Star Wars: The Last Jedi "Fight Room" Let Spoilers Abound

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
So apparently the new Star Wars film has sent the nerd community into a throat-slitting civil war. It's either the greatest film since "Empire Strikes Back" or the worst since "Attack of the Clones."

If you have seen it, which is it and why?

How could it have better if you did not enjoy it?

What were your expectations entering the movie?

FWIW having seen the rest of director Rian Johnson's brief filmography I was not surprised to learn that this film was divisive. "Brick" is certainly not a crowd pleaser and is super off beat and "The Brother's Bloom" is a strange mix between indie darling and schmaltzy crowd pleaser. "Looper" is the most direct comparison and audiences were split fairly down the middle on that as well. Most people either consider him a genius or a hack.

Last edited:

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I've seen it twice

Liked it the first time, loved it the second

It's better than the prequels, better than Rogue One, doesn't get quite to the original trilogy

loved that Johnson didn't go safe and just remake Empire like JJ did with Force Awakens and New Hope.

A couple things fell a little flat but overall it worked well for me

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
I thought it was fantastic. I loved almost everything about the movie, acting directing, script...loved it all. It's the first movie in the series since Empire that genuinely surprised and shocked me, in a good way. I thought the story was excellent and I really enjoyed what they did with Luke and Rey. The Snoke/Rey/Kylo torture/fight scene was one of the best moments in the whole series IMO. Maybe the comedy was a little much in some parts but, not enough to really bother me and the Leia flying scene was a little odd but, again not enough to bother me much. Great movie IMO. I'd rank it 3rd in the series for now, right behind TESB and ANH.

I had no preconceived expectations going in, no theories I was wishing to see either. I went in expecting anything knowing Johnson's previous work. I think many fans got caught up in all these theories and hopes from TFA that they were always going to be upset unless it played out exactly like it did in there heads for the last 2 years.

I have a friend in Orlando who hated it, everything I loved about it, he hated. He then said something I found interesting. He said he was wanting to see Luke train Rey like Yoda trained him and he was wanting to see Luke fight with a lightsaber. I find that funny because that would have been basically a retread of TESB and one of TFA biggest criticisms from many fans was that it was ANH retread. So, as much as fans claim to want to see new and surprising things, in the end I believe most want things to remain the same. Why do you think Marvel movies are always such huge hits even thought they are all basically the same story over and over; big bad dude wants to destroy a world, heroes save the world.

TFA received mostly positive reactions from fans because it wrapped us in a warm cosy Star Wars blanket. It was familiar and comfortable. Hey, I love TFA but, TLJ is just on another level all together. I'm thrilled that someone finally had the guts to try something new, take the series in a different direction and it completely worked for me.

One thing that has been fun is seeing these new SW films with my 10 year old daughter. I have turned her into a SW nerd and while she loves the PT and OT, these new movies are her favorite. She has developed this connection with Rey that reminds me of the connection I had with Luke and Han when I was a kid. Through her, these last 2 Episode films have brought me back to my childhood unlike any other movie.

Last edited:

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007

Some folks are never happy. Just don't overthink it and enjoy.

I liked it a lot. Will see it again in theaters. Mark Hammill is still awesome and will be missed outside of glowing blue silhouette.

The movie even tries repeatedly to tell all the Star Wars fans to stop living in the past.

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
I saw it last night and really liked it. I'll have to see it a few times before I rank it among all the others.

Star Wars fanatics are the worst. They're impossible to make happy.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The Last Jedi was a weird movie for me. I forgave the "safeness" of The Force Awakens because I did feel the need for Star Wars to "feel fun again" after the overwrought prequels. Still, I wanted the next one to push the envelope and shake things up. So The Last Jedi was awesome, right? Eh, I don't know!

I am delighted that Disney allowed a movie where the heroes basically accomplished nothing but take massive losses for the entire movie. I just don't feel like enough changed amongst the heroes somehow. Rey didn't really bend towards the dark side in any significant way. Ben Solo/Kylo Ren did the ultimate double-cross just to do a "ayyyyy just kidding!" Finn is still the reluctant hero who comes through in the end. Poe got a ton more camera time and mostly just put people's lives in danger. Compare this to Empire: Han is in a carbon block, Luke is minus a hand and a lightsaber, he just discovered he's basically the spawn of the devil in this universe, the rebellion in a ragtag armada on the run. We get the last piece in TLJ but where are the big character and plot developments that are all that different from where we started the movie? It was 2 hours of rollercoaster for nothing...

With all that said, if you are just taking the movie in without thinking about it then it is enjoyable stuff. The fact that the story was a jumbled, about 20-minutes-too-long mess doesn't really enter your mind until you're driving back home from the theater.

