JessN: Clemson preview: On paper, this should be a defensive showcase

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
Well the espn experts on site at sugar bowl sure do expect y'all to have an easy time! The underdog... yet again....
I think both teams are playing the underdog role. While there are betting odds on Bama winning right now, Bama comes in at number four and with a lot of ESPN and media personnel feeling they should not be in over OSU. Clemson comes in as the defending champion yet behind in betting odds on some sites but they are not number one because of lack of respect....they are 1 for a reason. It depends on which way you look at it but I wouldn't let a few talking heads dictate whether a team is an underdog or not. It's a mental aspect that's played by the coaches and players more than anything

TigerTown

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 18, 2017
I think both teams are playing the underdog role. While there are betting odds on Bama winning right now, Bama comes in at number four and with a lot of ESPN and media personnel feeling they should not be in over OSU. Clemson comes in as the defending champion yet behind in betting odds on some sites but they are not number one because of lack of respect....they are 1 for a reason. It depends on which way you look at it but I wouldn't let a few talking heads dictate whether a team is an underdog or not. It's a mental aspect that's played by the coaches and players more than anything
Most espn guys are picking you all that I have seen. Some, like the 2 today, say it won't be close. The outside money in vegas is all bama.

Bama was chosen by the committee... the fact they qre in at all shows the respect folks have. No way that is any kind of disrespect.

Clemson being the 1 seed, but most seeing us as the underdog is disrespect. In the end though, doesn't matter. Game is on the field.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Most espn guys are picking you all that I have seen. Some, like the 2 today, say it won't be close. The outside money in vegas is all bama.

Bama was chosen by the committee... the fact they qre in at all shows the respect folks have. No way that is any kind of disrespect.

Clemson being the 1 seed, but most seeing us as the underdog is disrespect. In the end though, doesn't matter. Game is on the field.
Maybe you just started watching the lead-ins for this game. The vast majority of analysts have picked Clemson in this game, and the vast majority of bets placed in Vegas are placed on Clemson (though more actual money has been bet on Alabama since the high rollers are betting Alabama).

Today had a few guys pick Alabama, but it doesn't get it close to even.

I agree that both teams have reason to feel disrespected. But can you imagine what it has been like in Alabama for a team that just lost to its in state rival? Major chip on their shoulder.

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there

Wow, the vast majority of ESPN, nbc and abc are all picking Clemson . Yes there maybe a few picking Bama but I'm not seeing any disrespect at all toward Clemson. Picking someone to win isn't a sign of disrespect anyway.
My previous point about Bama being selected to play was that it was disrespected by the media . The media and the committee are two different entities. The committee did their job, that doesn't mean the media and analysts approve. Two totally different concepts , when you're told you don't belong, yes....that's a sign of disrespect.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
Maybe you just started watching the lead-ins for this game. The vast majority of analysts have picked Clemson in this game, and the vast majority of bets placed in Vegas are placed on Clemson (though more actual money has been bet on Alabama since the high rollers are betting Alabama).

Today had a few guys pick Alabama, but it doesn't get it close to even.

I agree that both teams have reason to feel disrespected. But can you imagine what it has been like in Alabama for a team that just lost to its in state rival? Major chip on their shoulder.
Shhh....Let him enjoy his faux outrage.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Yeah I knew the tOSU was the best team left out narrative would explode when they beat USC. I want Bama to win just so we don’t have to hear that tripe for the entire year. BTW Clemson would annihilate the Buckeyes again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Yeah I knew the tOSU was the best team left out narrative would explode when they beat USC. I want Bama to win just so we don’t have to hear that tripe for the entire year. BTW Clemson would annihilate the Buckeyes again!

I think that we would lose to every team in the CFP except the Sooners. The revenge factor would carry us past them.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I think that we would lose to every team in the CFP except the Sooners. The revenge factor would carry us past them.
I don't know B1G. You guys are loaded with talent and Urban is an excellent coach with a superb staff. On any given Saturday you guys could win against just about anyone. Given the time to prepare for the playoffs I think the Bucks could not only with two games but might even be favored in the second one.

TomFromBama

Suspended
May 14, 2003
Lower Alabama
Great write up (as usual) by Jess. & Not that my opinion matters, but I mostly agree - even though I disagree with the premise.

For example, It doesn’t matter if we have a “better” secondary than Clem- our secondary will never be on the field with their secondary; what matters is whether we can cover their receivers and whether our receivers can get open against their defense.

But I digress.

I’m a grad and a fan. I hope we win. I think we can win. And I think we Should win.

But in three years I’ve had successively less confidence in our chances in each of the three meetings, this one being the worst.

I was pretty confident in the 2015 team. I felt like we had a good shot in 2016 until Kiffin flamed out, then I thought it was a 51-49 proposition that we could pull it out - and we nearly did.

This year... well, I’m still a fan and still hope for the best. But ....

I don’t think Clem is as good a team now as they were a year ago. But with all the injuries I’m not sure we are as good a team right now as we were a year ago.
And I realize I could be dead wrong.

I feel like we could win big (like 40-20 big) IF every guy on the team plays at 101% for all 60 minutes and our coaches have a great game plan in all three phases of the game.

It could happen!
I’m Really hoping it happens!!

But let’s be honest - this team, just like 2016, has faded down the stretch.

Regardless, I’m pulling for this team to break the two year trend and actually play “Alabama Football” two more times.

If that happens, we win out.

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
Great write up (as usual) by Jess. & Not that my opinion matters, but I mostly agree - even though I disagree with the premise.

For example, It doesn’t matter if we have a “better” secondary than Clem- our secondary will never be on the field with their secondary; what matters is whether we can cover their receivers and whether our receivers can get open against their defense.

But I digress.

I’m a grad and a fan. I hope we win. I think we can win. And I think we Should win.

But in three years I’ve had successively less confidence in our chances in each of the three meetings, this one being the worst.

I was pretty confident in the 2015 team. I felt like we had a good shot in 2016 until Kiffin flamed out, then I thought it was a 51-49 proposition that we could pull it out - and we nearly did.

This year... well, I’m still a fan and still hope for the best. But ....

I don’t think Clem is as good a team now as they were a year ago. But with all the injuries I’m not sure we are as good a team right now as we were a year ago.
And I realize I could be dead wrong.

I feel like we could win big (like 40-20 big) IF every guy on the team plays at 101% for all 60 minutes and our coaches have a great game plan in all three phases of the game.

It could happen!
I’m Really hoping it happens!!

But let’s be honest - this team, just like 2016, has faded down the stretch.

Regardless, I’m pulling for this team to break the two year trend and actually play “Alabama Football” two more times.

If that happens, we win out.

:::::::::::::eek:
I keep hearing of media folks who have been around the team the last couple of weeks who are noticing the 'all in' mood of this Bama group. I like it. Lots of good reasons we all have been a little down. Losing to Awbun does that to me too, but champions rise above adversity. Always have. Always will. I like to think we Bama fans are champions too. Hard as it is to be up after Awbun...It is time to play. You feel it. I feel it. Here is to believing Bama football comes out to play tonight. Wish I could be in N.O. to scream for the Tide for 60 minutes. No fading tonight boys!!! Roll Tide Roll!!!!!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.