BAMA vs Mercer 12/19

RammaJamma10

1st Team
Dec 5, 2006
Harvest, AL
All,

I was at the game with my g/f last night. Since I'm from Huntsville, I can share few things about arena they played in yesterday.

The building was super cold because there was a hockey game played recently and they threw the hardwood floor on top of the rink, and normally that shouldn't be a problem for players and coaches, but whoever put down the floor didn't do very good job. That's why we saw players falling down all night long.

I had the floor seat and I was able to see and hear everything from Alabama Bench. The thing is, Avery and Antione (assistant coach) was screaming out things they were seeing on court, but players didn't see or hear it. If the players had listened to coaches and made adjustments, the game would've been easily blow out.

Few things I noticed regarding some players when they were on court:

Key- Timid, forcing passes. Three turnovers. he was pressing too hard. he did some good things on court, and others he didn't do well. He wasn't ready to start last night and should've came off the bench.

Norris- He seems off, almost as if something wasn't right.

Petty and Sexton: They seem to figure out some things and managed to play well together last night. Both had bonehead moments.. There was times where Sexton was hogging the ball and driving to basket when someone else was wide open.

Reese: I expect him to play more going forward. Kid was critical last night.

Herbert Jones: Kid is a stud. need to find a way to develop his game on the court. get his points in a different way. He's a 2 way player.

Giddens: That man is very foul prone. He will get 2 fouls in less than 2 minutes. When he's on the floor for extended period, he can be extremely effective. he needs to learn when to be aggressive, and when not to be aggressive. find a balance.

Hall- Ya'll... I'm very impressed with him. He has improved long way since last year.

Bottom line: We have to stop being so overaggressive on defense. We need to take what they give us, and just play it smart. If we can do that, we will be very dangerous team. This is a young team with lack of experience and that is no excuse at all. If Kentucky can do it, why can't Alabama do it?

Minor peeve: One thing I hate about Huntsville is that anytime there is major event going on and just about everyone in town shows up for a game or whatever, everyone treats the game as a social hour where everyone stands up and speak to people they haven't seen in a while blocking view for people who wants to watch the game.
I was in attendance as well, and agree with what you've posted- especially about the social aspect. For a sold out game, the arena looked maybe 2/3 full the entire night, probably due to everyone being in the beer lines (those were moving super slow- I didn't bother to go back after the game started). Finally later in the 2nd half the crowd seemed to get loud and help us out during the 13-0 run. Hopefully the Birmingham crowd will be more energetic being Friday night and a bigger name team.

I don't expect Braxton to look that bad again. Hopefully he trusts the knee after making it through a game and can become the player he was last year.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Bottom line: We have to stop being so overaggressive on defense. We need to take what they give us, and just play it smart. If we can do that, we will be very dangerous team. This is a young team with lack of experience and that is no excuse at all. If Kentucky can do it, why can't Alabama do it?
This has been the question I've been asking myself all year. And if we don't figure it out, our best player who just got here will be gone to the NBA and this year is lost. It's kind of what I hate about the rules. When you sign a great class, it better pay off on the court that year. There is no more year to year building like you see in football.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
If you look at our older players, we aren't getting all that much production. Norris has had a slow start since coming back, Key I don't think scored at all, AJ jr didn't score much so we have to rely on freshman who will be inconsistent. Assuming we get 10 a night from each Key, Ingram, and Hall, we'll be fine. Let Key have time to work himself into the lineup, he was out stud last year and may be a role player to some extent this year.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
This has been the question I've been asking myself all year. And if we don't figure it out, our best player who just got here will be gone to the NBA and this year is lost. It's kind of what I hate about the rules. When you sign a great class, it better pay off on the court that year. There is no more year to year building like you see in football.
Sexton is 100% gone next spring. The others will stay.

Bama will make the tournament this year. Not worried about that at all.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Sexton is 100% gone next spring. The others will stay.

