Beating Bama with Hurts at QB

BamaGreek

All-American
Jan 6, 2007
Brentwood, TN
I don’t know. I have a hard time imagining a QB of Tua’s ability playing backup for 2 more years or Hurts losing his job in the next year and not transferring.

The chances that Hurts keeps the starting job for 2 more years *and* that Tua sits behind him are pretty much zero.
This is too much for me to bear. I could expand on this but can feel some banned words coming on.

TideAle

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 6, 2006
NC
Last year we had ArDarius Stewart opposite Ridley, ArDarius played man football and went up and took the ball. None of the receivers besides Ridley seem to have the moxie ArDarius had, though several have the potential. I read somewhere that we will be working on a bunch of quick slants and short routes to get the ball to the receivers which in turn will soften up the 8 men in the box mentality if it works.

My son is going to NC State so I watched a few Clemson games this year, they have an elite defensive line but after that their defensive play was fairly mediocre.

My personal opinion is a lot of the voices on this site are selling Jalen short and if I had to choose between Jalen and Tua today I’m going with Jalen.

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
We probably will have two of the three transfer and it is unfortunate. Without getting Emory Jones, they may have to get Slade Bolden ready to play QB.
We simply cannot afford to lose Tua. The kid is lightning quick with his release. We also would be at a disadvantage in signing his brother who is also a tremendous player. I do believe that Tua's family is a very loyal bunch, and I have the idea that they understand the situation. I also like Jalen. The kid is a winner with a demeanor. I do recognize though that Defenses focus on him, and have seen what we see. I DO think that Tua has a skillset that Jalen may not ever develop. Tua can beat a rush with his arm speed. From fake handoff to release is less than a second. As to why CNS seems to hesitate in his deployment on the field is another question I am not qualified to answer. Coach Bryant once went to his 4th team QB during a desperate game, and he told the young man to "Get out there". The young and surprised QB jumped up and said, "I will try Coach!!" Coach Bryant said, "Son....I already got somebody out there trying. Get it done." But I can't suggest CNS doesn't know his b'ness. I do wonder why Tua is not in there sometimes unless we are 21 pts ahead.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
We simply cannot afford to lose Tua. The kid is lightning quick with his release. We also would be at a disadvantage in signing his brother who is also a tremendous player. I do believe that Tua's family is a very loyal bunch, and I have the idea that they understand the situation. I also like Jalen. The kid is a winner with a demeanor. I do recognize though that Defenses focus on him, and have seen what we see. I DO think that Tua has a skillset that Jalen may not ever develop. Tua can beat a rush with his arm speed. From fake handoff to release is less than a second. As to why CNS seems to hesitate in his deployment on the field is another question I am not qualified to answer. Coach Bryant once went to his 4th team QB during a desperate game, and he told the young man to "Get out there". The young and surprised QB jumped up and said, "I will try Coach!!" Coach Bryant said, "Son....I already got somebody out there trying. Get it done." But I can't suggest CNS doesn't know his b'ness. I do wonder why Tua is not in there sometimes unless we are 21 pts ahead.
I feel like it is because Hurts needs the reps too. We get up so quick on teams that the starters have to come out so they aren't getting real game reps. We are in a pickle. It could be a reason we can't finish some games because we haven't had to very often.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
I don’t know. I have a hard time imagining a QB of Tua’s ability playing backup for 2 more years or Hurts losing his job in the next year and not transferring.

The chances that Hurts keeps the starting job for 2 more years *and* that Tua sits behind him are pretty much zero.
Hurts will be a junior next year, jmo but I doubt if he transfers just to technically play one more year. Tua already knew the situation coming in, so as long as doesn't let the wrong people influence him, he will eventually start at Alabama and hopefully can be successful as well.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Guys... let's just get through the playoff. We have a QB thread for that. Someone mentioned that Hurts has been throwing well in practice and spreading the balls around. Let's see if that translate to the game. Practice and Game are two different things. If Clemson are that cocky, and very confident about defensive plan, then they would use the same one from last year. Saban should expect that and tell Daboll to come up with game plan to deal with that.

Bleed Crimson

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 18, 2011

Agreed

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
Guys... let's just get through the playoff. We have a QB thread for that. Someone mentioned that Hurts has been throwing well in practice and spreading the balls around. Let's see if that translate to the game. Practice and Game are two different things. If Clemson are that cocky, and very confident about defensive plan, then they would use the same one from last year. Saban should expect that and tell Daboll to come up with game plan to deal with that.
Interesting comment this morning from Chris Landry discussing Clemson - Bama. If I can summarize he felt that Alabama wants to sell the fact that they are a pro-style offense for recruiting purposes (for obvious reasons) but by mixing pro-style in with zone read that tend to limit JH's effectiveness. (Many of us have agonized over JH's drop back passing performance) If we stuck with the zone read he felt it would emphasize more of JH as a running threat, force the defense to run and ultimately wear down.

Many of us here have been advocating run da ball with quick passing schemes. This helped my understanding of how we may well be getting away from our obvious strengths by asking JH to get the ball to wide receivers down the field. We can see as well what kind of pressure it places on the offensive line in pass protection.

Looking forward to seeing if we can get back to some explosiveness on offense.

Last edited:

Cauthonluck151

Dec 2, 2017
Hurts will be a junior next year, jmo but I doubt if he transfers just to technically play one more year. Tua already knew the situation coming in, so as long as doesn't let the wrong people influence him, he will eventually start at Alabama and hopefully can be successful as well.
Tua came here planning to win the job and compete. If It's obvious that he's a better QB and still has to ride the bench why would he stay... it would be clear Saban is playing favorites.

Saban plays the best players at DB and on defense for the most part because he's involved with them a lot more. The same can't be said for the offense. Even with all the talent we get our offenses are almost always carried by defense/special teams, there's definitely some blind spots there and I believe QB is one of them.

