Avoid Memphis - Confederate statues coming down - Page 2
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    BamaNation All-American CrimsonNagus's Avatar

Re: Avoid Memphis - Confederate statues coming down

So, why exactly am I suppose to avoid Memphis?

Seriously, any trip I may have ever planned to Memphis would not have been because of these statues and, I will not avoid any possible trips to Memphis because they are gone.

2. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonNagus View Post
    So, why exactly am I suppose to avoid Memphis?

Seriously, any trip I may have ever planned to Memphis would not have been because of these statues and, I will not avoid any possible trips to Memphis because they are gone.
    I think the implication here is that there would be some violence due to protesting. I can't imagine that will actually be the case.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    I think the implication here is that there would be some violence due to protesting. I can't imagine that will actually be the case.
    That's why they did it so abruptly. Kept Spencer and his Brownshirts out of it.
    Just a barner.
    Off the Gus Bus and on the Pearl Parade!

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar

Is the group that bought the parks going to own them permanently or sell them back to the city now that the statutes are gone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    Is the group that bought the parks going to own them permanently or sell them back to the city now that the statutes are gone?

Right now I think they're going to own them long term. Part of the agreement is that they remain parks with security provided by the city with an eventual transition to private security.
    Just a barner.
    Off the Gus Bus and on the Pearl Parade!

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by AUDub View Post
    That's why they did it so abruptly. Kept Spencer and his Brownshirts out of it.
    I think the bigger part was they could get it done before stop orders could be made over any illegal shenanigans or while lawsuits are worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by day-day View Post
    I think the bigger part was they could get it done before stop orders could be made over any illegal shenanigans or while lawsuits are worked out.
    They wanted to avoid a court injunction as it could get caught up in the courts for years. Since the state couldn't keep its nose out of Memphis' business, they outsmarted them. I'm rather fond of it.

Quote Originally Posted by AUDub View Post
    Right now I think they're going to own them long term. Part of the agreement is that they remain parks with security provided by the city with an eventual transition to private security.
    Yah, from what I've read the plan is that Memphis Greenspace will own the property from here on.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar

I wonder if Birmingham could get away with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    I wonder if Birmingham could get away with this.
    Is there a similar state law in AL preventing the city from simply removing them?
    Last edited by crimsonaudio; December 21st, 2017 at 08:02 PM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar

The Forrest monument was dedicated in May 1905. At the ceremony, Gen. George W. Gordon delivered the dedicatory address. He said in part:
    "We have not assembled here to-day to glorify war. We are not here to exalt the direful and sanguinary science of human carnage, but to salute and accentuate the name, and to commemorate in language, in bronze and in marble, the masterful prowess and martial genius of Tennessee's, if not America's, greatest, most original and dazzling soldier, Lieut. Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest. We dedicate this durable testimonial, so imposing, so impressive, and so expressive of the character of the man to the imperishable proclamation of our veneration for his memory, our gratitude for his services and sacrifices, and our admiration for his valor and genius. His natural endowments, both physical and mental, were extraordinary. He began his military career at the age of 40, the same age at which Caesar began his conquest of the Nation, and, like the great Roman, he never lost a battle. He was one of the world's few commanders who could personally engage in the combat and at the same time direct the action of his men. He accomplished more with the resources at his command than any commander developed by the war at the same time displaying greater personal prowess than any; and these, by establishing a greater claim than any to be called 'the American Mars.'"
    Nashville Tennessean, May 17, 1905, p. 8, col. 3.

It seems Gen. Gordon did not get the memo.

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Dumb old me didnít even know there were any Confederate statues in Memphis. Doesnít surprise me but I didnít know it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tidewater View Post
    The Forrest monument was dedicated in May 1905. At the ceremony, Gen. George W. Gordon delivered the dedicatory address. He said in part:

Nashville Tennessean, May 17, 1905, p. 8, col. 3.

It seems Gen. Gordon did not get the memo.
    Yah, there are quite a few in Memphis who understand and defend Forrest's history, but I'm like many out there who believe that when a large percentage of the population find his likeness offensive, it's worth removing. I don't care if they misunderstand history, there's no real benefit to having these statues of Confederate soldiers in Memphis, yet there are a few negatives.