I received a belated birthday present today...

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

Tide Rev

All-American
Mar 22, 2000
Ocean Springs, MS
My Dad passed away due to colon cancer. Been getting these done every 5 years since 40. The prep is the worst but knowing your results is worth it. I’m 56 now and thankful nothing has shown up yet. Earle, I know you will get through this. Just trust the Lord and your Dr and all will be fine. At least it will be taken care of after football season.��

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
My brother is 36 and he tested positive for the BRCA2 gene mutation. It doesn’t increase the risk of colon cancer, but the doctor thought it’d be a good idea to go ahead and have a colonoscopy done. They found polyps in there, so no telling what it would have been if he would have waited til; he was 50 like they suggest. Scary stuff.
I have the gene variant for colonic polyps. I'll put up the pic of what it looks like but I won't embed it for those who are squeamish. IOW, click at your own risk - you can't unsee it... :)

Earle colon002.jpg

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
He works in mysterious ways, you've got this, it will be just another procedure to add to the list!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
My friend's definition of what he does, or did do until 12/31, is one A-H looking at another... :)
A friend of mine who was a truck driver used to jokingly say the same thing about folks who drive Mack trucks!

Happy (belated) birthday Earle! I’m glad that things worked out and they found it early!

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Congrats.
The idea of a colonoscopy is a weird one. I can just imagine a couple of GI doctors sitting around over coffee and one says, "You know, we could shove a camera up your keister and see what's going on up there."
And the other says,
Yeah. That sounds like a good idea. Let's do that."
I often wonder why doctors choose certain specialties. I was once being treated by a podiatrist and I asked him that while he was working on my foot. He said he liked it because it was a specialty that allowed him to work fairly normal hours and he didn't have to deal with his patients dying.

That makes sense and I certainly see the glamour with the heart and brain but I still have no idea why someone would be so fascinated with the human colon they want to spend their career looking at people's rear ends.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I often wonder why doctors choose certain specialties. I was once being treated by a podiatrist and I asked him that while he was working on my foot. He said he liked it because it was a specialty that allowed him to work fairly normal hours and he didn't have to deal with his patients dying.

That makes sense and I certainly see the glamour with the heart and brain but I still have no idea why someone would be so fascinated with the human colon they want to spend their career looking at people's rear ends.
Always interview your doctors. Protologist or urologist, I want them to have small hands. Hey, I don't want some former 330 lb former left tackle strapping on gloves and lubing two fingers and tell me I'm going to feel a little pressure. I'm just sayin'.

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
I had a colonoscopy about 6 years ago and I was 43. I was experiencing some issues down back. I was told by my GI not to eat peanuts because they were causing the problem. I had a minor issue a couple of years later and I’m due back in May when I turn 50. I have plenty of analpram and praxis wipes to last me a life time.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I drink a glass or two of red wine almost every day, but except for the occasional hamburger, no red meats. If I had access to fresh fish I could live on that and chicken.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Hey TideFans, Earle wanted me to give an update. Without going into detail, they ran into some (what seem to be minor) issues with him, so he's still in the hospital. Looks like he's going to be fine, but they're following protocol, hopefully he'll be back home soon.

Please keep him in your prayers, good vibes, whatever you do.

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
My pop went through this two years ago at 68. They did a fine job with him at Vandy and he never slowed down (visibly) for a minute. Hope yours is the same Earle. Best wishes.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I feel good enough to update now, although I hate phones. After surgery, I had an ileus, where your gut just goes to sleep. They had to install a N-G tube and pump my stomach for three days to get out the food already eaten. I've been NPO for three days. I'm now enjoying a Starbucks and will make a new start with jello, pudding and the like. Fingers crossed...

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
What? You didn't have to prep for the procedure? You mean I had all the fun. That's some nasty stuff.

Get well. Spring is not too far away!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
So, Earle gets a few more days to harass the nurses? Good plan.
They've been uniformly nice. Some a bit better at their jobs, naturally. Did run across a couple of real cuties at the other end of the floor, making my rounds. I'd hardly count the conversation I struck up as "harassment." :)

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
They've been uniformly nice. Some a bit better at their jobs, naturally. Did run across a couple of real cuties at the other end of the floor, making my rounds. I'd hardly count the conversation I struck up as "harassment." :)
this country would collapse in under 3 days if all the nurses stopped working, i'm convinced of it

glad to hear you are on the mend

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.