Let’s Talk About Georgia/Oklahoma

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
A full month with the Heisman hype, has killed many a good QB in post season bowls. If they totally bank on Mayfield you better know Kirby will key on him. They better be real balanced or SEC caliber D will expose OU and fast. I just do not see OU tearing up UGA D. Kirby has had a month to prepare, and he has been taught by the best on how to do it. I think Mayfield will see the best D he has ever seen. This kid will either win it or lose it on his play. If Kirby holds him in check OU falls hard.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
A full month with the Heisman hype, has killed many a good QB in post season bowls. If they totally bank on Mayfield you better know Kirby will key on him. They better be real balanced or SEC caliber D will expose OU and fast. I just do not see OU tearing up UGA D. Kirby has had a month to prepare, and he has been taught by the best on how to do it. I think Mayfield will see the best D he has ever seen. This kid will either win it or lose it on his play. If Kirby holds him in check OU falls hard.
The thing is, OU has a really balanced offense. In fact, I would argue they look their best when they are running the ball first then passing. OU's offense doesn't just throw Mayfield out their and ask him to beat people they are schemed incredibly well. It's not anywhere near as simple as Mayfield vs Georgia D.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
The two camps are - UGA destroys OU due to SEC D and strong running game while OU has poor rushing D -OR- OU destroys UGA due to high octane offense and OU will key on UGA running game making UGA frosh QB to make plays.

While I can see both sides of the argument all I can ascertain is that IF OU starts out fast then UGA is in trouble. But if UGA can methodically move the chains rushing the ball then it will be a long day for OU. Either way it will be very interesting to see the play unfold in the game and hopefully it will not be a blow out...which it very well could be for either team depending on who comes to play for a title.

TigerTown

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 18, 2017
The two camps are - UGA destroys OU due to SEC D and strong running game while OU has poor rushing D -OR- OU destroys UGA due to high octane offense and OU will key on UGA running game making UGA frosh QB to make plays.

While I can see both sides of the argument all I can ascertain is that IF OU starts out fast then UGA is in trouble. But if UGA can methodically move the chains rushing the ball then it will be a long day for OU. Either way it will be very interesting to see the play unfold in the game and hopefully it will not be a blow out...which it very well could be for either team depending on who comes to play for a title.
This is why I think we'll know by end of first quarter which way this game will go.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Agreed.

My heart still tells me that OU runs away with this one - if the dam is allowed to crack at all, they can blow the game wide open.

My mind tells me the balanced team with a strong defense always shuts these high-octane offenses down, and that OU will end up looking fro less impressive against a very talented UGA D.

Really tough one to call.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
I suppose the "UGA destroys OU" camp already has a test case to back up their claim. The 2015 NC game between Ohio State and Oregon seems to be a perfect example of this where OSU had the strong running game and good defense, won the TOP and held Marcus Mariota and the Ducks to 20 points. I'll stay in the other camp however even though I don't have an example game to give.

Last edited:

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
So, I'm watching the Okie State vs Va Tech game and I'm trying to figure out how in the world this offense put up half a hundred on the vaunted Oklahoma defense...

#notImpressed

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
So, I'm watching the Okie State vs Va Tech game and I'm trying to figure out how in the world this offense put up half a hundred on the vaunted Oklahoma defense...

#notImpressed

This game is a good test to see what happens when offense meets defense. Okie State has the #2 offense vs. Va. Tech #10 defense. The offense is winning so far.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
This game is a good test to see what happens when offense meets defense. Okie State has the #2 offense vs. Va. Tech #10 defense. The offense is winning so far.
Except Va Tech isn't at 100% and gave away potentially a lot of momentum early in the first half by fumbling the ball away on first and goal.

Against this defense, the Pokes have basically been big play - usually on a busted coverage - or nothing.

Tech has been largely beating them on both lines of scrimmage.

And, just for full disclosure, I have the Pokes in my pick-em for this game.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
I just love reading these posts, goes to show you it takes all kinds to make the CFP go round.
I'm not sure what point you think you're making here, however...

This is the number three team in the Big 12 with supposedly one of the best offenses in the country versus the number four team in the ACC that's missing its leading rusher, leading receiver, starting left tackle, and a couple of defensive starters lost for the year earlier in the season.

The Pokes should be blowing the Hokies off of the field, not struggling to put the game away.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
I'm not sure what point you think you're making here, however...

This is the number three team in the Big 12 with supposedly one of the best offenses in the country versus the number four team in the ACC that's missing its leading rusher, leading receiver, starting left tackle, and a couple of defensive starters lost for the year earlier in the season.

The Pokes should be blowing the Hokies off of the field, not struggling to put the game away.
These analyst talking on the game are awful.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Oh boy have I been waiting to join in on this thread!

