NDSU in a Roll Again

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Problem NDSU has if they moved they would be eaten alive.
In their division they are top of the heap.
Recruiting is fantastic when you are at the top...
Not so much when you move up and get beaten up.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I do not disagree that moving up would be much tougher during a 12 game schedule. But my point was that they seem to function as a FBS team now compared to the rest of the division. I watch a ton of FCS games and have for years. North Dakota State is running a different program than the rest of the division. Had a stretch of winning 71 of 74 games at one point. Again- something is different there.
The same complaint can (and has been) be made against Alabama. We have been on a very similar run under Nick Saban. He is 130-20 since 2007. 123-14 if you exclude his first season. And finally, if you start counting in 2011, it's a staggering 87-9. Something is different here, as well.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
Oh I get it. Bama has had probably the best 10 year run in the history of D-1 ( major schools) ever. But North Dakota State won 5 titles in row I believe and 71 of 74 games total. They are 6-0 against their last 6 FBS opponents and their games against FCS opponents are seldom very competitive.Won a national semi final 55-12 against a team that was 12-1.
The same complaint can (and has been) be made against Alabama. We have been on a very similar run under Nick Saban. He is 130-20 since 2007. 123-14 if you exclude his first season. And finally, if you start counting in 2011, it's a staggering 87-9. Something is different here, as well.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Oh I get it. Bama has had probably the best 10 year run in the history of D-1 ( major schools) ever. But North Dakota State won 5 titles in row I believe and 71 of 74 games total. They are 6-0 against their last 6 FBS opponents and their games against FCS opponents are seldom very competitive.Won a national semi final 55-12 against a team that was 12-1.
Didn't Mount Union have a similar run in D-AAA? I think part of the problem is the rush of teams to move up divisions. The bottom of D-1A or FBS, whatever, should still be in 1-AA or FCS. The entire Sun Belt conference ought to be competing in 1-AA agains the likes of North Dakota State and you would have probably seen some tougher competition for the Bison.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
You guys have admired the success of the Bison in the past. They are on an amazing roll again this year. They had a favorable draw in the playoffs this year but have blown out all 3 opponents including a 55-13 blowout last night in a manner that UA fans would love. 470 yards rushing and 650 yards overall. They didn't have a huge time of possession though because of several long runs.

The other semifinal features the last 2 teams to beat the Bison (James Madison in last year's semifinal and South Dakota State during the regular season). Both will be tough opponents, but I think they beat either handily with 3 weeks preparation and the roll they are on. They did lose one of their running backs and both starting safeties last night and this year lost 2 of their top defensive linemen. But they are so deep there isn't a huge drop off to the #2s.

Good luck to the Tide in the FBS playoffs. I would love to see the Bison play in Tuscaloosa some day! I would definitely make the trip!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Used to love the Bison fans when they came to Chattanooga for the final before it was moved to darkest Texas. Fun evenings at the Big River Grill.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Didn't Mount Union have a similar run in D-AAA? I think part of the problem is the rush of teams to move up divisions. The bottom of D-1A or FBS, whatever, should still be in 1-AA or FCS. The entire Sun Belt conference ought to be competing in 1-AA agains the likes of North Dakota State and you would have probably seen some tougher competition for the Bison.
The Sun Belt, MAC, and C-USA should all move down.

IndyBison

1st Team
Dec 22, 2013
Problem NDSU has if they moved they would be eaten alive.
In their division they are top of the heap.
Recruiting is fantastic when you are at the top...
Not so much when you move up and get beaten up.
If they joined a G5 conference they would compete in football right away with their current roster and probably be able to recruit a little better group of players. They would still beat an occasional P5 team but there is no way they should go to that level full time. They wouldn't be at the bottom of the Big Ten most years.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Is there any correlation to their rise to dominance and Nebraska’s fall to mediocrity?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IndyBison

1st Team
Dec 22, 2013
Is there any correlation to their rise to dominance and Nebraska’s fall to mediocrity?

Probably not. They get a couple players each year from Nebraska but it's not a primary recruiting area. Their qb, top wr and best defensive player right now are from Nebraska, but I doubt they would have made Nebraska competitive. The bulk of the players come from Minnesota and Wisconsin with several others from the Dakotas.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

Nebraska's fall is due to two things, IMO. Of course, there are probably many little things, but there are two major things that went wrong for them over the last 25 years or so that has led them to the place they are at today. First, they lost the battle to continue signing what was referred to as prop 48 players back in the days of the formation of the Big 12. These were players that didn't qualify academically, but Nebraska could still sign them and they just could sit for a year or two until they caught their grades up. There were several difference makers that Nebraska could sign this way. Where normally they would go to a Junior College and play for two years. When the Big 12 came together, Texas was very against this practice. There was a vote, and Nebraska lost it.

