I'm with Saban - hate this early signing period

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I mean, there is no buildup hype, no big board countdown, no site crash, got Christmas coming up then New Years, still shopping for family and no fax girls...this is just crummy! So Feb 7th is going to be what, us Tide fans chewing our nails whether or not we get one or two prized recruits? Man, miss the good ole days already :rolleye2:

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
I mean, there is no buildup hype, no big board countdown, no site crash, got Christmas coming up then New Years, still shopping for family and no fax girls...this is just crummy! So Feb 7th is going to be what, us Tide fans chewing our nails whether or not we get one or two prized recruits? Man, miss the good ole days already :rolleye2:
Especially the fax girls thing ..

smith5753

1st Team
Sep 12, 2010
Guntersville , AL
It will be interesting to see over the next 4-5 years, if it lasts that long, exactly how this affects our recruiting. For the most part, every year there isn't a ton of drama for us and we know within 3-5 spots who were getting. I would say that most of those same guys are the ones signing today.

So, which has more of an impact on us: not having a commit flip late or losing the ability to flip a guy late? Probably not much of a difference. The real difference may come from the staff being able to focus 100% of their attention on those last few spots. I see that as a potential real positive for coach Saban and company. Will be interesting to see how it plays out or of it burns out.

RobK

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2004
Holts Summit, MO
knodell.blog-city.com
I don't like it either. It forces programs like ours to show our cards without more evaluation time, doesn't give us time to react and adapt to early NFL departures, and hurts those unheralded players who might benefit with a better opportunity from the added evaluation time. Perhaps it helps the Group of 5 and lower-level Power 5 programs when we have to show our cards sooner.

I don't like it either. It forces programs like ours to show our cards without more evaluation time, doesn't give us time to react and adapt to early NFL departures, and hurts those unheralded players who might benefit with a better opportunity from the added evaluation time. Perhaps it helps the Group of 5 and lower-level Power 5 programs when we have to show our cards sooner.
For some reason I believe that’s exactly what it is there for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[emoji208]

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
For some reason I believe that’s exactly what it is there for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro[emoji208]
You are 100% correct on that one my friend. But something that Moon said in another thread - Coach will adapt and create an advantage for Alabama Football somehow. Dude is a recruiting machine.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
Not a fan. Imagine teams/coaches that played a bowl game this week or today.

I thinkCNS hit the nail on the head- it's too much when you need to focus on game prep.

Plus, you'll see more schools not give LOIs (Joseph) to kids who are borderline academically and they'll get their feelings hurt and sign with another school.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
If we're going to have one, it needs to be in August before the season begins like basketball does. No reason for it to only be a month and a half before the original.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
If we're going to have one, it needs to be in August before the season begins like basketball does. No reason for it to only be a month and a half before the original.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not a fan and if we're going to do it, I agree that doing it before the season makes more sense.

One potential positive is that the staff can now focus its efforts between now and February on the last few guys we need in the class. Maybe that leads to flipping a guy a two that we didn't expect.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The good news - all CFP teams have to deal with it. But, if you have to have it in December, it should be during the normal recruiting period, not afterward, during the quiet period. This distracts coaches who need to be preparing their teams for bowls from doing that job. Not sure how that can possibly be good for the game.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The good news - all CFP teams have to deal with it. But, if you have to have it in December, it should be during the normal recruiting period, not afterward, during the quiet period. This distracts coaches who need to be preparing their teams for bowls from doing that job. Not sure how that can possibly be good for the game.
Just think about the teams that played bowl games this past weekend. How were their coaches able to recruit? That's one weekend for OVs lost. It makes absolutely no sense.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.