Bama will make the tournament this year. Not worried about that at all.
The team will be interesting next year. The good mid-major teams Bama has struggled with this season all seem to be filled with seniors. Another year of strength and conditioning, experience, maturity and playing together among the remaining players can make up for the loss of Sexton assuming Sexton is the only player to leave early. Plus, Key has not been a part of this season yet (not counting last night's game).

Tide Rev

All-American
Mar 22, 2000
Ocean Springs, MS
Being a former coach, I look at things a little differently than the average fan. Sexton is good no doubt but he needs to be reeled in because he has the ball in his hands too much and as mentioned, misses the open man several times. He is a great ball player but he is gone next year no doubt. This hurts the team now and will next year. We play out of control on both ends of the court as seen in the turnovers on offense and so many fouls on defense. If we play solid, fundamental defense, the fouls go down thus them not getting to the line as much. The thing that stuck out to me the most last night and at other times of the year, we played DUMB basketball most of the night doing dumb things on both ends of the court. It was more of a pickup game than a college game on our side last night. It will get worse if not corrected soon. I hate it but that is the world of one and done we live in.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Being a former coach, I look at things a little differently than the average fan. Sexton is good no doubt but he needs to be reeled in because he has the ball in his hands too much and as mentioned, misses the open man several times. He is a great ball player but he is gone next year no doubt. This hurts the team now and will next year. We play out of control on both ends of the court as seen in the turnovers on offense and so many fouls on defense. If we play solid, fundamental defense, the fouls go down thus them not getting to the line as much. The thing that stuck out to me the most last night and at other times of the year, we played DUMB basketball most of the night doing dumb things on both ends of the court. It was more of a pickup game than a college game on our side last night. It will get worse if not corrected soon. I hate it but that is the world of one and done we live in.
Coach Wimp is that you? :smile:

In all seriousness, Wimp did a great job breaking down a lot of your same sentiments during the Arizona game. CAJ has been doing a great job in recruiting and has another solid class coming in next year including another high-profile guard in the mold of Sexton. The plus is CAJ is getting the program in a position where we can compete year-in and year-out

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I agree!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006
All,

I was at the game with my g/f last night. Since I'm from Huntsville, I can share few things about arena they played in yesterday.

The building was super cold because there was a hockey game played recently and they threw the hardwood floor on top of the rink, and normally that shouldn't be a problem for players and coaches, but whoever put down the floor didn't do very good job. That's why we saw players falling down all night long.

I had the floor seat and I was able to see and hear everything from Alabama Bench. The thing is, Avery and Antione (assistant coach) was screaming out things they were seeing on court, but players didn't see or hear it. If the players had listened to coaches and made adjustments, the game would've been easily blow out.

Few things I noticed regarding some players when they were on court:

Key- Timid, forcing passes. Three turnovers. he was pressing too hard. he did some good things on court, and others he didn't do well. He wasn't ready to start last night and should've came off the bench.

Norris- He seems off, almost as if something wasn't right.

Petty and Sexton: They seem to figure out some things and managed to play well together last night. Both had bonehead moments.. There was times where Sexton was hogging the ball and driving to basket when someone else was wide open.

Reese: I expect him to play more going forward. Kid was critical last night.

Herbert Jones: Kid is a stud. need to find a way to develop his game on the court. get his points in a different way. He's a 2 way player.

Giddens: That man is very foul prone. He will get 2 fouls in less than 2 minutes. When he's on the floor for extended period, he can be extremely effective. he needs to learn when to be aggressive, and when not to be aggressive. find a balance.

Hall- Ya'll... I'm very impressed with him. He has improved long way since last year.

Minor peeve: One thing I hate about Huntsville is that anytime there is major event going on and just about everyone in town shows up for a game or whatever, everyone treats the game as a social hour where everyone stands up and speak to people they haven't seen in a while blocking view for people who wants to watch the game.
Yeah, Calipari takes young players and competes for national championships.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I see a couple things differently. I think Petty is the one who needs 'reeling in'. He jacks too many 3's.

