Sources: 7SU, Matt Canada expected to split after Citrus Bowl

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
It is a fair point to note that Canada has been a short-timer at all his stops. He may be part of the problem but I think O needs stability at that level because I don't think he's enough of a technician-type HC to withstand a lot of staff turnover.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
They all loved it when Canada bragged that he was 'undefeated against Bama' at his introduction at LSU.

I guess he can brag that he's .500 against Bama at his next stop.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
And yet:

"Through the first nine games of the season, LSU averaged more than 7 yards per carry on jet sweeps in conference games. They were critical in wins over Florida (10 for 89 yards) and Auburn (5-93) and commendable in games against BYU (10-53) and Ole Miss (7-42). They also helped the Tigers hog the ball (34 minutes) at Alabama, running 10 sweeps for 35 yards."
But, what would they have done running downhill?

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
But, what would they have done running downhill?
They tried 3-yards-and-a-pile-of-dust for the previous decade under Miles - if you think they can go back to the old-school power offense everyone has moved on from and be successful, then so be it - but they changed for a reason.

Had Canada inherited even a mediocre QB that offense would have been dynamic.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
They tried 3-yards-and-a-pile-of-dust for the previous decade under Miles - if you think they can go back to the old-school power offense everyone has moved on from and be successful, then so be it - but they changed for a reason.

Had Canada inherited even a mediocre QB that offense would have been dynamic.
Its amazing what you can do w/a power offense w/a QB that can throw the ball. See Bama 2009, 2012, 2015, and 2017. Updated based on second half of the Championship game. :)

Last edited:

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I have to wonder if Aranda wants out too. He is another top shelf coordinator and I could see him tiring very quickly of Coach Yaw Yaw.

Last edited:

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
FWIW, this is TJ LSUdad’s opinion of Matt Canada.

ETA: TJ was very butt hurt after the Bama game. He wants to fire Matt Canada and hire Hugh Freeze as OC. It struck me as funny.

Last edited:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
He's a really good OC but Etling is an awful quarterback and they had no other options. We would've lost to LSU in our place if Etling was just a mediocre quarterback instead of an awful one.
The amazing thing is Etling actually won the starting job. Just how terrible are the other guys that he actually won the starting job?

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I have to wonder if Aranda wants out too. He is another top shelf coordinator and I could see him tiring very quickly of Coach Yaw Yaw.
I would think any top notch coordinator with intelligence would constantly be asking himself, "How in the world did this yaw yawing bozo get a head gig with top notch pay?"

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA
I would think any top notch coordinator with intelligence would constantly be asking himself, "How in the world did this yaw yawing bozo get a head gig with top notch pay?"
Aranda is making 1.9 million and is the top paid assistant in CFB. He makes more than most NFL DCs. As for O getting “top notch pay”, he’s not in the top 25 of head coaches, but give me 2 years of his salary and I’ll be on vacation forever!

If O screws up the OC hire and we plummet, Aranda might be in line for the head job. I just don’t see that happening though. I think we might be stuck in a cycle with top 10 being a ceiling and playoffs being a long shot at best. We have a solid recruiting class again and will likely finish around 10 in the recruiting rankings. That’s slightly lower than usual, but it’s because the state’s talent is in a down year.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
When we ended up having an OC vacancy last year, Canada was one of the guys I had hoped we could get, though IIRC we were late to the party for him anyway. I wasn't aware of his "does not play well with others" issue though. I just liked what he had achieved with Pitt.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
When we ended up having an OC vacancy last year, Canada was one of the guys I had hoped we could get, though IIRC we were late to the party for him anyway. I wasn't aware of his "does not play well with others" issue though. I just liked what he had achieved with Pitt.
Well, that's what we're hearing from 7SU now, but I don't ever recall hearing that before they hired him, so TIFWIW...

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA
Well, that's what we're hearing from 7SU now, but I don't ever recall hearing that before they hired him, so TIFWIW...
the speculation is that once we lost to MSU, Canada wanted to play Brennan to build for the future. O felt that would cost us a game or two or three. O forced Canada to run certain plays in the first half of the Troy game. It’s been oil and water since.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.