Secondly, Nebraska retreated from all fertile recruiting territory by leaving the Big 12 for the Big Ten. Now, instead of playing in Texas every year, and being able to recruit there, they are playing in Minnesota and Iowa every year. They have never had enough in state talent to field a championship level program and have always had to go outside the state and into Florida, California, and Texas in order to get skill position talent. Of course, they've made several moronic coaching hires since Osborne retired. Running off Solich was bad, but hiring Callahan was infinitely worse. Mike Riley was an awful hire. Pelini was a good coach, and probably took Nebraska as far as they can be taken in this modern era, but they ran him off. Now they've brought in Scott Frost, the last QB to lead them to an NC, hoping to recapture the magic of the 90s. I'd say it's a massive long shot that he ever gets them anywhere near those days. But we'll see.

Sorry for the thread drift, but I don't NDSU's rise has anything to do with Nebraska's fall.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Sorry for the thread drift, but I don't think NDSU's rise has anything to do with Nebraska's fall.
You'd really need to ask Larry (not Larry the Cable Guy, but Larry the Dr. Pepper Guy) for confirmation, but some analysts are convinced that Nebraska's demise began with that 'Husker football infomercial cum cinematic slog, "About Schmidt," and speaking of thread drift, the scene with an au naturel Kathy Bates in the whirlpool...

Zach

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 25, 2017
Someone mentioned mt union earlier in this thread, mt union has been the most dominant football team in all of college football the last 25 years. Probably the most dominant football team in the history of the sport. Nobody gives a rip about them though because they are div 3. Google Larry Kehres and check out his record. Unbelievable.

IndyBison

1st Team
Dec 22, 2013
Someone mentioned mt union earlier in this thread, mt union has been the most dominant football team in all of college football the last 25 years. Probably the most dominant football team in the history of the sport. Nobody gives a rip about them though because they are div 3. Google Larry Kehres and check out his record. Unbelievable.
One difference Mt. Union had is they had a worthy competitor in Whitewater for several years. Mt. Union may have won more of the championships but Whitewater won their fair share too. Their run had probably also been longer.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
One difference Mt. Union had is they had a worthy competitor in Whitewater for several years. Mt. Union may have won more of the championships but Whitewater won their fair share too. Their run had probably also been longer.
Mount Union's run is all the more impressive because - unlike Whitewater - they are surrounded by all the Ohio Group of Five (MAC) schools and of course tOSU. Wisc-Whitewater, St. John's (Minnesota), St. Thomas (Minn.), all the way back to Rowan (N.J.) didn't really have to compete with in-state D1/FBS schools for whom potential D1/FBS/D1-AA or FCS prospects might've fallen through the recruiting cracks.

IndyBison

1st Team
Dec 22, 2013
Mount Union's run is all the more impressive because - unlike Whitewater - they are surrounded by all the Ohio Group of Five (MAC) schools and of course tOSU. Wisc-Whitewater, St. John's (Minnesota), St. Thomas (Minn.), all the way back to Rowan (N.J.) didn't really have to compete with in-state D1/FBS schools for whom potential D1/FBS/D1-AA or FCS prospects might've fallen through the recruiting cracks.
I agree with this. Whitewater has a big advantage because there is only 1 FBS school in the state and no other D1 or D2 schools in the state. So after Madison the regional UW schools are next. That's why the Bison so pretty well in Wisconsin. It's a 4-10 hour drive to Fargo so it's not close but it's also not another part of the country.

The other advantage all the UW schools have is they are public. Most of the other D3 schools are private. In the no athletic scholarship world that makes it much easier to recruit when your cost is a fraction of your competitors.

Mount Union is a good example of success breeding success. If you are from the area and likely to play D2/D3 football it's a great program and you'll compete for national titles every year.

IndyBison

1st Team
Dec 22, 2013
I loved how the defense dominated a great offensive team last night. I'm hoping to see a repeat of that in the FCS championship this Saturday by the Bison. The teams are so similar in style and approach.

IndyBison

1st Team
Dec 22, 2013
Great win Bison! Definitely a defensive battle. Both offenses were shut down. Good luck to the Tide Monday night.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.