Bruce Feldman Tweets About a Strange Result from Early Signing Day

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
Wow, that could cause some problems. Even if it happens, I don’t think the NCAA will do anything about it.....unless it’s an SEC school.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Wow, that could cause some problems. Even if it happens, I don’t think the NCAA will do anything about it.....unless it’s an SEC school.
I agree - not sure that this is enforceable if the school had no way to know that a kid has signed.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I agree - not sure that this is enforceable if the school had no way to know that a kid has signed.
I would think penalties would be involved for the school that didn't report his signing. The kids would get free visits, in theory, and his school of choice would have their competition wasting resources on an ineligible player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamamick

All-American
Feb 22, 2005
Well, surely no kid would be allowed to visit another school after they had already signed, so where is the benefit for the kid? I can see a benefit to the school if you were recruiting other players at the same position, but the only thing I can see for the kid is the big deal everyone has made of NSD that didn't really feel the same in December? Or maybe a kid feels pressured by his coach or someone else to sign at a certain school but didn't and signed elsewhere? I mean, how public does this have to be? 247 listed every single kid that signed, not just committed. How did they get that information?

I can see this early signing period being a big downer for some kids who are being recruited by a UAB or South Alabama being told to hold off on signing early by a Mississippi State or Arkansas and then having to take a grayshirt somewhere or go to JUCO because their slot was taken. For every guy who is a late bloomer who gets a better offer I would imagine there will be ten of these that lose their place.

Who thought this was a good idea?

rtr

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Well, surely no kid would be allowed to visit another school after they had already signed, so where is the benefit for the kid? I can see a benefit to the school if you were recruiting other players at the same position, but the only thing I can see for the kid is the big deal everyone has made of NSD that didn't really feel the same in December? Or maybe a kid feels pressured by his coach or someone else to sign at a certain school but didn't and signed elsewhere? I mean, how public does this have to be? 247 listed every single kid that signed, not just committed. How did they get that information?
Recruiting services got the information from the school announcing the signed LOIs.

The problem that Feldman was told is a guy might send his signed LOI to the school but say "hey, don't announce I've signed until February please." So a kid would still be able to take an OV somewhere because other schools wouldn't know the prospect is already signed to a school.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Recruiting services got the information from the school announcing the signed LOIs.

The problem that Feldman was told is a guy might send his signed LOI to the school but say "hey, don't announce I've signed until February please." So a kid would still be able to take an OV somewhere because other schools wouldn't know the prospect is already signed to a school.
This is somewhat similar and a level above a silent commit. Not a big fan since there is no way to backtrack on it.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
This is somewhat similar and a level above a silent commit. Not a big fan since there is no way to backtrack on it.
The big difference here is a player with a signed LOI is off limits. Remember, LSU got in trouble for contacting Matt Womack during the dead period even though he signed the financial aid agreement with them but ended up signing a LOI with us in 2015.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
The big difference here is a player with a signed LOI is off limits. Remember, LSU got in trouble for contacting Matt Womack during the dead period even though he signed the financial aid agreement with them but ended up signing a LOI with us in 2015.
I'm little surprised that the NCAA doesn't have some rule regarding "silent LOIs". It would seem to be flush with possible abuse scenarios.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
There will be hiccups in this early signing scenario like this one that will be fixed over the course of the next couple of cycles for sure. There will also be some opportunities to exploit legally that I am 100% sure that Coach is working on with his staff already.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Not sure what those are. This seems to slant highly toward advantage the player and small schools. Kid can reserve a seat on a bus but choose to upgrade to better ride if one comes along.

In theory this sounds like a good idea because it pro player but it is highly inefficient for the schools.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
First, I'm not surprised this happened, and I even asked about it more than two weeks ago in another thread.

With that said, this should not be a big problem.

The school should have to submit the LOIs to the NCAA, who can reasonably let the other schools know behind the scenes. That (sort of) protects the players' privacy while also informing the coaches who is off limits. Of course the info is more likely to leak, but that's life...

I do wonder if a LOI is a public document at a public school?

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
First, I'm not surprised this happened, and I even asked about it more than two weeks ago in another thread.

With that said, this should not be a big problem.

The school should have to submit the LOIs to the NCAA, who can reasonably let the other schools know behind the scenes. That (sort of) protects the players' privacy while also informing the coaches who is off limits. Of course the info is more likely to leak, but that's life...

I do wonder if a LOI is a public document at a public school?
I would say YES. BTW, the only reason a kid wants to be hush hush about it is to have the "look at me" moment at his press conference on national signing day. The net effect of this will be that kids who care about that sort of thing will simply wait until February to sign hoping the school that want to commit to holds their spot that long.

TheTideRolls

BamaNation Citizen
Mar 31, 2015
I would say YES. BTW, the only reason a kid wants to be hush hush about it is to have the "look at me" moment at his press conference on national signing day. The net effect of this will be that kids who care about that sort of thing will simply wait until February to sign hoping the school that want to commit to holds their spot that long.
A lot of them get pressure from fans of local colleges. Some of them get threats. It makes it easier on some if they can keep it quiet until they are ready to get out of town. Some do want the attention.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
If a kid signs the ES papers, he needs to quit playing the other schools...PERIOD!!!

JMO

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I say as soon as a kid signs, it should become public knowledge.

You don't want anyone to know until February? Don't commit until February.

This sort of hand-holding is ridiculous.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
A lot of them get pressure from fans of local colleges. Some of them get threats. It makes it easier on some if they can keep it quiet until they are ready to get out of town. Some do want the attention.
So what, this changes nothing if no one knows they signed?

Suck it up, buttercup.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I say as soon as a kid signs, it should become public knowledge.

You don't want anyone to know until February? Don't commit until February.

This sort of hand-holding is ridiculous.
I agree, I realize some kids get grief for signing out of state but it's gonna come sometimes so just endure it and move on. Life is full of times like that. No one should run their life via popular vote. Fans don't bear the cost of making a wrong decision.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.