Avoid Memphis - Confederate statues coming down - Page 11
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar

Re: Dedications over Time of Union Monuments in Five States

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    that's not what the judge said at all. he is actually saying the exact opposite
    I believe that the corporate entity called Birmingham was created by the Alabama legislature. Being a creature of the legislature, restricting its powers is not beyond the pale.

As for "corporate free speech" rights, that seems like a problematic concept. My view of Lincoln's legacy is that the people do not have the right to restrict the powers of the general government and that government does have the power to violently punish any people who assert that right. Yet, there is a temple to the god-emperor on the mall in the federal district, so it seems that my corporate free speech rights are being violated by being forced to support such a monument.
    Of course, nobody who erected the Lincoln Memorial said that they were erecting it because they were celebrating the power of the general government to kill any people insubordinate enough to tell that government what it could and could not do. Quite the opposite. The walls are covered with platitudes like "government of the people, by the people, and for the people" not perishing from the earth, etc. Still, I have my views, and the existence of that monument is in defiance of my views, so I am forced to support the expression of views I hold repugnant. I just have to deal with it, or avert my eyes.

2. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Tidewater View Post
    I believe that the corporate entity called Birmingham was created by the Alabama legislature. Being a creature of the legislature, restricting its powers is not beyond the pale.

As for "corporate free speech" rights, that seems like a problematic concept. My view of Lincoln's legacy is that the people do not have the right to restrict the powers of the general government and that government does have the power to violently punish any people who assert that right. Yet, there is a temple to the god-emperor on the mall in the federal district, so it seems that my corporate free speech rights are being violated by being forced to support such a monument.
    Of course, nobody who erected the Lincoln Memorial said that they were erecting it because they were celebrating the power of the general government to kill any people insubordinate enough to tell that government what it could and could not do. Quite the opposite. The walls are covered with platitudes like "government of the people, by the people, and for the people" not perishing from the earth, etc. Still, I have my views, and the existence of that monument is in defiance of my views, so I am forced to support the expression of views I hold repugnant. I just have to deal with it, or avert my eyes.
    not only is your cause lost, it is being rubbed in your face. i imagine that is quite tough to live with. my deepest sympathies go out to you.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

Confederate Ave. is gone. Will other rebel-named roads meet same fate?

good riddance

Hundreds of people are expected to march down the avenue formerly known as Confederate on Saturday morning to celebrate its new name, United.

The march, during the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday weekend, caps a years-long battle to change the contentious name of a major street that runs through racially mixed neighborhoods on the city’s south side. Organizers of the march expect hundreds of people to participate, including congregants from 24 churches as well as residents of the surrounding communities of Grant Park and Ormewood Park.
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar

not only is your cause lost, it is being rubbed in your face. i imagine that is quite tough to live with. my deepest sympathies go out to you.
    Thanks.
    As long as I believe in the right of the people to govern themselves and in a constitution that substantively limits the powers of the government it created, I will honor the service of Confederate veterans.

For what it's worth, here is a link to the text of Judge Maffeo's ruling.
    Last edited by Tidewater; January 19th, 2019 at 04:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tidewater View Post
    Thanks.
    As long as I believe in the right of the people to govern themselves and in a constitution that substantively limits the powers of the government it created, I will honor the service of Confederate veterans.

For what it's worth, here is a link to the text of Judge Maffeo's ruling.
    yeah, the confederates were fighting to make sure the slaves would not be allowed to govern themselves and for a constitution that would support that. but go ahead and honor away.
    Last edited by 92tide; January 20th, 2019 at 01:20 PM.

- George Orwell

ó Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar

Re: Avoid Memphis - Confederate statues coming down

Posting in honor and memory of the brave Germans who died for their country. I mean, they didnít all kill Jews. Some of them may have been Trumpís cousins, unless bone spurs run in the family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post

Posting in honor and memory of the brave Germans who died for their country. I mean, they didn’t all kill Jews. Some of them may have been Trump’s cousins, unless bone spurs run in the family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    yeah, the confederates were fighting to make sure the slaves would not be allowed to govern themselves and for a constitution that would support that. but go ahead and honor away.
    Some people will always try to add 2+2 and try their best to get 5 out of it. If y'all knew history just half as much as Tidewater does...…………. But Alas, Liberals are always right even if totally wrong.
    Formerly known as BamaInCummingGa

Quote Originally Posted by BamaInMo1 View Post
    Some people will always try to add 2+2 and try their best to get 5 out of it. If y'all knew history just half as much as Tidewater does...…………. But Alas, Liberals are always right even if totally wrong.
    Like the inner party (1984)