Let’s Talk About Georgia/Oklahoma

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
College football 2017 offensive line statistics in alphabetical order with adjusted variables according to opposition
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaaol
Thanks for posting.

Did a comparison between ours and OU. Looks like in 9 different key metrics related to the O line, we are ranked higher in 5 of the categories and OU is ranked higher in the other 4. We rank higher in the more run-related categories while OU does in the pass-blocking and sack-related ones.

Last edited:

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
College football 2017 offensive line statistics in alphabetical order with adjusted variables according to opposition
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaaol
This seems to show that our OL is very good run blockers and very poor pass blockers which we already suspected. Our pass blocking stats would even be worse if not for Hurts scrambling ability. It also proves that OU's pass blocking is far superior to ours which confirms what I just said a few minutes ago. It also confirms that we have no chance if we get into too many 3rd and longs against Clemson.

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
Those numbers are all fine well and good. However, 80% of UO's offense is rpo/super quick hit passes. Watch the games. They don't have to hold a pass block that long, so yes, their "pass blocking" numbers are better.

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
Those numbers are all fine well and good. However, 80% of UO's offense is rpo/super quick hit passes. Watch the games. They don't have to hold a pass block that long, so yes, their "pass blocking" numbers are better.
That means they are executing their style of offense, if they're not having to hold the line that long , that's actually good . I actually like the quick hitting passes and they can do wonders against an aggressive defense.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
FWIW, WVa lost to Utah 31-14. WVa got 31 against OU. I didn’t watch the game closely so I don’t know how healthy WVa is.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
Every body that ranks linemen feels this way. Please do a little research. BTW, the Sooners were not finalists for the Moore Award. Alabama was.
Absolutely, but many here forget about that and the fact that the sooner oline was blocking Big12 defenses. There’s no comparison to an SEC dline and a Big12 dline.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Grier was out for the bowl and had a good game against OU. Most offenses do.
I don't think that he played against OU, either.

I checked. Same QB as played today. Grier dis not play at all against OU.

Last edited:

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
A lot of people seem to think that Georgia can just run right through Oklahoma and thus control the clock and keep Mayfield off the field, but I'm not so sure. Looking at the stats OU is ranked 37th in rushing defense (respectable), while ranked 82nd in pass defense (poor). If Georgia had a more balanced attack then I'd say OU would be in a heap of trouble, however it looks like if OU loads the box they have a reasonable chance of slowing the Georgia running game and forcing Fromm to beat them through the air. I'm not sure Fromm would be up to the task in that situation.
Look at those stats closely and you will see why. Remember 2009 when the mighty Texas Longhorns and the Fighting Colts boasted the nation’s “best” defense and #2 rushing defense? I researched it and found ALL but 1 team they played was ranked BELOW 100 in rushing stats. The one team that was was like 78th. We all saw what happened. Ignore Big 12 rushing defensive stats. The league doesn’t run the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
I do not see OU winning it all, if they beat UGA it will take it's toll on them. So much hype on Mayfield, that puts all pressure on him. I feel his hype gets exposed, he will not get a NC.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Landthieves.com seems to be the main free discussion board for OU fans. After reading it for a while last night, they don’t seem too concerned about either the dawgs or us, but they have a few worries about Clemson—at least that’s the impression that I got.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Landthieves.com seems to be the main free discussion board for OU fans. After reading it for a while last night, they don’t seem too concerned about either the dawgs or us, but they have a few worries about Clemson—at least that’s the impression that I got.
If the players think like this, hubris will be their undoing against UGA.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
A lot of people seem to think that Georgia can just run right through Oklahoma and thus control the clock and keep Mayfield off the field, but I'm not so sure.
I am, but they will actually play a game so......

Looking at the stats OU is ranked 37th in rushing defense (respectable), while ranked 82nd in pass defense (poor).

But why is that?

The best rushing team they played was Ohio State (249.4). They did a great job, too, holding the Buckeyes to 167 yards rushing.

but after that..

K-State gets 198 yards per game and got 268
OK State gets 183 and got 213
TCU averages 176 and got 155 and then 83 (good performance)
WVA averages 150 and got 251
Texas gets 139 and got 139
Iowa St averages 119 and only got 81.....and still beat OU.....might I remind everyone with a THIRD-STRING QB converted that week from LB
Texas Tech gets 140 and got held to 115

Yeah, their rush D stats look eye-popping but three of their opponents are in the bottom 15 for rushing anyway and another two were in the bottom 30.

Indeed, OU only played two teams that can rush worth a damn all year long. Georgia has a better running game against BETTER run defenses than
any team OU has played all year long.

The KEY to the game will be turnovers. Indeed, the only way I see UGA losing is if they get fumble and pick six happy. If they don't give up free points
or field position and play ball control, I honestly don't think OU can stay on the field with them.

If Georgia had a more balanced attack then I'd say OU would be in a heap of trouble, however it looks like if OU loads the box they have a reasonable chance of slowing the Georgia running game and forcing Fromm to beat them through the air. I'm not sure Fromm would be up to the task in that situation.
But how much of that is UGA blowing teams out early and then just running the ball?

The Dawgs only had two close games all year long plus the loss to Auburn. So how many of those are basically garbage "let's end the game" yardage like we have?

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I said I favored OU in a close game, but will add this caveat. IF UGA can sustain long, time consuming drives and get points, keeping Mayfield on the bench, then they can win. They however cannot win in an offensive shootout. BTW this the same recipe for Alabama beating Clemson.
Beautiful post and absolutely on point!

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Now, Selma, you know better than to go trying to insert factual context into a good, emotional argument!
:biggrin2:

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Have watched a lot of video the last 24 hrs of both Georgia D and the Sooner O. More convinced than ever this could be an OU rout. OU uses a ton of misdirection and so many weapons on O pretty much forces the D to focus on the one that it thinks will hurt them the least. Roquan Smith is very good but he did get beat badly at times and was out of position a lot against Mizzou and Auburn part 1. Interestingly also I thought was that he and Mayfield ( who I assume that RS will be spying) are almost the exact same height and weight.

Both ND and the barn showed that the vaunted dawg run game with Michel/Chubb can be slowed down. OU D is used to playing a lot of snaps and I think will perform better than has been expected by most on here.

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.