy
Thanks for the info and that is interesting. I think there will be quite a few bad scenarios after the early signing period is over with kids who were promised or told something that does not come to fruition.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Wasn't CNS against the early signing period? If so, why?
I suspect it has something to do with timing. Normally, for example, two teams would have to be preparing for the SEC Championship game essentially giving a leg up to all the other schools leading up to the early signing period. This year we lucked out by getting into the playoff without going to the SECCG freeing up time to get some cruitin done before the early signing period.

Tell you what though - I really hate that the fax girl days are over. Signing day was like a national holiday at our house.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I suspect it has something to do with timing. Normally, for example, two teams would have to be preparing for the SEC Championship game essentially giving a leg up to all the other schools leading up to the early signing period. This year we lucked out by getting into the playoff without going to the SECCG freeing up time to get some cruitin done before the early signing period.

Tell you what though - I really hate that the fax girl days are over. Signing day was like a national holiday at our house.
Saban also said that it cuts down on the evaluation process and that some late bloomers or players they had not had a chance to evaluate yet would sign early with lower power 5 or non power 5 schools that some of the big schools would take, i.e. Josh Jacobs.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
IIRC, evaluation period (weakens the chance of a Josh Jacobs type situation) and coaching moves.

Coworker's son is a senior, and we talk about this about once a week. Why would a kid sign right now? Let all the dust from the coaching moves settle before signing. At least in basketball the early signing period is five months before the regular signing period.

TD7

Scout Team
Nov 30, 2017
Saban also said that it cuts down on the evaluation process and that some late bloomers or players they had not had a chance to evaluate yet would sign early with lower power 5 or non power 5 schools that some of the big schools would take, i.e. Josh Jacobs.
Coach Saban is exactly right about this, its currently affecting the way my son is being recruited. He is one of these "late bloomers". A lot of schools want to offer him after the early signing period. So they can see where they're at with scholarships numbers.

Last edited:

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Coach Saban is exactly right about this, its currently affecting the way my son is being recruited. He is one of these "late bloomers". A lot of schools want to offer him after the early signing period. So they can see where they're at with scholarships numbers.
Late bloomers always have the edge in the end so keep the faith. Do you remember a kid by the name of Wallace Gilberry? Dude didn't get a UA scholly offer until after the Alabama Mississippi Allstar game and he ended up playing, what, 12 years in the League? Yea, we love late bloomers!

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
No question, and if his grade is high enough, I wouldn`t blame him one iota. Having said that.... sure would stabilize the D line next year!
That is for sure. I would love for Payne to play another year with us, but I would think it is a certainty that he is NFL bound. We really need some of the talented big fellas to come on board.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
IIRC, evaluation period (weakens the chance of a Josh Jacobs type situation) and coaching moves.

Coworker's son is a senior, and we talk about this about once a week. Why would a kid sign right now? Let all the dust from the coaching moves settle before signing. At least in basketball the early signing period is five months before the regular signing period.
There are kids that know what they want to do, and don't care about any "fun" associated with waiting, so why not sign now ? A few want to make sure that they will have a spot.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
That is for sure. I would love for Payne to play another year with us, but I would think it is a certainty that he is NFL bound. We really need some of the talented big fellas to come on board.
Quite the understatement and the aspect of recruiting this cycle that appears to be the major concern IMHO. Can only hope that there`s some progress going on behind the scenes. Publicly anyway, we`re not seeing quality inside guys, that aren`t that plentiful anyway, lining up to come to UA. If we miss on a pure DT or two, which we already have in a couple of cases, I can`t see us avoiding some shuffling for next year.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Quite the understatement and the aspect of recruiting this cycle that appears to be the major concern IMHO. Can only hope that there`s some progress going on behind the scenes. Publicly anyway, we`re not seeing quality inside guys, that aren`t that plentiful anyway, lining up to come to UA. If we miss on a pure DT or two, which we already have in a couple of cases, I can`t see us avoiding some shuffling for next year.
That is what I am afraid will happen. I know the game is changing and the monster tackles like Cody aren't used much any more, but I still like having those big guys who can hold that line and eat space while ends and LBs fly to the ball. Our line got pushed around a few times this year, and I did not like it. I got spoiled with our guys the last few years.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
The 3-Star kids will be signing early and the 5-Stars in February.

That kind of muddies things...

I am sure that new strategies will result from what happens this month.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.