Game Thread: OFFICIAL GAME THEAD: Bama vs. Texas...

carder24

All-American
Sep 1, 2007
Huntsville, AL
I think some of y'all are jumping the gun on writing the season off. Good grief!

What we've found out is a team with a quality big man is our achilles.

We are an extremely young team and, unfortunatley, the older guys aren't stepping in and being leaders and, even worse, Riley and Key are liabilities with the poor play.

For starters, I'd like to see Sexton, Petty and Jones play more together. I think we could almost play with all freshmen, except Giddings and Hall and be better.

I think we had the wrong game plan tonight. I think we wanted to get their big in foul trouble, but he's so long he could affect the game regardless. Should have adjusted in the second half and tried to knock down more jumpers, but we kept taking it to the rim unsuccessfully.
Not writing the season off, but this was a poorly played loss...we have the talent and have shown we can play well...but this was the worst effort so far this year, we should have beat both this team and ucf...

ucf we were still getting carried away with with sloppy confidence and no look turnovers that nearly bit us in the la tech game, which was right after the minny game that gave us so much attention, and it caught up with us in that ucf second half

we played well enough to beat az, but home court was a big factor in that game...we get by mercer after the time off...then this game - whole game struggle...riley had no shots, doesn’t look like he was part of the game plan, but it didnt look like the perimeter was the plan or adjustment plan; not sure why key is starting and playing extended minutes right now... this looked like a game for petty if we could have set him up and maybe some other guys mid or long range

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Our Lack of passing is insane. A dribble is never faster than a pass. Even if you are Sexton. We cannot move the ball around effectively with the pass. It’s frustrating.

We may make the tournament, but right now....Key and Dazon are more often a liability than not. Sexton was trying to showcase himself to NBA scouts instead of playing smart, on a bum leg.

Overall.....a stinking, rotten egg of a performance, at a nationally televised game. Ugh.

Tide Rev

All-American
Mar 22, 2000
Ocean Springs, MS
Just my opinion but we look nothing like a team on either end of the floor. We have the talent and it needs to come together. If not, this will be a long and disappointing SEC season.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
I thought this team would win 20 + games this season. Now it will take 12 or 13 wins in conference play to do it. Looking like another 17,18 win season and NIT bid unless something changes fast.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
Our Lack of passing is insane. A dribble is never faster than a pass. Even if you are Sexton. We cannot move the ball around effectively with the pass. It’s frustrating.

We may make the tournament, but right now....Key and Dazon are more often a liability than not. Sexton was trying to showcase himself to NBA scouts instead of playing smart, on a bum leg.

Overall.....a stinking, rotten egg of a performance, at a nationally televised game. Ugh.
yeh, the bad passing is awful to watch but it was the same last year. OUtside of Sexton we just dont have any good ball handlers. Key and Ingram make way too many lazy passes..I said it in another thread last week but we also dont have any pure shooters outside of sexton..That hurt us last night. And enough with playing around with the rotation. Get set on about 8 core guys and dance with them. We dont HAVE to play everyone on the roster..the season isnt over though. i was looking at a tourny appearance as far as my expectations go. we still look like we can make that happen

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
yeh, the bad passing is awful to watch but it was the same last year. OUtside of Sexton we just dont have any good ball handlers. Key and Ingram make way too many lazy passes..I said it in another thread last week but we also dont have any pure shooters outside of sexton..That hurt us last night. And enough with playing around with the rotation. Get set on about 8 core guys and dance with them. We dont HAVE to play everyone on the roster..the season isnt over though. i was looking at a tourny appearance as far as my expectations go. we still look like we can make that happen
You don't think Petty is a pure shooter??? He's the best shooter we've had since Earnest Shelton.

The problem (and especially last night) is we didn't get him near enough touches on the perimeter.

Sexton has got to learn that not every drive should finish at the rim and, right now, our best offense could be the kick out 3 pointer....the thing that got us beat last night.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
we played well enough to beat az, but home court was a big factor in that game...we get by mercer after the time off...then this game - whole game struggle...riley had no shots, doesn’t look like he was part of the game plan, but it didnt look like the perimeter was the plan or adjustment plan; not sure why key is starting and playing extended minutes right now... this looked like a game for petty if we could have set him up and maybe some other guys mid or long range

We probably played as good as we could against Arizona...but that big man they have controlled that game.

Last night, we had the right game plan...get their 7 footer in foul trouble...but the refs didn't cooperate and I think we underestimated how long he plays.

We kept trying to drive to the rim and the plan didn't work and we never adjusted to the kick out, which would have worked if we knock down some 3s.

I think part of the problem with our passing and ball movement is people like Key and even Petty are trying to do things with the ball that they can't do (passing and dribbling). Basically, we look like we play out of control a lot...sometimes Sexton too....they all need to slow down and let the game come to them instead of forcing it.