Georgia is the largest state east of the Mississippi River.
Georgia has 159 counties, more than any other state east of the Mississippi.
Two Georgia counties have two names, Ben Hill county and Jeff Davis county.
The only county in Georgia named after a woman is Hart county, named for Nancy Hart, a patriot and warrior in the fight against the British during the Revolutionary War.
There are 350 species of birds in Georgia.
Georgia is home to the oldest state park in the nation.
Georgia is home to 65 threatened and endangered plant and animal species.
Georgia became the first state to charter a state-supported university on January 27, 1785 when the University of Georgia was incorporated by an act of the General Assembly.
Wesleyan College in Macon was the first college in the world chartered to grant degrees to women.
Georgia was the 4th state to join the Union in 1776 and the 5th to join the Confederacy in 1861.
Georgia is home to the invention of the Cherokee written alphabet.
Amicalola Falls in Dawsonville is the tallest cascading waterfall east of the Mississippi River.
The Okefenokee in south Georgia is the largest swamp in North America.
Elberton, Georgia is the Granite Capital of the World
Georgia has actually had three governors - simultaneously - twice!!
The Geographic Center of Georgia is in Twiggs County, 18 miles southeast of Macon.
Stone Mountain, near Atlanta, is one of the largest single masses of exposed granite in the world.
The world's largest sculpture is located on the face of Stone Mountain. The figures of Confederate President Jefferson Davis and Generals Stonewall Jackson and Robert E. Lee are depicted as well as Lee's horse, Traveler.
The largest wild hog found ever discovered was found and killed in Alapaha, Georgia. Weighing in at 1,000 pounds and measuring 12 feet in length, the creature was nicknamed "Hogzilla".
Hernando de Soto was the first European to explore Georgia in 1540.
In 1945, Georgia became the first state to lower the legal voting age from 21 to 18.
The first protestant Sunday school in America was started in Savannah by John Wesley in 1736.
----

Believe it or not, Oklahoma has about 55,646 miles of shoreline, which is pretty impressive considering it's smack dab in the middle of the contiguous U.S.

Oklahoma was once found near the equator, and was a hot and dry place — during the Triassic Period (206 to 248 million years ago).

You have an Oklahoman to thank for voice mail (you know, that thing your mom keeps leaving messages on but you never check?). Tulsa native Gordon Matthews invented an electronic message system that stored audio messages, which was patented in 1982.

Oklahoma City is one of only two capital cities to include the state’s name. The other capital? Indianapolis, Ind.

The Saurophaganax maximus is Oklahoma’s official state fossil. A fossil of one was first found in the early 1930s in Cimarron County, and a reconstructed skeleton can be seen at the Sam Noble Oklahoma Museum of Natural History

Guthrie was once home to the National Lighter Museum, which had 30,000 pieces on display. The museum closed in 2003 after a zoning dispute.

The first yield sign was invented by Clinton Riggs and Paul Rice. Riggs was a Tulsa police officer.

The first tornado warning and the first official tornado forecast in the United States happened in 1948 at Tinker Air Force Base. The base was struck by two powerful twisters within a span of five days, March 20-25.

It’s true: Oklahoma has an official state meal. The year was 1988 and, apparently, everyone was hungry, because the state meal consists of: fried okra, squash, cornbread, barbecue pork, biscuits, sausage and gravy, grits, corn, strawberries, chicken fried steak, pecan pie, and black-eyed peas. Just how many calories is that? If you ate the average serving size of each item listed, you'd consume about 2,200 calories. And about 260 grams of carbohydrates, 90 grams of fat, 70 grams of protein and 3,700 milligrams of sodium.
----

Based just on this since there is literally no other reason to discuss these two states right now, I'm going with Georgia. Oklahoma's bringing some pretty weak offense in this one, even though they did throw in a couple of trick facts.

TUSCALOOSAHONOR

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2014
Slocomb, Al
www.facebook.com
One of the guys on sec network stated that OK's defensive line is small and that GA's running backs are the same size as OK's linebackers. If that's true it could be a long day for OK.
Btw has our resident OK fan been seen? Wanted to get his take on things.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Have watched a lot of video the last 24 hrs of both Georgia D and the Sooner O. More convinced than ever this could be an OU rout. OU uses a ton of misdirection and so many weapons on O pretty much forces the D to focus on the one that it thinks will hurt them the least. Roquan Smith is very good but he did get beat badly at times and was out of position a lot against Mizzou and Auburn part 1. Interestingly also I thought was that he and Mayfield ( who I assume that RS will be spying) are almost the exact same height and weight.

Both ND and the barn showed that the vaunted dawg run game with Michel/Chubb can be slowed down.
OU D is used to playing a lot of snaps and I think will perform better than has been expected by most on here.
Georgia rushed for 185 yards against Notre Dame.......the only reason that game was close is because UGA turned the ball over twice and got flagged for 12 penalties.

And as far as Auburn, well....they didn't 'really' stop the UGA running game at all. Fromm got sacked four times for 33 yards lost.

Subtract UGA's unexplained penchant for throwing on third down after getting 7-8 yards on first and second down and they averaged 3.0 yards per carry. While that ain't phenomenal, averaging that every single play will take you right down the field.

And Auburn's RUSHING defense is statistically better than Oklahoma's despite the fact that Auburn plays in a conference where teams run the ball much more.

The reason OU fans are popping off at the mouth about the SEC is because they beat Tennessee twice (who the hell cares? everybody beats Tennessee), rolled a four-loss Auburn in the Sugar Bowl, and beat us when we were hot stuff years ago. Their delusional fan base really believes
that they can just show up and the SEC is overrated.(Their good fans like wishbone sooner know better).

They fear Clemson because the Tigers rolled them two years ago.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.