I understand that's supposed to be his specialty but with the exception of the game he was unconsciousness and made 10 he's been pretty cold out there. I'd like to see him take some jump shots that are closer/higher % shots.

I'm fine with Sexton's aggressiveness since he seems to be the only guy that can consistently make FT's. He does need to make some extra passes at times but in crunch time I 100% want him to have the ball.

But mainly.....our FT shooting as a team is embarrassing. This is the 2nd year in a row we have been in the 300's nationally. That's just horrendous.

Why don't ANY of these guys (except Sexton) seem to take ANY pride in improving their FT%?? Other than layups and dunks they are the easiest points a PG, SG, and or SF can get.

I played in HS and JUCO and LOVED to get fouled. Those were free points man.

I just don't get it....why the coaching staff doesn't seemingly emphasis improving that area?? or the players themselves putting in the extra work in their free time to get better.

I use to practice FT shooting for at least 1 hour every day. I made a mini game out of it. Tried to make 10 or more in a row.....if I missed I ran court sprints and re-started my count. I did not stop until I made at least 10 in a row.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
FT shooting has got to improve. We'd be elite with good FT shooting.

by the way, fell asleep before this game was even to half...long day. Holidays bruh

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
i wouldnt look at it as a year lost. i honestly dont think this will be anywhere near our best team with Coach here. I do think we have a tourney team this year. As much as we like to look at our latest class, we still lack in a lot of areas that continue to be addressed with recruiting. We still need a true power foward and we still need shooters and guys who can create their own shot. Sexton IMO is our only guy who can make contested shots and create his shot against elite defenses. Against elite teams, you're going to have to make some of those. The others have to pretty much be wide open.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
i wouldnt look at it as a year lost. i honestly dont think this will be anywhere near our best team with Coach here. I do think we have a tourney team this year. As much as we like to look at our latest class, we still lack in a lot of areas that continue to be addressed with recruiting. We still need a true power foward and we still need shooters and guys who can create their own shot. Sexton IMO is our only guy who can make contested shots and create his shot against elite defenses. Against elite teams, you're going to have to make some of those. The others have to pretty much be wide open.
Well, it's me bringing too much of my football mindset to the table. You are right, the year won't be lost. And if we can make the tournament, and win a couple games there, it will only bolster recruiting further. And I do think we are still very much on the road to a tournament bid.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I see a couple things differently. I think Petty is the one who needs 'reeling in'. He jacks too many 3's.

I understand that's supposed to be his specialty but with the exception of the game he was unconsciousness and made 10 he's been pretty cold out there. I'd like to see him take some jump shots that are closer/higher % shots.

I'm fine with Sexton's aggressiveness since he seems to be the only guy that can consistently make FT's. He does need to make some extra passes at times but in crunch time I 100% want him to have the ball.

But mainly.....our FT shooting as a team is embarrassing. This is the 2nd year in a row we have been in the 300's nationally. That's just horrendous.

Why don't ANY of these guys (except Sexton) seem to take ANY pride in improving their FT%?? Other than layups and dunks they are the easiest points a PG, SG, and or SF can get.

I played in HS and JUCO and LOVED to get fouled. Those were free points man.

I just don't get it....why the coaching staff doesn't seemingly emphasis improving that area?? or the players themselves putting in the extra work in their free time to get better.

I use to practice FT shooting for at least 1 hour every day. I made a mini game out of it. Tried to make 10 or more in a row.....if I missed I ran court sprints and re-started my count. I did not stop until I made at least 10 in a row.
Petty was money in high school when he was shooting three's. He's not using his shooting form correctly. He lends a way a lot when shooting. Coaches got on him about that throughout the game. If he would use proper form, His shots would go in. I think it's interesting we both see things differently considering we both played ball in high school.

I really don't think Petty needs to be reeled in, they encourage him to take shots if he's open. If you looked at his stats, His shooting has been improving overall. As the season goes along, he'll get better. Check out the stats on ESPN for Petty and Sexton. Bama are almost always likely to get 40 points out of them together...

