NDSU in a Roll Again

IndyBison

1st Team
Dec 22, 2013
You guys have admired the success of the Bison in the past. They are on an amazing roll again this year. They had a favorable draw in the playoffs this year but have blown out all 3 opponents including a 55-13 blowout last night in a manner that UA fans would love. 470 yards rushing and 650 yards overall. They didn't have a huge time of possession though because of several long runs.

The other semifinal features the last 2 teams to beat the Bison (James Madison in last year's semifinal and South Dakota State during the regular season). Both will be tough opponents, but I think they beat either handily with 3 weeks preparation and the roll they are on. They did lose one of their running backs and both starting safeties last night and this year lost 2 of their top defensive linemen. But they are so deep there isn't a huge drop off to the #2s.

Good luck to the Tide in the FBS playoffs. I would love to see the Bison play in Tuscaloosa some day! I would definitely make the trip!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
Look, great program and I follow this level pretty closely as I graduated from Jacksonville State and attended the national title game with them 2 years ago. But I will say this- I believe they are really an FBS program masked as an FCS program. They have over 100 players in that program and do not even resemble any other FCS program along both lines of scrimmage. They have a built in advantage of some sort over practically every other FCS program- and I am just not sure what that may be. They are just simply TOO dominate vs the rest of this division. It also helps that they NEVER play a playoff game anywhere but at home- although they do earn their high seed with the regular season record.
You guys have admired the success of the Bison in the past. They are on an amazing roll again this year. They had a favorable draw in the playoffs this year but have blown out all 3 opponents including a 55-13 blowout last night in a manner that UA fans would love. 470 yards rushing and 650 yards overall. They didn't have a huge time of possession though because of several long runs.

The other semifinal features the last 2 teams to beat the Bison (James Madison in last year's semifinal and South Dakota State during the regular season). Both will be tough opponents, but I think they beat either handily with 3 weeks preparation and the roll they are on. They did lose one of their running backs and both starting safeties last night and this year lost 2 of their top defensive linemen. But they are so deep there isn't a huge drop off to the #2s.

Good luck to the Tide in the FBS playoffs. I would love to see the Bison play in Tuscaloosa some day! I would definitely make the trip!

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton
Look, great program and I follow this level pretty closely as I graduated from Jacksonville State and attended the national title game with them 2 years ago. But I will say this- I believe they are really an FBS program masked as an FCS program. They have over 100 players in that program and do not even resemble any other FCS program along both lines of scrimmage. They have a built in advantage of some sort over practically every other FCS program- and I am just not sure what that may be. They are just simply TOO dominate vs the rest of this division. It also helps that they NEVER play a playoff game anywhere but at home- although they do earn their high seed with the regular season record.
It's more desirable to be the biggest fish in a small pond than a guppy in the ocean. They'd be be at a disadvantage as an FBS school because of their location. It's still impressive, even at the FCS level, the program they've been able to build there.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
Oh I agree. But I will add that they are also 3-0 in the last few years against Iowa, Iowa State and Kansas State. Location oes not seem to hurt winning those games. And one of there better running backs is actually from Florida.
It's more desirable to be the biggest fish in a small pond than a guppy in the ocean. They'd be be at a disadvantage as an FBS school because of their location. It's still impressive, even at the FCS level, the program they've been able to build there.

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
I do not disagree that moving up would be much tougher during a 12 game schedule. But my point was that they seem to function as a FBS team now compared to the rest of the division. I watch a ton of FCS games and have for years. North Dakota State is running a different program than the rest of the division. Had a stretch of winning 71 of 74 games at one point. Again- something is different there.
Here's an interesting article from last Sept. discussing the viability of their FBS competitiveness...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ac-12-sec-aac-cusa-mac-mwc-sun-belt/90807122/

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
I actually had a Bison fan tell me out in Frisco 2 years ago that Alabama would be afraid to schedule North Dakota State. I laughed so hard at him that I almost cried. And he was completely serious.
Bama light, got to love a team who dominates.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
There are lots of NDSU fans here in Philly. It says a lot about the NDSU program when Carson Wentz can start the first game of his rookie season and he was a lock for league MVP this year until he got hurt last week. He may still win MVP. NDSU has processed the FCS like we have processed the FBS.

IndyBison

1st Team
Dec 22, 2013
The geography advantage they did have is they can pull from Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Nebraska, an area with only 3 FBS schools. The other Dakota schools have the same footprint but that's where their legacy comes into play. They were successful on D2 as well and that culture continues.

Geography is the drawback when it comes to joining an FBS conference. There are not near anybody's footprint. They would be able to compete with the athletes they have now and would definitely pick up some better athletes being at a higher level.

One person credited with their success is their strength and conditioning coach. He's been the one constant through all the championships. They have developed several players that were walk ons, especially on the lines. Joe Haeg it's one example. He's now starting for the Colts.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
There are lots of NDSU fans here in Philly. It says a lot about the NDSU program when Carson Wentz can start the first game of his rookie season and he was a lock for league MVP this year until he got hurt last week. He may still win MVP. NDSU has processed the FCS like we have processed the FBS.
NDSU also gives great delight to (y)our area year after year by beating the RayBans off the "Hairball of the FCS," C.C. ("Can't Coach") Keeler of Sam Houston State, who actually touted himself a few years ago to become Meeshegun's new coach to succeed RichRod, only to find himself soon fired at Meeshegun Very Lite, Delaware.

Don't discount the SDSU Jackrabbits from bumping off James Madison tonight and turning the FCS finale next week into a NDCG (National Dakotas Championship game).

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
I enjoyed watching these Bison teams. They just win. I do not think they should move up. They are dominating at the FCS level. If they moved up, they would just end up playing in the Chiquita Banana Mountain Dew Goodyear UPS Bowl and no one will care. Occasionally they may end up in a New Years 6, but never get a shot at the title.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
NDSU Bison lost three players in their last game. Love to watch them play. Hope they win it all.

Last edited:

IndyBison

1st Team
Dec 22, 2013
JMU won in Fargo last year and that’s a huge feat. It should be an interesting game.
This Bison team is playing at a much different level this year. JMU played unbelievable for 6 minutes of clock time tonight to put the gave away. It should be an excellent championship game, but with three weeks to prepare I like the Bison chances.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.