Avoid Memphis - Confederate statues coming down

OBMS

1st Team
Jan 9, 2011
After months of banter between the Memphis City Council and the Sons of the Confederacy, the Memphis City Council has SOLD the parks where statues of Jefferson Davis (River Park) and Nathan Bedford Forrest (Health Sciences Park) have stood forever.

Chasing the information now but seems the council did and end run and sold to a "non-profit" for some stupid cheap price and that 501(c)3 is now removing the statues. Nothing written yet but the TV interview I believe said the purchasing party was GreenFaith. If so, that is a Ministry based in Colorado----and there is a reason they are based in Colorado. They are the First Church of Cannabis.

How fitting-------

https://www.memphisflyer.com/NewsBl...y-council-votes-to-remove-confederate-statues

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
After months of banter between the Memphis City Council and the Sons of the Confederacy, the Memphis City Council has SOLD the parks where statues of Jefferson Davis (River Park) and Nathan Bedford Forrest (Health Sciences Park) have stood forever.

Chasing the information now but seems the council did and end run and sold to a "non-profit" for some stupid cheap price and that 501(c)3 is now removing the statues. Nothing written yet but the TV interview I believe said the purchasing party was GreenFaith. If so, that is a Ministry based in Colorado----and there is a reason they are based in Colorado. They are the First Church of Cannabis.

How fitting-------

https://www.memphisflyer.com/NewsBl...y-council-votes-to-remove-confederate-statues
What is the "memphis flyer?"

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
I doubt there will be much of a stink over this. I wonder if there will be a question as to who owns the statue. It was paid for by an association over a hundred years ago; I guess it belonged to the city. The remains of General Forrest and wife are located in the park.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
The city council did this because the state had placed a rule stating that any statues like this had to be approved by the Tennessee Historical Commission before removal. When Memphis applied for the removal of these two statues, they were denied, so they came up with this clever end-around and did it late at night after the joint assembly had recessed for the day and they had it already lined up to have them immediately removed.

As for who bought the properties is called Memphis Greenspace, it's not a faith-based 501(c)3.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
And for the record, I don't expect any issues from protests, etc. over this - while Memphis has a volatile history, the people (along with the leadership) have handled protests better than anywhere else I'm aware of over the last decade or more.

OBMS

1st Team
Jan 9, 2011
Thanks for the correction. I was having trouble finding anything written last night.
That is the same group that is working with Shelby Farms and the Greenline---right?

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
The city council did this because the state had placed a rule stating that any statues like this had to be approved by the Tennessee Historical Commission before removal. When Memphis applied for the removal of these two statues, they were denied, so they came up with this clever end-around and did it late at night after the joint assembly had recessed for the day and they had it already lined up to have them immediately removed.

As for who bought the properties is called Memphis Greenspace, it's not a faith-based 501(c)3.
In the same way that I dislike federal government getting in state level business, I dislike state government getting in local level business unless there is a powerful reason for it. This is one of those cases where I think the decision should be left up to local governments in the first place.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
That is the same group that is working with Shelby Farms and the Greenline---right?
Nope, they're all separate.

The GreenLine is run by the Greater Memphis Greenline (a 501(c)3).
Shelby Farms is run by the Shelby Farms Park Conservancy (also a 501(c)3).

There's very little out there about Memphis Greenspace - I suspect it's a NFP that was set up specifically for this purpose. I'm sure more will come out soon enough, but I'd be surprised if either the mayor or someone from the city council wasn't involved - it was too perfectly planned...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Nope, they're all separate.

The GreenLine is run by the Greater Memphis Greenline (a 501(c)3).
Shelby Farms is run by the Shelby Farms Park Conservancy (also a 501(c)3).

There's very little out there about Memphis Greenspace - I suspect it's a NFP that was set up specifically for this purpose. I'm sure more will come out soon enough, but I'd be surprised if either the mayor or someone from the city council wasn't involved - it was too perfectly planned...
This morning on WSFA in Montgomery the reporter mentioned the parks being sold for $1,000 a piece. If that was the case and someone voting was involved, wouldn't they be finding him or herself in some legal trouble?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
This morning on WSFA in Montgomery the reporter mentioned the parks being sold for $1,000 a piece. If that was the case and someone voting was involved, wouldn't they be finding him or herself in some legal trouble?
We'll see. I suspect Mayor Strickland is smart enough to not do something blatantly illegal, but the Memphis city council isn't exactly full of rocket surgeons...

ETA: what I want by being involved is helping guide the process. I did not mean to insinuate that the mayor or a council member was the owner of memphis Greenspace.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
So, why exactly am I suppose to avoid Memphis?

Seriously, any trip I may have ever planned to Memphis would not have been because of these statues and, I will not avoid any possible trips to Memphis because they are gone.
I think the implication here is that there would be some violence due to protesting. I can't imagine that will actually be the case.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Is the group that bought the parks going to own them permanently or sell them back to the city now that the statutes are gone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I think the bigger part was they could get it done before stop orders could be made over any illegal shenanigans or while lawsuits are worked out.
They wanted to avoid a court injunction as it could get caught up in the courts for years. Since the state couldn't keep its nose out of Memphis' business, they outsmarted them. I'm rather fond of it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.