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Petty was money in high school when he was shooting three's. He's not using his shooting form correctly. He lends a way a lot when shooting. Coaches got on him about that throughout the game. If he would use proper form, His shots would go in. I think it's interesting we both see things differently considering we both played ball in high school.

I really don't think Petty needs to be reeled in, they encourage him to take shots if he's open. If you looked at his stats, His shooting has been improving overall. As the season goes along, he'll get better. Check out the stats on ESPN for Petty and Sexton. Bama are almost always likely to get 40 points out of them together...
It's probably because I played SG and am going to be harder on that position. I was nowhere near as gifted as these guys when it comes to speed and ball handling skills but I could catch and shoot and make FT's.

Some nights as a shooter though.... and especially a 3-point shooter.... you can just be stone cold off and continuing to launch shots isn't usually going to remedy it. It's just not your night....So imho you've got to make personal game adjustments. Look to create easier scoring opportunities for yourself and others. Try to draw fouls and get to the line or drive and kick out.

I probably am being a little too hard oh him. I don't think he's selfish or anything....but he loves the 3 a little too much imo. Something about his body language kind of irks me too. He *appears* to be kind of apathetic or something. Not lazy or anything but more.... listless.

I dunno I can't really put my finger on it.....the only time I've seen him kind of show some emotion was in the 1st or 2nd game when he was sent to the bench for foul trouble and a teammate sitting next to him kind of grazed his shoulder and he jerked away like 'get off me'.....just something rubs me wrong with him right now.

Hopefully I'm just completely reading his body language wrong and his shot selection improves. I want him to be a superstar....I definitely want to cheer for him.

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
It's probably because I played SG and am going to be harder on that position. I was nowhere near as gifted as these guys when it comes to speed and ball handling skills but I could catch and shoot and make FT's.

Some nights as a shooter though.... and especially a 3-point shooter.... you can just be stone cold off and continuing to launch shots isn't usually going to remedy it. It's just not your night....So imho you've got to make personal game adjustments. Look to create easier scoring opportunities for yourself and others. Try to draw fouls and get to the line or drive and kick out.

I probably am being a little too hard oh him. I don't think he's selfish or anything....but he loves the 3 a little too much imo. Something about his body language kind of irks me too. He *appears* to be kind of apathetic or something. Not lazy or anything but more.... listless.

I dunno I can't really put my finger on it.....the only time I've seen him kind of show some emotion was in the 1st or 2nd game when he was sent to the bench for foul trouble and a teammate sitting next to him kind of grazed his shoulder and he jerked away like 'get off me'.....just something rubs me wrong with him right now.

Hopefully I'm just completely reading his body language wrong and his shot selection improves. I want him to be a superstar....I definitely want to cheer for him.

Tusk, I played PG, SG and SF. I have different perspective because I see things from all three positions. I get what you are saying and I can't even argue with you...This is a three point teams.. once they get hot, they get hot.. when they get cold, they get COLD. it's not just Petty with 3's...

As far as his body language.. he has always been this way... he's very laid back person but I promise you he's very passionate about the game. I remember a game against Lee, he was showing emotion, screaming.. high five folks. He was the same against Alabama A and M earlier this year. But his body language.. you are correct...

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
As a team, we are playing freshman a lot more than I thought we would. I think we had 4 freshman on the floor at one point in the 2nd half. We've also had injured players come back and it has hurt our defensive rotation. I do think Petty gets to wild at times. He hot dogs it too much which causes dumb turnovers. This absolutely needs correcting, but he needs to continue to shoot the 3 though. Shooters always think it is going in and he'll go off a few nights this year which will win us a game or 2. I also think Herb Jones needs more minutes since he is our shutdown defender and is a more efficient scorer than Petty. He is sometimes too unselfish though. Reese is a much better overall player than I thought he was and I believe he can work his way into the rotation.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.