Handgun Recommendations

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Thank you for all the replies. You’ve all been very helpful and have given me some great advice. I guess I should give a little more info as to what I’m looking for in a pistol. I’m a runner but had stopped running in town due to no leash laws and a lot of transient people/traffic in our small town, especially around the jail. That’s what I wanted a pocket pistol such as the 380. But after reading your responses I’m going to look @ a few others too. Might be a good idea to get one pistol which can serve more than one purpose. Seems like the Kahr cm- 9 might be a good multi purpose gun for me. I do plan to go to a place like Hoover Tactical and rent/try out some pistols.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was going to say, before reading this post, that my recommendation is for the right kind of research - range time. A lot of indoor ranges will allow you to rent various handguns to try out on the range. Cypress Creek Indoor Range, here in Florence, Alabama, often has rental specials with caliber nights or manufacturer nights and such that can make it cheaper to test out multiple weapons.

1) It doesn't matter how compact a weapon may be nor how comfortable to concealed carry it may be when it comes to self-defense if you can't be certain it's your most reliable weapon for consistently putting shots on target. How well a weapon fits your hand can have a much bigger impact on accuracy than many people realize. Sure, you can overcome some fit drawbacks with range-time but it's generally best to start out with the best fit possible.

2) Larger calibers, for self-defense purposes, are largely over-rated. Three well-placed, accurate shots with top-quality, personal-protection ammunition in a smaller caliber will stop an attacker far better than mostly off-target shots in a larger caliber. Basically, you want the largest caliber with which you are able to put your second, third, and fourth shots in a rapid sequence on target.

As for me, I personally carry a Smith & Wesson Shield 9mm and I love it. It's thinner than most 9mm handguns which, for the way I typically carry - 5.11 Holster Undershirt or inside-the-waistband carry - fits my body quite comfortably. Plus, the grip angle fits my palm and longer fingers much better than, for example, a Glock 9mm, allowing me to initially bring the weapon on target more quickly and consistently.

Note: If you're going to practice drawing the weapon and quickly bringing it on target, most ranges - due to safety concerns - won't allow you to draw with a loaded weapon. So, you'll probably have to practice that part with an empty weapon and no magazine. However, you can still get a feel for how quickly and how naturally you can bring it on target.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
I was going to say, before reading this post, that my recommendation is for the right kind of research - range time. A lot of indoor ranges will allow you to rent various handguns to try out on the range. Cypress Creek Indoor Range, here in Florence, Alabama, often has rental specials with caliber nights or manufacturer nights and such that can make it cheaper to test out multiple weapons.

1) It doesn't matter how compact a weapon may be nor how comfortable to concealed carry it may be when it comes to self-defense if you can't be certain it's your most reliable weapon for consistently putting shots on target. How well a weapon fits your hand can have a much bigger impact on accuracy than many people realize. Sure, you can overcome some fit drawbacks with range-time but it's generally best to start out with the best fit possible.

2) Larger calibers, for self-defense purposes, are largely over-rated. Three well-placed, accurate shots with top-quality, personal-protection ammunition in a smaller caliber will stop an attacker far better than mostly off-target shots in a larger caliber. Basically, you want the largest caliber with which you are able to put your second, third, and fourth shots in a rapid sequence on target.

As for me, I personally carry a Smith & Wesson Shield 9mm and I love it. It's thinner than most 9mm handguns which, for the way I typically carry - 5.11 Holster Undershirt or inside-the-waistband carry - fits my body quite comfortably. Plus, the grip angle fits my palm and longer fingers much better than, for example, a Glock 9mm, allowing me to initially bring the weapon on target more quickly and consistently.

Note: If you're going to practice drawing the weapon and quickly bringing it on target, most ranges - due to safety concerns - won't allow you to draw with a loaded weapon. So, you'll probably have to practice that part with an empty weapon and no magazine. However, you can still get a feel for how quickly and how naturally you can bring it on target.
I work part time @ a bible college in Florence. Up there once per week. I’ll have to stop by that place. Thanks.

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
For a long time I carried powerful pepper spray. But with the problems we’re having it’s not enough. At any rate I see what you’re saying. One runner suggested carrying in the small of the back. I’m not sure I’ll carry it while running especially if I don’t feel comfortable with it. A 380 type/size was recommended with a good pocket holster too.

I know one guy and I e-mailed him about running and carry options. He's really into both. The answer I got from him was the belly band thing. When you mentioned pocket I thought it would bounce around and be uncomfortable while running. The thought entered my mind that you could possibly get a firm elastic knee brace type material and wrap the pocket under the shorts to the leg. It would keep everything in place. Comfort level may not be optimum, but it is an interesting thing to experiment with.

CrimsonBloodn62

1st Team
Feb 1, 2002
Tuscumbia, AL
Another thing you will want to keep in mind when deciding on which gun you want to purchase is ammo prices. How often do you want to shoot can get expensive depending on calibers. For instance, I buy in bulks of 1000 rounds and a box of 1000 usually runs around $225.00 for Remington 9mm 115 grain. Remington 45 ammo runs over $300 for box of 1000. I shoot quit often and it can get expensive.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Thank you for all the feedback. After handling different guns I went with the Ruger LC9. It’s in my price range & I think will be a good gun, especially for a beginner with handguns like me. Merry Christmas to me :)

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Thank you for all the replies. You’ve all been very helpful and have given me some great advice. I guess I should give a little more info as to what I’m looking for in a pistol. I’m a runner but had stopped running in town due to no leash laws and a lot of transient people/traffic in our small town, especially around the jail. That’s what I wanted a pocket pistol such as the 380. But after reading your responses I’m going to look @ a few others too. Might be a good idea to get one pistol which can serve more than one purpose. Seems like the Kahr cm- 9 might be a good multi purpose gun for me. I do plan to go to a place like Hoover Tactical and rent/try out some pistols.

for running in a sketchy area/situation, you may also want to try one of these. the smallest one is pretty easy to carry in your hand while running. when i was running to and from work, i had to go through a sketchy part of south atlanta with lots of junkyards/old industrial yards with associated dogs. it makes a pretty intimidating sound when extended quickly and on at least one occasion that sound stopped an aggressive dog in its tracks before it got to me.

Last edited:

Valley View

3rd Team
Nov 7, 2016
Williamson County, TN
Some may think this weapon is too small for self defense, but I love to carry my Kel Tec PMR30, which is a .22 magnum semi auto. It is lightweight, full size, holds 30 rounds, and spits fire. Early on these guns had reliability issues due to jams, but no more. Mine has not missed a load after hundreds of shots. As previously noted, shot placement is better than large caliber. In my training I was taught to shoot 2 to the body and 1 to the head. If you are accurate, the .22 magnum is more than capable.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
for running in a sketchy area/situation, you may also want to try one of these. the smallest one is pretty easy to carry in your hand while running. when i was running to and from work, i had to go through a sketchy part of south atlanta with lots of junkyards/old industrial yards with associated dogs. it makes a pretty intimidating sound when extended quickly and on at least one occasion that sound stopped an aggressive dog in its tracks before it got to me.

Thank you for the recommendation. I’ve used stout pepper spray for years. It’s worked well too. I’ll definitely check this out too.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.