Tide Rev

All-American
Mar 22, 2000
Ocean Springs, MS
Regardless of how good a shooter we may or may not have, if everything comes off the dribble or drive, it is easy to defend. However, if you move the ball more through the pass, you will get open jumpers. Fundamental basketball. There is no one who is quick enough to keep up or defend when the ball is moving. Last night, a 7 footer controlled our offense because we insisted on driving at him instead of moving the ball and making him move his feet which gave the other 4 defenders an easy time defending us.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
It's a long season and we have plenty of opportunities to redeem last night, but it was disappointing to let the game slip away from us. The sloppy turnovers need to stop if we are to improve.

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006
Based on everything I have seen and read, we have much more talent than we had the last two years. For you people that know and understand college basketball much more than me could you comment on and discuss whether we have a better team than we have had the last two years ( even with the better talent).

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
We have areas of improvement. There's no arguing that.

Some are overreacting. We still don't have a bad loss. The SEC is stronger than it has been in years.

To miss the tournament, we will have to completely bomb in conference play.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Regardless of how good a shooter we may or may not have, if everything comes off the dribble or drive, it is easy to defend. However, if you move the ball more through the pass, you will get open jumpers. Fundamental basketball. There is no one who is quick enough to keep up or defend when the ball is moving. Last night, a 7 footer controlled our offense because we insisted on driving at him instead of moving the ball and making him move his feet which gave the other 4 defenders an easy time defending us.
There were a couple of early games when I saw good passing and ball movement and players hitting open shots from different spots on the floor (not just 3-pointers and shots near the rim). I don't know if facing tougher competition has stopped this or if maybe it has something to dowith which players are on the court at the same time

One of the improvements with Hall this season included his ability to catch a pass and feed it back out without committing a turnover; I have not seen the in-and-out passing lately.

Bamba was a factor but had some clear fouls with his body that were not called which could have impacted the game.

Last edited:

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
You don't think Petty is a pure shooter??? He's the best shooter we've had since Earnest Shelton.

The problem (and especially last night) is we didn't get him near enough touches on the perimeter.

Sexton has got to learn that not every drive should finish at the rim and, right now, our best offense could be the kick out 3 pointer....the thing that got us beat last night.
id say Petty is a volume shooter. not pure shooter. he'll probably either be hot or cold. he's so versatile though i wish he'd take more midrange shots.

Based on everything I have seen and read, we have much more talent than we had the last two years. For you people that know and understand college basketball much more than me could you comment on and discuss whether we have a better team than we have had the last two years ( even with the better talent).
i think we have a better team no doubt. we're not exactly playing chopped liver. even though we are better, we are not Duke. I think some had expectations that were too high. I also think some expected too much out of the others outside of Sexton.

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
Talent wise yes but team chemistry ? .....that's another question. The problem is the two (that being talent and chemistry) must come together to answer that question. The potential is there but it will be hard to determine what this team will be based off what we've seen at this point. There's definitely some fundamentals that must correct themselves before the win column can distance itself greatly from the loss column. If we are purely speaking talent wise yes we are better ,but as a team? That will hopefully improve as conference play opens. Just my opinion RTR

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Talent wise yes but team chemistry ? .....that's another question. The problem is the two (that being talent and chemistry) must come together to answer that question. The potential is there but it will be hard to determine what this team will be based off what we've seen at this point. There's definitely some fundamentals that must correct themselves before the win column can distance itself greatly from the loss column. If we are purely speaking talent wise yes we are better ,but as a team? That will hopefully improve as conference play opens. Just my opinion RTR
We are light years ahead of where we were under Grant. And this year's team is CAJ's most talented team to date.

I do think the "youth" of this team is showing up. I really think outside of Hall and Giddings the freshman are the best players on this team.

Right now they are not playing like a "team" and sometimes I wish Coach would just ease off on the continual subbing. Get our 5 best on the floor and let 'em play for 7-10 minutes at a time.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Again, we are playing a great schedule. Therefore, we might not look as good as last year, but we are.

Riley and Braxton need to get out of their funk from their injuries.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Our bigs don't have a nasty attitude and they need one. Flashes of brilliance here and there are followed by timidity.

We have not learned yet that basketball is a team sport. Too many individuals and not enough team yet.

That said, it seems instead of stepping up other teammates struggle if one of the top guys is struggling. Everyone needs to give their best effort every minute on the floor no matter what's going on around them.

I haven't been able to watch as much as I'd like so far so maybe I have it wrong.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Our bigs don't have a nasty attitude and they need one. Flashes of brilliance here and there are followed by timidity.

We have not learned yet that basketball is a team sport. Too many individuals and not enough team yet.

That said, it seems instead of stepping up other teammates struggle if one of the top guys is struggling. Everyone needs to give their best effort every minute on the floor no matter what's going on around them.

I haven't been able to watch as much as I'd like so far so maybe I have it wrong.
To be fair to Giddens, anytime he gets physical and shows some attitude he gets called for a foul.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.