Mom died in 1993, but her daughter kept cashing her SocSec checks for 24 years

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
fify. this has been the conservative m.o. at least since the explosion of talk radio in the early 90s. there is a massive market for it and it is an effective propaganda technique
You do recall ABC News talking about $800 hammers on USAF airplanes, right?
You are not suggesting that outrage over wasted/misspent dollars in defense is justified but outrage over misspent/wasted money in social safety net spending is not, right?

Last edited:

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Fair enough.
On the other hand the Office of the Inspector General only tries cases that they know a priori that they will win. The others, they let slide with a lame excuse like "she's old." Well,

The bigger issue is this, Chukker, we now have $21 trillion in debt. As long as the political system and its supporters fall back on the "Well, those other guys are wasting mountains of money too. I want my guys to be allowed to waste mountains of money on our guys," eventually the checks will bounce. Then nobody's going to get anything from the federal government. And that's going to be a very sad day for a lot of people.

Repudiate it.
Inflate it away.
Pay it off.
Eventually, those are your choices.
Until we suffer through some depression level pain there is not going to be a real push to fix the debt and national budget. The "too big to fail" mentality has taken over and I have a feeling that when things do eventually come crashing down it'll make the Great Depression seems like a bright and sunny day.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Sadly, it's not just social security. You can say it's been exposed as a sham, but there's wasteful spending throughout the whole government. The DoD is probably the worst and we all know it. Remember the $600 hammers? At the same time, departments and agencies are encouraged if not threatened to spend all of their budgeted money so they can request more the next fiscal year. Instead, shouldn't we reward those bureaucrats who actually save taxpayers' money? There's duplication among many different agencies that can be streamlined. There are turf wars between agencies which is why we have so many "federal law enforcement" divisions within various departments and branches.

So you can pick out social security as one aspect that "we" conservatives rage over and pigeon hole it. That's fine. The bottom line is it's an unconstitutional branch of government. If you want to have the social safety net, constitutionalize it.
Constitution doesn't guarantee explicitly plenty of things conservatives think are essential to american life. There is a legitimate reading of the 2nd amendment where you could say that they only granted the right to the states to arm militias. No explicit guarantee to personal gun ownership because that was so implicit to their way of life. So you know...

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Seems like by the first phrase is an acknowledgement that a state needs a military body to maintain their security so the federal government will let them keep and bear arms for the sake of state militias.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
There are a lot of people, unlike me, who have never served in the state militia of today (national guard) and maybe never could but they may own more firearms than I do. Granted, I think the idea of seizing firearms or preventing personal ownership just seemed like patented absurdity to the founding fathers because of the wilds they lived in but textually I don't think personal firearm ownership is explicitly guaranteed.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Constitution doesn't guarantee explicitly plenty of things conservatives think are essential to american life. There is a legitimate reading of the 2nd amendment where you could say that they only granted the right to the states to arm militias. No explicit guarantee to personal gun ownership because that was so implicit to their way of life. So you know...

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
The Virginia Bill of Rights sheds more light on the meaning of the 2nd Amendment: "That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state; that standing armies, in time of peace, should be avoided as dangerous to liberty; and that in all cases the military should be under strict subordination to, and governed by, the civil power."
"The militia" at the time meant "free able-bodied white male citizens between the ages of 18 and 45."
Seems like by the first phrase is an acknowledgement that a state needs a military body to maintain their security so the federal government will let them keep and bear arms for the sake of state militias.
The federal government does not "let" states do anything. The people of the states delegated to their agent, the federal government, certain specific enumerated powers, declaring at the same time that they were not delegating any powers not enumerated.

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Until we suffer through some depression level pain there is not going to be a real push to fix the debt and national budget. The "too big to fail" mentality has taken over and I have a feeling that when things do eventually come crashing down it'll make the Great Depression seems like a bright and sunny day.
Sadly, I agree.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)

Well, it clearly states the right of "the people" to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed; it does not say the right of "the militia"; explicit to me.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Well, it clearly states the right of "the people" to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed; it does not say the right of "the militia"; explicit to me.
The first half suggest that the militia is necessary so the people should be allowed to keep arms. That is what the amendment says. Tidewater's mention of the Virginian constitution highlights that thought process further. Again, I do not believe you can read this text and say writ large personal firearm ownership is guaranteed for anyone other than able-bodied militiamen.

I do not think that the the writers intended for personal firearm ownership to be restricted due to the land they lived in at the time (and in some places that wilderness still exists). My point is that the love for strict constitutional textualism goes both ways. Things have been bent with subtext for reasons that benefits an assortment of ideologies.

Last edited:

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Well, be prepared to learn Mandarin and Spanish if you haven't already. Like I told our day care director many years ago when she had two Chinese nationals working there.

Me - Let them teach my kids Chinese.

DCD - Why?

Me - So when the Chinese finally take over the US my kids won't be rice pickers, they'll be supervisors over the rice pickers.

Her expression of horror was classic.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Chinese capital has already exploded some of this mixed-mode real estate development around the nation. Especially on the west coast like SanFran where they have priced everyone but the current darlings of capital - the software engineer nerd - has been pushed out of town.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Chinese capital has already exploded some of this mixed-mode real estate development around the nation. Especially on the west coast like SanFran where they have priced everyone but the current darlings of capital - the software engineer nerd - has been pushed out of town.
Vancouver residents are experiencing the same issue.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Maybe that's why Zuck married a Chinese lady...he's one step ahead of the game. ;)

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
There are a lot of people, unlike me, who have never served in the state militia of today (national guard) and maybe never could but they may own more firearms than I do. Granted, I think the idea of seizing firearms or preventing personal ownership just seemed like patented absurdity to the founding fathers because of the wilds they lived in but textually I don't think personal firearm ownership is explicitly guaranteed.
FWIW, all arms aren't firearms. Firearms are a subset of arms.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
The bigger issue is this, Chukker, we now have $21 trillion in debt. As long as the political system and its supporters fall back on the "Well, those other guys are wasting mountains of money too. I want my guys to be allowed to waste mountains of money on our guys," eventually the checks will bounce. Then nobody's going to get anything from the federal government. And that's going to be a very sad day for a lot of people.

Repudiate it.
Inflate it away.
Pay it off.
Eventually, those are your choices.
You seem to think I don't understand this. I do, and am likely as concerned about the debt as anyone. We disagree how to deal with it.

It has been used as a weapon when the GOP is out of power by them, then they turn on the cash spigot when they get the chance. And they keep funneling money that should address the debt to wealthy people and corporations that seem to have no sense of wanting what's in the best interest for the country.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
You seem to think I don't understand this. I do, and am likely as concerned about the debt as anyone. We disagree how to deal with it.

It has been used as a weapon when the GOP is out of power by them, then they turn on the cash spigot when they get the chance. And they keep funneling money that should address the debt to wealthy people and corporations that seem to have no sense of wanting what's in the best interest for the country.
And dont forget the next time someone tells you how well the economy is doing, how well would it be doing without this unsustainable massive deficit spending?

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.