Avoid Memphis - Confederate statues coming down
Page 1 of 15 1234567811 ... LastLast
    BamaNation First Team

Avoid Memphis - Confederate statues coming down

After months of banter between the Memphis City Council and the Sons of the Confederacy, the Memphis City Council has SOLD the parks where statues of Jefferson Davis (River Park) and Nathan Bedford Forrest (Health Sciences Park) have stood forever.

Chasing the information now but seems the council did and end run and sold to a "non-profit" for some stupid cheap price and that 501(c)3 is now removing the statues. Nothing written yet but the TV interview I believe said the purchasing party was GreenFaith. If so, that is a Ministry based in Colorado----and there is a reason they are based in Colorado. They are the First Church of Cannabis.

How fitting-------

https://www.memphisflyer.com/NewsBlo...derate-statues
    Last edited by OBMS; December 20th, 2017 at 07:59 PM.

Re: Avoid Memphis - Confederate statues coming down

is the tiki torch brigade on the way?
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.

- George Orwell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they dont have to worry about the answers.

Thomas Pynchon

Quote Originally Posted by OBMS View Post
    After months of banter between the Memphis City Council and the Sons of the Confederacy, the Memphis City Council has SOLD the parks where statues of Jefferson Davis (River Park) and Nathan Bedford Forrest (Health Sciences Park) have stood forever.

Chasing the information now but seems the council did and end run and sold to a "non-profit" for some stupid cheap price and that 501(c)3 is now removing the statues. Nothing written yet but the TV interview I believe said the purchasing party was GreenFaith. If so, that is a Ministry based in Colorado----and there is a reason they are based in Colorado. They are the First Church of Cannabis.

How fitting-------

https://www.memphisflyer.com/NewsBlo...derate-statues
    What is the "memphis flyer?"
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

BamaNation All-American gtowntide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    What is the "memphis flyer?"
    It's a local entertainment newspaper/magazine.

BamaNation Hall of Fame

I doubt there will be much of a stink over this. I wonder if there will be a question as to who owns the statue. It was paid for by an association over a hundred years ago; I guess it belonged to the city. The remains of General Forrest and wife are located in the park.

I'll send out a welcome to Memphis to the 20th (or 21st) century. Its about time.

The city council did this because the state had placed a rule stating that any statues like this had to be approved by the Tennessee Historical Commission before removal. When Memphis applied for the removal of these two statues, they were denied, so they came up with this clever end-around and did it late at night after the joint assembly had recessed for the day and they had it already lined up to have them immediately removed.

As for who bought the properties is called Memphis Greenspace, it's not a faith-based 501(c)3.
    Oderint dum metuant - Lucius Accius

And for the record, I don't expect any issues from protests, etc. over this - while Memphis has a volatile history, the people (along with the leadership) have handled protests better than anywhere else I'm aware of over the last decade or more.

BamaNation First Team

Thanks for the correction. I was having trouble finding anything written last night.
    That is the same group that is working with Shelby Farms and the Greenline---right?

BamaNation Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    The city council did this because the state had placed a rule stating that any statues like this had to be approved by the Tennessee Historical Commission before removal. When Memphis applied for the removal of these two statues, they were denied, so they came up with this clever end-around and did it late at night after the joint assembly had recessed for the day and they had it already lined up to have them immediately removed.

As for who bought the properties is called Memphis Greenspace, it's not a faith-based 501(c)3.
    In the same way that I dislike federal government getting in state level business, I dislike state government getting in local level business unless there is a powerful reason for it. This is one of those cases where I think the decision should be left up to local governments in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by OBMS View Post
    That is the same group that is working with Shelby Farms and the Greenline---right?
    Nope, they're all separate.

The GreenLine is run by the Greater Memphis Greenline (a 501(c)3).
    Shelby Farms is run by the Shelby Farms Park Conservancy (also a 501(c)3).

There's very little out there about Memphis Greenspace - I suspect it's a NFP that was set up specifically for this purpose. I'm sure more will come out soon enough, but I'd be surprised if either the mayor or someone from the city council wasn't involved - it was too perfectly planned...

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    Nope, they're all separate.

The GreenLine is run by the Greater Memphis Greenline (a 501(c)3).
    Shelby Farms is run by the Shelby Farms Park Conservancy (also a 501(c)3).

There's very little out there about Memphis Greenspace - I suspect it's a NFP that was set up specifically for this purpose. I'm sure more will come out soon enough, but I'd be surprised if either the mayor or someone from the city council wasn't involved - it was too perfectly planned...
    This morning on WSFA in Montgomery the reporter mentioned the parks being sold for $1,000 a piece. If that was the case and someone voting was involved, wouldn't they be finding him or herself in some legal trouble?
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    This morning on WSFA in Montgomery the reporter mentioned the parks being sold for $1,000 a piece. If that was the case and someone voting was involved, wouldn't they be finding him or herself in some legal trouble?
    We'll see. I suspect Mayor Strickland is smart enough to not do something blatantly illegal, but the Memphis city council isn't exactly full of rocket surgeons...

ETA: what I want by being involved is helping guide the process. I did not mean to insinuate that the mayor or a council member was the owner of memphis Greenspace.