Famous regretted quotes...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
"That helps offset all these costs, thereby reducing the cost to those people who lead good lives, they're healthy, they've done the things to keep their bodies healthy. And right now, those are the people--who've done things the right way--that are seeing their costs skyrocketing."

Said a man who announced today he's been diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer...

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
"That helps offset all these costs, thereby reducing the cost to those people who lead good lives, they're healthy, they've done the things to keep their bodies healthy. And right now, those are the people--who've done things the right way--that are seeing their costs skyrocketing."

Said a man who announced today he's been diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer...
Just another jerk who equates good health with some moral victory on the part of the fortunate and as a moral failing of the unfortunate.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
One of my all-time favorites:
"Those rebel sharpshooters couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."
Penultimate utterance of Union General John Sedgwick, moments before one of said sharpshooters hit him in the head with a Minie ball at the battle of Spotsylvania CH, May 1864.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

He has decent insurance through the government though, right? So, aside from the cancer (not to diminish this in the least!) - his insurance will be better than what the folks are getting...right?

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
He has decent insurance through the government though, right? So, aside from the cancer (not to diminish this in the least!) - his insurance will be better than what the folks are getting...right?
Some yes, some no. Big thing was his cost didn't skyrocket like us peons (I do have fedblue...but it ain't the same as theirs).

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Of course. And he's right there at Johns-Hopkins. You can't really tell much from the term "advanced." Of more importance is whether or not it's metastasized. The five-year survival rate plummets in that case. With most people, a lesson would probably be drawn from this but Mo is not a deep thinker...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
One of my all-time favorites:
"Those rebel sharpshooters couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."
Penultimate utterance of Union General John Sedgwick, moments before one of said sharpshooters hit him in the head with a Minie ball at the battle of Spotsylvania CH, May 1864.
Was his ultimate utterance a moan? :D

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I am not that famous but this did happen.

“I bike in an area that is heavily populated by cyclists, there is almost no chance I could get hit by a car” Me to my mother June 6, 2016. I was hit by a car June 21, 2016.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I'm not sure, and don't care enough to battle over it, but isn't he referencing those who smoke, drink heavily, overeat, etc? That's how I read it. I can't imagine his point is that people who take care of themselves don't get sick.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'm not sure, and don't care enough to battle over it, but isn't he referencing those who smoke, drink heavily, overeat, etc? That's how I read it. I can't imagine his point is that people who take care of themselves don't get sick.
OTOH, you don't know him personally and I do. He meant exactly that. His thinking tends to be very simplified, to be kind. In fact, he's another one my wife has doubted is playing with a full deck. He's issued pronouncements like that on a regular basis since taking office...

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Was his ultimate utterance a moan? :D

Brevet Major General William Mahon said:
A few seconds after (Sedgwick's penultimate utterance), a man who had been separated from his regiment passed directly in front of the general, and at the same moment a sharp-shooter's bullet passed with a long shrill whistle very close, and the soldier, who was then just in front of the general, dodged to the ground. The general touched him gently with his foot, and said, "Why, my man, I am ashamed of you, dodging that way," and repeated the remark, "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." The man rose and saluted and said good-naturedly, " General, I dodged a shell once, and if I hadn't, it would have taken my head off. I believe in dodging." The general laughed and replied, "All right, my man; go to your place."
Sedgwick's VI Corps was, in the last year of the war, the best corps in the Army of the Potomac, maybe the entire Union Army.
Everyone seemed to think very highly of John Sedgwick. Even Robert E. Lee, whose men had killed Sedgwick, was said to have mourned the death of Sedgwick, whom he had known in "The Old Army."

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds

OK . . I give up . . who said it?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.