Whats the Biggest Problem in the Workforce Today?

Whats the Biggest Problem in the Workforce Today?

• Cell Phones

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Smoking

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 10 71.4%

• Total voters

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
I voted cell phone, but after reading some of your responses I believe I was seeing only a symptom of the larger problem of spoiled brats.

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
Lack of passion / motivation. When I started my career in the mid-90s, I didn't care about how much I was paid, I simply worked a second job to pay my bills. I was just thrilled to have an entry-level job in the industry.

Now, it's almost impossible to find young people who are willing to dive in and dedicate themselves for a few years in order to prove their worth. I'm not going to hand them the keys to a facility worth more than I bill in a year when they have zero experience. Prove to me you're worth the risk on my part, both materially (equipment) and beyond (reputation of my business).

This isn't a rant about millennials - I've seen this for some time - but never as bad as it is now. Few are willing to work for peanuts for the chance to do what they (supposedly) dream of doing...
Most want to start off with your job. Correct?

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Being properly motivated is one aspect. Entitlement is another.

Both can be dealt with if you have the right management. From a motivation stand point, clearly, compensation is one aspect. But, job flexibility, work environment, able to make decisions that influence company culture or better yet, the bottom line are other motivating aspects. I think it's important from a management standpoint to be able to articulate how everyone's actions impact others and the bottom line and be open with financial information.

Entitlement is another thing I've seen throughout the years. People have been in one job for a long time and think they are owed something or new employees (younger) think certain jobs are beneath them. I'm the controller of the company and I also clean toilets. We're a small outfit and sh&& happens. So our dock hand was rarely busy because the nature of our business has changed. He would sit on the dock all day and play on the computer but then wanted a raise and a bonus. He made himself less valuable because he refused to do things such as take out the trash in the kitchen when it was overflowing yet myself and others would do those tasks that were "beneath" him.

Every time I hear "That's not my job" I cringe. Well either make it your job or tell me who's job it is but don't say that's not my job.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
H-1B's are a big problem in the tech industry.
Before being accused of jingoism, H-2B's are very useful.
I’m all but actually card carrying DSA type here and I agree. It has created a second class citizen in the knowledge work job market. They have no freedom of movement due to their visa being tied to an employer rather than employment in a STEM field. The only point of this visa program’s existence is to depress the salaries in the few growth industries for employment. It is bad for domestic laborers and the visa holder alike.

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
I’m all but actually card carrying DSA type here and I agree. It has created a second class citizen in the knowledge work job market. They have no freedom of movement due to their visa being tied to an employer rather than employment in a STEM field. The only point of this visa program’s existence is to depress the salaries in the few growth industries for employment. It is bad for domestic laborers and the visa holder alike.
IT seems like a form of indentured servitude.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.