I.e.. Do we beat Ohio State with Coker at QB that year?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'd take claims to have attended practice with a grain of salt...

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I think this is a complicated problem. #1 Hurts isn't a pro style QB and doesn't have pro ability. He can make the throws but he can't read and process fast enough. If he had pro ability it would have shown up by now. For most good QB's it takes about half a season to settle in and start throwing NFL stats up. In an offense like Auburn's he'd be golden. As it stands we have an OC that wants to run the New England Patriots offense and the two are a bad match. So I think Hurts looks worse than he actually is in this offense, plus the OC is hamstrung by having to run a bunch of high school crap (like Auburn), simply because it's what Hurts can do.

Tua was clearly not ready to start in the fall and I'm weary of a freshman taking the pounding. After a year with Cochran they are more ready for that. I think it's obvious Tua is a better passer but there is more to playing the position than just passing. With a winter and spring practice under his belt I fully expect him to be the better candidate and I believe they staff will have to go with who gives them the best chance to win. Especially if this Clemson game goes like most of us expect with Alabama's anemic offense hanging out the D to dry until they crack.

I'd like to hope for better but Miracles are for Auburn, Alabama doesn't appear to get luck or miracles.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
I think this is a complicated problem. #1 Hurts isn't a pro style QB and doesn't have pro ability. He can make the throws but he can't read and process fast enough. If he had pro ability it would have shown up by now. For most good QB's it takes about half a season to settle in and start throwing NFL stats up. In an offense like Auburn's he'd be golden. As it stands we have an OC that wants to run the New England Patriots offense and the two are a bad match. So I think Hurts looks worse than he actually is in this offense, plus the OC is hamstrung by having to run a bunch of high school crap (like Auburn), simply because it's what Hurts can do.

Tua was clearly not ready to start in the fall and I'm weary of a freshman taking the pounding. After a year with Cochran they are more ready for that. I think it's obvious Tua is a better passer but there is more to playing the position than just passing. With a winter and spring practice under his belt I fully expect him to be the better candidate and I believe they staff will have to go with who gives them the best chance to win. Especially if this Clemson game goes like most of us expect with Alabama's anemic offense hanging out the D to dry until they crack.

I'd like to hope for better but Miracles are for Auburn, Alabama doesn't appear to get luck or miracles.
I don't know for sure, but it seems the QB issues (at least from a fan perspective like me) have already started to affect our recruiting for this cycle for another QB. The top 4 targets we wanted signed elsewhere. There are several reasons for that (immediate playing time, Kirby taking our target recruits), but it seems we are having trouble getting that top-notch QB this cycle. I think Tua can be top notch but he has not gotten the chance yet in big games. Our next QB target according to Saban is only a 3 star in one of the ratings.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017
I don't know for sure, but it seems the QB issues (at least from a fan perspective like me) have already started to affect our recruiting for this cycle for another QB. The top 4 targets we wanted signed elsewhere. There are several reasons for that (immediate playing time, Kirby taking our target recruits), but it seems we are having trouble getting that top-notch QB this cycle. I think Tua can be top notch but he has not gotten the chance yet in big games. Our next QB target according to Saban is only a 3 star in one of the ratings.
The questions I have are where would Tua be rated in comparison to the 2018 class or to the 2017 class including Jake Fromm. From the brief amount I have seen of the Jones kid heading to Florida I believe Tua is light years ahead of him in terms of throwing the football. I know absolutely that the basic throwing motion is very difficult to change.

Would CNS provide him any assurances in terms of being in position to compete for playing time next year?

How is Tua viewed as an NFL prospect. Is his height a major detriment compared to the 6'4" to 6'7" entries over the last years?

It appears to me his NFL projection/aspiration and and where he stands with the staff are key determining factors in whether Tua will play behind JH or decide play elsewhere.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Totally agree. I think if Tua would transfer it would be the saddest day and perhaps the biggest mistake of the Saban era at Alabama. Jalen will never be able to throw as good as Tua. The counter argument may be that Tua would never be as secure with the ball as Jalen but if Coach Saban keeps Jalen as the starter for another 2 seasons simply because of the ball security issue then I think he would be adopting the strategy of "playing not to lose" instead of "playing to win". We all know that sometimes when you play not to lose you end up losing anyway.

bvandegraff

All-American
Mar 13, 2014
Albuquerque, NM
I've read most but not all of the comments on this thread. Hurts has clear strengths and clear weaknesses, but my general impression is that the O-line play has been inconsistent the last few games. Don't know if it was due to the Pierschbacher injury. No QB or OC can do much if we're not dominating the line of scrimmage...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
A number of Alabama players have made it a point to express their support of Jalen in the last few days. Seems like they have read some of the stuff out there and are not happy with the media or the fans. Maybe this is good - pull them together - but we all have to remember that what we say can hurt the players who are giving everything for our programs.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
A number of Alabama players have made it a point to express their support of Jalen in the last few days. Seems like they have read some of the stuff out there and are not happy with the media or the fans on TIDEFANS.com. Maybe this is good - pull them together - but we all have to remember that what we say can hurt the players who are giving everything for our programs.
Fixed it for ya :)

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
A number of Alabama players have made it a point to express their support of Jalen in the last few days. Seems like they have read some of the stuff out there and are not happy with the media or the fans. Maybe this is good - pull them together - but we all have to remember that what we say can hurt the players who are giving everything for our programs.
But seriously, Yeah maybe it's a good thing that the team is rallying behind Hurts now.. I know lot of players read message board and all. So yeah, I agree with you. Lot of people don't really understand things we say can be considered negative ... and I know someone will come back with a response saying that we have the right to say what we want as a fan, and that they need to get over it... That may be true, but still...

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.