BAMA vs Mercer 12/19

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
Tusk, I was thinking... Would Petty be better off playing SF as primary and SG as back up?
I'm so torn honestly. We have so many hybrid guys who can play multiple positions that it's difficult to kind of peg who should be slotted where for the starting 5 and who that pushes to the bench.

Donta Hall is playing AWESOME right now and he's basically our 4/5 so that's rock solid. I feel great about him.

Braxton Key when back to form is between a 3/4 and I'm not sure who else really exactly plays his role.

Riley Norris has the body to be a 3/4 but can shoot like a 3/2 on a good night.

Alex Reese has a TON of upside as a 3/4 but just needs more experience. He provided a big spark in the last game.

Herb Jones I like a LOT. I think he's a straight up SG but I don't think he better than Petty right now either.

Dazon is straight up Mr. Versatility. He's like you....a 1,2, or 3. He can play wherever needed.

Petty I think is more of a 2 than a 3 right now. I say that because I've seen him camp out behind the 3-point line and shoot a lot more than I've seen him physically drive or even move in close to the paint to catch a pass. He stays camped outside.

Sexton has unreal ball handling skills when he's focused and in control. But I think HE is maybe the best SG on the team. He's the best shooter period and scorer obviously. Just needs to not get reckless trying to do too much.

Avery Johnson is a straight up PG but just not better than Dazon or Sexton.

So 9 guys with 5 spots. Herb Jones and Alex Reese need the most expierience/development......so really 7 guys and 5 spots.

I guess I kind of see the pecking order like :

1) Sexton, AJ, Dazon
2) Petty, Sexton/Dazon, Herb
3) Dazon, Norris/Petty, Reese
4) Key, Norris, Reese
5) Hall, Giddens, Key?

We just have so many guys that can play SG or SF if needed. I mean honestly we are a 3 Guard/2 Forward team no matter what combo you go with.

A lot of stress would be reduced if we could just get our FT% up and be more selective with our 3's.....who takes them and how many.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I'm so torn honestly. We have so many hybrid guys who can play multiple positions that it's difficult to kind of peg who should be slotted where for the starting 5 and who that pushes to the bench.

Donta Hall is playing AWESOME right now and he's basically our 4/5 so that's rock solid. I feel great about him.

Braxton Key when back to form is between a 3/4 and I'm not sure who else really exactly plays his role.

Riley Norris has the body to be a 3/4 but can shoot like a 3/2 on a good night.

Alex Reese has a TON of upside as a 3/4 but just needs more experience. He provided a big spark in the last game.

Herb Jones I like a LOT. I think he's a straight up SG but I don't think he better than Petty right now either.

Dazon is straight up Mr. Versatility. He's like you....a 1,2, or 3. He can play wherever needed.

Petty I think is more of a 2 than a 3 right now. I say that because I've seen him camp out behind the 3-point line and shoot a lot more than I've seen him physically drive or even move in close to the paint to catch a pass. He stays camped outside.

Sexton has unreal ball handling skills when he's focused and in control. But I think HE is maybe the best SG on the team. He's the best shooter period and scorer obviously. Just needs to not get reckless trying to do too much.

Avery Johnson is a straight up PG but just not better than Dazon or Sexton.

So 9 guys with 5 spots. Herb Jones and Alex Reese need the most expierience/development......so really 7 guys and 5 spots.

I guess I kind of see the pecking order like :

1) Sexton, AJ, Dazon
2) Petty, Sexton/Dazon, Herb
3) Dazon, Norris/Petty, Reese
4) Key, Norris, Reese
5) Hall, Key?

We just have so many guys that can play SG or SF if needed. I mean honestly we are a 3 Guard/2 Forward team no matter what combo you go with.

A lot of stress would be reduced if we could just get our FT% up and be more selective with our 3's.....who takes them and how many.
You forgot Giddens.

RammaJamma10

1st Team
Dec 5, 2006
Harvest, AL
I feel like we dilly dally around too much early on in games and get ourselves behind, thus needing some extra effort to get back in the games. I'd like to see Sexton be aggressive right off the bat and we try and get off to a good start against Texas. If we can jump out early and then play steady/solid basketball that would be our ideal recipe. Maybe that has been the plan the last few games and with Sexton picking up quick fouls we've had to adjust.. I don't know. But the rotations have been strange IMO of late, and maybe that's due to Sexton being in foul trouble early.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.