Arizona State hires Herm to be CEO and keep staff; both coordinators have left

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
There's no way this ends well for either Herm or ASU. I hate it for him.
The reality - it is Arizona State. It wasn't going to end well anyway. But because it is ASU, it won't tarnish his reputation.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
He seems like a nice guy but he was a mediocre at best NFL coach. A very out of left field hire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't know him and this is not personal, but it says a GREAT deal about Arizona State. Evidently (from his background) they just want a HC, and any old HC will do. I doubt ASU will be contending any time soon.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Yeah seems like the AD decided that he liked the staff but hated the head coach and tried to replace the head coach with a guy he liked while keeping the staff. Completely botched it. Doesn't understand how any hierarchical operation works. Those guys were there to work for their HC and they bugged out when it got uncertain.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
I don't see a recipe for success...
Herm may be a nice guy, but they sometimes finish last.
While he had some success as a Pro coach, I don't see it translating to the college level.
He may find out recruiting is a whole new world.
Herm Edwards is a quality individual with enough "on the ball" to run an NFL team.
And he's at Arizona State - not Knebraska or Notre Dame or some other place with sky-high expectations.
If it takes him a year or two - well, it took Nick Saban a year.... And no one there is realistically expecting him to win any Pac-12 Titles.

He will be fine. And if he can win 60% of his games, he will be the best coach they'd had since the Mid-80's.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Herm Edwards is a quality individual with enough "on the ball" to run an NFL team.
And he's at Arizona State - not Knebraska or Notre Dame or some other place with sky-high expectations.
If it takes him a year or two - well, it took Nick Saban a year.... And no one there is realistically expecting him to win any Pac-12 Titles.

He will be fine. And if he can win 60% of his games, he will be the best coach they'd had since the Mid-80's.
Agreed. I think if given some time, Herm could get them to an 8-9 win/year team on average, with some surprise years of a 10 win season and maybe a few down years with 6-7 wins. It's Arizona St, not Alabama. The pressure to win is several notches down from the more elite P5 programs. Another thing going for him is he plays in the PAC 12. He actually has a realistic shot at competing.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina

Exactly...I have listened to him for several years on ESPN and he is first class all the way. I just hope he hires top notch coordinators and gives them the freedom to do their thing. He will certainly run the program in an excellent fashion.

dirtroadlizard

All-SEC
Nov 3, 2011
Bunker Creek , FL
Herm Edwards will do fine . He's a smart guy and a professional motivational speaker . You think he can't recruit ? He's driving distance from California representing a beautiful campus in a bustling city. Oh , by the way , the co-eds are hot . I think he will do great . At least I hope so !

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.