A WW2 Christmas Gift

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Thanks, Brett those stories never get old. My wife's father, who I never met, was with the 101st Airborne in Bastogne. He was awarded a Purple Heart and a Bronze Star. I am sure that was a scary Christmas for our troops.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
My high school history teacher, Frank J. Stone, has been a member of the 101st (C/1-506 PIR, I bleieve), but he was not at Bastogne. He was laid up in a hospital in England, having been clobbered by a German tank in Holland in September 1944 (he would remain hospitalized until August 1945). He did say that only 1/3 of his platoon survived Bastogne unscathed. A number were killed, and a bunch were wounded.
The 101st was awarded a Presidential Unit Citation for the defense of Bastogne.

Valley View

3rd Team
Nov 7, 2016
Williamson County, TN
I often marvel at those men who fought in that war. Bravely volunteering, sometimes before actually turning 18 to fight for our country. What would happen today if that call was needed again? I hope our young men would respond. Would we complain and moan about rationing and all the inconveniences we were suffering, or would we gladly do without so our servicemen could have more? I hope we would do the right thing, but I am afraid the petty political differences that have us divided today would just intensify during a war of this magnitude.

We owe all our veterans a huge thank you for the freedoms we have today!

Last edited:

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
Enjoyed that. Thanks. I always try to chat w/WWII vets. You never know when your last chance will be.
This is so true. I was at a Veterans Day celebration at my church and they went war by war and had veterans stand up. From Afghanistan and Iraq to WW1 we stood up. There was quite a few of us from Vietnam and less for Korea. Then the WW2 guys came around and there was one. These Vets are almost gone. If you have the opportunity visit one these vets before there gone.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I often marvel at those men who fought in that war. Bravely volunteering, sometimes before actually turning 18 to fight for our country. What would happen today if that call was needed again? I hope our young men would respond. Would we complain and moan about rationing and all the inconveniences we were suffering, or would we gladly do without so our servicemen could have more? I hope we would do the right thing, but I am afraid the petty political differences that have us divided today would just intensify during a war of this magnitude.

A large part of our present fiscal difficulties stem from fighting wars on the credit card without making the necessary sacrifices...

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
This is so true. I was at a Veterans Day celebration at my church and they went war by war and had veterans stand up. From Afghanistan and Iraq to WW1 we stood up. There was quite a few of us from Vietnam and less for Korea. Then the WW2 guys came around and there was one. These Vets are almost gone. If you have the opportunity visit one these vets before there gone.
Every year on a Sunday on or near Veterans Day our church recognizes its veterans by asking them to stand as their armed forces' branch song is played. Each year the number standing grows smaller.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL

Or, purchase war bonds to support the effort. I’m watching Ken Burns’ “The War” right now. Of all the WW2 documentaries I’ve watched this one spent the most time discussing this. $186 billion sold in war bonds. Can you imagine of this were tried today? There would be no support. Fun fact a $1 war bond is worth $11 today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.