Also the biggest "Mary Sue" in this movie was that kid in the very last scene of the movie. I get it, we gotta make sure the kids in the theater have a stand-in so they can feel like they're in the universe and need more Star Wars toys. But the last scene of the movie?! Oh my god...get that crap outta here.

Last edited:

BamaSC

All-SEC
Oct 17, 1999
Chapin, SC

Disclosure: I’ve seen every SW movie in the theaters when released from the beginning, but don’t consider myself a SW “fan”. I have enjoyed some of them, and didn’t enjoy others.

I just got back from watching TLJ and my first impression is it’s much better than TFA but not quite as good as R1. As rgw mentioned, the end result is basically where it all started but the journey was at least for the most part enjoyable. Parts of it felt like a mash-up of TESB and ROTJ but didn’t feel like a complete rip-off like TFA. And thankfully, they didn’t resort to blowing up another Death Star!

There were a few cringe-worthy moments (Leia flying through space, the squirrels, the annoying oriental girl), but they didn’t detract too much from the movie. For the life of me I couldn’t figure out why Laura Dern had to stay and pilot the doomed cruiser. Did they not have auto-pilot on it? Of course we find out why, but could they have really anticipated that?

The special effects seemed excellent, although it was a little hard to tell since somebody bought the 3D tickets. It felt more analog and not like the CGI messes that the prequels were.

Overall I found it enjoyable and am glad to finally see a worthy movie back in the main series.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Yep. This almost ends like status quo ante for the main cast but the ride does count. It is an interesting ride.

AV8N

1st Team
Sep 18, 2013

I thought it was well done, although the treatment of the big questions that came out of TFA was weird.
Who were Rey’s parents? Nobody you’d know.
What’s the deal with Snoke? Doesn’t matter, he’s dead.
Sure kept the nerds busy debating it on the internet for over two years though!
Also, Captain Phasma is the new Boba Fett. Cool costume, minimal screen time and a quick demise.
Of course, the door is wide open for Episode IX to change our point of view on any of these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi "Fight Room" Let Spoilers Abound

Loved the movie for the most part but wouldn't put it above Force Awakens and therefore the original 3. My biggest issue with the movie (besides a oddly handled story line) was the comic relief seemed to be over the top and not as fluid as I would like. To be frank there were a couple of parts that remind me of Marvel movies (which I love) and just didn't feel like it fit.

Very good movie but slightly below my expectations. That said, I need to see it again to fully form my opinion.

EDIT: Personally, I loved the handling of the "Big Questions." There are only so many twists you can do with "Who are Rey's parents?" and "Who is Snoke?" and frankly none of them would have been very satisfying. I like they created questions you wanted answered and then gave you some pretty simple answers.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Personally, I loved the handling of the "Big Questions." There are only so many twists you can do with "Who are Ray's parents?" and "Who is Snoke?" and frankly none of them would have been very satisfying. I like they created questions you wanted answered and then gave you some pretty simple answers.
Agreed. And if Disney handles this franchise as they have the Marvel series, we'll likely learn more about Snoke's background at some point. I think I read that Disney's plan is to release a new Star Wars movie every year at Christmas time...

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

Agreed. And if Disney handles this franchise as they have the Marvel series, we'll likely learn more about Snoke's background at some point. I think I read that Disney's plan is to release a new Star Wars movie every year at Christmas time...
not always Christmas. the Han Solo movie comes out in May and then Episode 9 will be Christmas 19

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed

It felt like just another SW fan to me.

I am beyond ready for them to move on from the Skywalker/Solo family drama.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Walked out of Rogue One two years ago and haven’t seen anything about any of them since. Not knocking anyone who likes it - to each his or her own - but it seems kind of child level make believe to me. I’m just saying.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Walked out of Rogue One two years ago and haven’t seen anything about any of them since. Not knocking anyone who likes it - to each his or her own - but it seems kind of child level make believe to me. I’m just saying.
LOL, this is the part that cracks me up - this is a movie franchise made for teenagers. Why anyone expect to feel the same way they did when they first saw these movies 40 years ago is beyond me.

No actor will ever win an Oscar for a SW film - they're not trying to make a serious film.

http://babylonbee.com/news/man-comp...-space-wizards-fighting-colored-laser-sticks/

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
LOL, this is the part that cracks me up - this is a movie franchise made for teenagers. Why anyone expect to feel the same way they did when they first saw these movies 40 years ago is beyond me.

No actor will ever win an Oscar for a SW film - they're not trying to make a serious film.

http://babylonbee.com/news/man-comp...-space-wizards-fighting-colored-laser-sticks/
That’s fine.

But few movies inspire seemingly normal adults to dress up like the characters, which gets kind of interesting.

Btw - most Oscar winning films I’ve watched were stupid in my view. A few were good.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.