UGA has signed 8 of the Top 38 in the country - 6 5* guys

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Kirby will be the 1500 pound Gorilla in the conference for some time to come. He is a UGA Alum, former player, young and, as we all know, has been trained by Saban for an extensive period. I admire his success but beginning to get uncomfortable with his recruiting prowess.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
On another thread, we discussed the differences between Richt and Smart. There's a big one. Richt was lazy, and satisfied with skimming off whatever he could from Georgia's in-state bounty, which allowed other schools to swoop in.

Kirby grew up under Saban's mantra: Outwork everyone else or die.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Kirby will be the 1500 pound Gorilla in the conference for some time to come. He is a UGA Alum, former player, young and, as we all know, has been trained by Saban for an extensive period. I admire his success but beginning to get uncomfortable with his recruiting prowess.
Kirby will recruit at our level but don't get uncomfortable. Coach Saban needed a challenge and he has gotten it with his "grasshopper" which will keep him around longer IMO. So much talent in GA that he can't get them all and the recruits in AL next year will be much better.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Hopefully Georgia, Florida and UTee all get very competitive again and eat each other's lunch.

Poor UCSe and Muschamp.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Meant to add: Georgia, for years, has been a sleeping giant IMO. Can you imagine what CNS might have done there with all the talent in the state???

Young Kirby will bring 'em back, but, having said all that, it is still true that they haven't won a NC since 1980.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Mark Schlabach pretty much nailed it...

https://twitter.com/abc/status/943657853499445248

And by having the early signing period, Kirby was able to lockup guys before they were able to really get a relationship with the new staffs at those schools.

I don't know how many seniors were starters or were major backups, but dang 31 seniors is a lot of players. I also think the Fromm vs Fields QB derby next year is going to be interesting. I am assuming Eason transfers ASAP. I suspect next year both Mullen and Pruitt will make it a lot tougher for Smart.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I checked UGA's scholarship list on 247 and only counted 15 seniors. Not sure where Schlabach got his number. Possibly included walk-ons?

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I've watched and listened to Coach Smart's pressers and he sounds like someone you would want to play for. I mean, he comes across as someone who cares about his kids and is very serious about his responsibilities to push his team to it's highest possible competitive level.

You have to appreciate that no matter who you pull for. I'm not at all surprised that their recruiting is going so well.

Next few years are going to be very interesting with all the coaching changes plus what Coach Smart has done at UGA....

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
It could very well be that Kirby to UGA is the single most significant development in the SEC since 2007.
If Kirby wins big and consistently, the "model" of a young coach staying a long time under a top coach...the way Kirby did under CNS....will become much more legit and it may help us not have all this turnover year after year.

Just because someone coaches under a great coach for two years doesn't mean they'll learn the finer elements of their craft. Kirby, staying so long in CNS's shadow, I believe has learned how to run a great program. The verdict is still out and will be for a few more years...but he's got it headed in the right direction.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
If Kirby wins big and consistently, the "model" of a young coach staying a long time under a top coach...the way Kirby did under CNS....will become much more legit and it may help us not have all this turnover year after year.

Just because someone coaches under a great coach for two years doesn't mean they'll learn the finer elements of their craft. Kirby, staying so long in CNS's shadow, I believe has learned how to run a great program. The verdict is still out and will be for a few more years...but he's got it headed in the right direction.
Right now he's got pedigree and buzz..... he will need to survive the first mass exodus of that 5* talent. He'll have to parlay that into a NC within 2-3 years to be able to withstand the buzz. Otherwise, he'll be Bob Stoops

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
Yep Kirby is killing us this cycle

We need our new defensive coach to hit the recruiting trail as soon as he can, I hear he's been a pretty effective recruiter

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
Right now he's got pedigree and buzz..... he will need to survive the first mass exodus of that 5* talent. He'll have to parlay that into a NC within 2-3 years to be able to withstand the buzz. Otherwise, he'll be Bob Stoops
well actually Bob Stoops was able to dominate the BIG 12 and appeared numerous times in the NC.
Stoops was at OU for 16 years and was very successful despite only winning 1 NC.
obviously, Stoops had only Texas and occasionally OK St to worried about.
Kirby is in a different league ( SEC) all together, litterally speaking!
if Kirby can win an NC and appear in the Playoffs numerous times then he can be another Stoops.
in fact, he can only dream of that goal at the moment.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
How many scholarships do we have left to offer in February? Have not followed recruiting as closely this year, but it looks like CNS and his staff have a lot of work to do in order to finish strong. Looks like we had a couple of 4 and 5 stars flip to other SEC schools. No QB in this cycle which probably is not a big issue as long as Hurts and Tua remain healthy and no one transfers.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
How many scholarships do we have left to offer in February? Have not followed recruiting as closely this year, but it looks like CNS and his staff have a lot of work to do in order to finish strong. Looks like we had a couple of 4 and 5 stars flip to other SEC schools. No QB in this cycle which probably is not a big issue as long as Hurts and Tua remain healthy and no one transfers.
8 left in this class

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
Sort of a perfect storm with Georgia, a new coach just proved he's capable by winning the SEC, Georgia had a huge talent haul this year and he was able to take them. Player like being part of something new, It won't always be like that and next year everyone will start using the number of 5* talent he has against him. Don't get me wrong, I believe Smart is the real deal and will make Georgia a championship level program, but every year won't be like this. Alabama recruits nationally but focuses most efforts in a 200 mile radius of Tuscaloosa. In that radius there weren't a large number of top players this year but that too won't stay the same. The 2012 class wasn't that impressive for us yet still gave us players like Cooper, Landon Collins, Kenyan Drake, Geno Smith, Dalvin Tomlinson, Ryan Anderson, Reggie Ragland, Denzel Devall, Cyrus Jones. Alabama is not going quietly into the night.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.