Let’s Talk About Georgia/Oklahoma

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I still see the Sooners winning this one big and ultimately winning the NC as I have predicted since last summer. I’d be interested in everyone else’s thoughts on the rose bowl.

JQBama42

Scout Team
Sep 24, 2014
Enid, OK
I still see the Sooners winning this one big and ultimately winning the NC as I have predicted since last summer. I’d be interested in everyone else’s thoughts on the rose bowl.
Well, that pretty much sums up how every Sooner fan and sports radio jock in Oklahoma sees it. They all pretty much feel like the championship is a done deal, after they blow the doors off of Georgia and beat Clemson by a couple of touchdowns in a shootout. Sports radio in Oklahoma goes like this: “The SEC is garbage. They don’t play offense in the SEC. Quarterbacks in the SEC can’t throw past 10 yards. They play garbage teams. ESPN bias is the only reason Bama and Georgia are ranked so high. Alabama is afraid to play on the road out of conference. Baker Mayfield is the greatest player in college football history. You don’t need a good defense if your offense can score a hundred on everyone they play.” If you ever wanted to re-live the 2014 Sugar Bowl every day of the rest of your life, move to Oklahoma. Where every male child born in the next year will be named Baker or Lincoln.

Anyway, they tell me every day that they have already won the dang thing and I just smile and give them a Roll Tide. :cool2:

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
What you don't think Bama will beat Clemson? You don't know how good your offense is until you play a good defense. Last time I looked OU got beat by someone that had a decent defense. RTR
I actually agree that I think they will beat the dawgs pretty badly. Clemson could be another mattter though imo.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think that the championship will be an all SEC affair - GA vs Alabama for all the marbles, with Alabama taking home #17.

Merry Christmas TideFans!

:pDTC_032:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
The old adage of, Defense wins championships may be another phrase that no longer holds true. In the new era of college football it is going to take 30+ points to win consistently. There is so much talent nationwide that has grown up playing wide open offense that, IMO defenses can no longer keep up with it. I too think OU sends the dawgs packing, but not in a blowout.

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
The old adage of, Defense wins championships may be another phrase that no longer holds true. In the new era of college football it is going to take 30+ points to win consistently. There is so much talent nationwide that has grown up playing wide open offense that, IMO defenses can no longer keep up with it. I too think OU sends the dawgs packing, but not in a blowout.
Yes, I agree. The "defense wins championships" mantra needs to be amended to "defense and a good quarterback wins championships". That's why I give Georgia the edge in this one.

Last edited:

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Computers are split with 1-3 point margin. Scoring margins favors Georgia slightly. We have a close game between awesome passer and a balanced team. Who wins? I don't have a clue but I will go with D and SEC. Go Smart Dogs.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I’ve seen this movie before and until a different ending happens I’ll go with the previous one.

In 2003, the Sooners were being called the greatest team of all-time in early November. Nobody noticed they needed a fake punt to beat 4-9 Alabama. K State blew them to shreds, they got an undeserved title shot and Saban beat them in a game that wasn’t as close as the score except for a few minutes late.

In 2008, they topped 60 points five games in a row and were unstoppable. Florida held them to 14 points.

To be fair, I know some great OU fans but the post above is an accurate summary. Baker Mayfield made the earth in six days and ran from the cops on the seventh. They have the same cherry picking memory you see from many Auburn fans (“more unbeaten seasons than Alabama since 1993”). OU beat Alabama, Tennessee, and Auburn and the SEC blows (of course I then point out we had the same motivation as they did with Boise St).

If Texas had an offense this year, OU would have lost that game. They lost to Iowa St, with a decent D.

OU has the worst defense in the playoff - by far - and the other offenses can match them punch for punch.

Oregon’s high powered 50 ppg got 19 against Auburn’s “maybe the worst defense to ever win it all.”

When push comes to shove defense is still king.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I’ve seen this movie before and until a different ending happens I’ll go with the previous one.

In 2003, the Sooners were being called the greatest team of all-time in early November. Nobody noticed they needed a fake punt to beat 4-9 Alabama. K State blew them to shreds, they got an undeserved title shot and Saban beat them in a game that wasn’t as close as the score except for a few minutes late.

In 2008, they topped 60 points five games in a row and were unstoppable. Florida held them to 14 points.

To be fair, I know some great OU fans but the post above is an accurate summary. Baker Mayfield made the earth in six days and ran from the cops on the seventh. They have the same cherry picking memory you see from many Auburn fans (“more unbeaten seasons than Alabama since 1993”). OU beat Alabama, Tennessee, and Auburn and the SEC blows (of course I then point out we had the same motivation as they did with Boise St).

If Texas had an offense this year, OU would have lost that game. They lost to Iowa St, with a decent D.

OU has the worst defense in the playoff - by far - and the other offenses can match them punch for punch.

Oregon’s high powered 50 ppg got 19 against Auburn’s “maybe the worst defense to ever win it all.”

When push comes to shove defense is still king.
All good points. I also believe they can't beat UGA. I believe it's another OU paper tiger. We'll see...

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
All good points. I also believe they can't beat UGA. I believe it's another OU paper tiger. We'll see...
Should be an interesting game. If Clemson beats us, I will be pulling for UGA to win it all. I do not want Clemson to win it 2 years in a row and don't really like Oklahoma.

Hopefully, Bama will get #17 though! RTR!

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
Should be an interesting game. If Clemson beats us, I will be pulling for UGA to win it all. I do not want Clemson to win it 2 years in a row and don't really like Oklahoma.

Hopefully, Bama will get #17 though! RTR!
But then you will hear all year how Bama is not even the best team in the conference let alone the nation. UGA is the best will be the narrative.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
You do know Richt is not the coach of UGA anymore? Smart is not Richt, so he will not get blown out. Delivery man, I am starting to think you really are an Oklahoma fan, you praise them on several occasions.

The Ols

Hall of Fame
Jul 8, 2012
Cumming,Ga.
I don't know...I think he's given everyone a shot....except Bama!?!?!? Roll Tide #17!!!
You do know Richt is not the coach of UGA anymore? Smart is not Richt, so he will not get blown out. Delivery man, I am starting to think you really are an Oklahoma fan, you praise them on several occasions.

TigerTown

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 18, 2017
As opposed to the Clem v Bama game, it will be apparent by end of the first quarter who will win the Rose.

RammerJammer15

All-American
Sep 9, 2012
UGA wins 34-24. This is assuming that the UGA squad of most the year shows up and not the one at Jordan Hare.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.