Sources: 7SU, Matt Canada expected to split after Citrus Bowl

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
They tried 3-yards-and-a-pile-of-dust for the previous decade under Miles - if you think they can go back to the old-school power offense everyone has moved on from and be successful, then so be it - but they changed for a reason.

Had Canada inherited even a mediocre QB that offense would have been dynamic.
UGA is playing power football with an effective passing game and look how that's doing. LSU, and yes Bama, have made a living doing that for years. IMO football hasn't really changed that much at all especially at the highest level. Not arguing, just my opinion.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
UGA is playing power football with an effective passing game and look how that's doing. LSU, and yes Bama, have made a living doing that for years. IMO football hasn't really changed that much at all especially at the highest level. Not arguing, just my opinion.
you know Bama used RPO with Blake Sims... and Jalen Hurts?

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
FWIW from CBS -"Still, that's where the rift between Orgeron and Canada began, and it hasn't been mended since. While philosophical differences are playing a key role, there's also the fact that LSU's offense didn't improve much -- if at all -- under Canada in 2017. After scoring 28.3 points per game in 2016, LSU scored 28.1 points per game in 2017. After the Tigers averaged 423.1 yards per game and 6.71 yards per play in 2016, they averaged 412.1 and 6.28, respectively, in 2017.

Had there been marked improvements in the team's offensive performance, odds are Orgeron learns to live with pre-snap motion, but there wasn't, and now it looks as though Canada is about to be back on the open market."
FULL STORY

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I love Power Football. They can know what you are going to run, and you still run over them. :)

Pilot172000

1st Team
Sep 25, 2017
Winnsboro, LA
I watched a good bit of Canada’s offense this season and it ain’t easy to learn. The pre-snap movement will cause penalties early on in the process. That being said year two of this offense is always light years ahead of year one and LSU was picking it up fast. Add Brennan who is a quality QB to the mix and they would have been down right dangerous for the next couple of years. Thank Goodness LSU is run by a bunch of imbeciles or we would have had our hands full.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
After halftime of the AU game LSU looked good (outside of Bama).

40 against Ole Miss, 33 against Arky, 30 against UT and 45 against TAMU. Even with the Bama
Game they averaged 31.6 down the stretch and 440 yards of offense.

Take out the Bama game and they averaged 37ppg and 475 yards.

This is a dumb move.

Glad they made it.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
LSU under Orgeron will not be the LSU we have come to know since Saban arrived in Baton Rouge. They will not fall to the level of MSU, OM or Arkansas, but will drop to a perennial 8-4 to 10-2 team. TAMU under Fisher will, in all likelihood, take the place of LSU. After a few seasons like this past one I wonder if the PTB in Tigerland will develop buyer's remorse.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Their recruiting slide started last year, is worse this year, and will fall off a cliff next year if they don't have a really good season. Miles was a recruiting machine.

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005
FWIW from CBS -"Still, that's where the rift between Orgeron and Canada began, and it hasn't been mended since. While philosophical differences are playing a key role, there's also the fact that LSU's offense didn't improve much -- if at all -- under Canada in 2017. After scoring 28.3 points per game in 2016, LSU scored 28.1 points per game in 2017. After the Tigers averaged 423.1 yards per game and 6.71 yards per play in 2016, they averaged 412.1 and 6.28, respectively, in 2017.

Had there been marked improvements in the team's offensive performance, odds are Orgeron learns to live with pre-snap motion, but there wasn't, and now it looks as though Canada is about to be back on the open market."
FULL STORY
Can't believe a less talented offense learning a new, fairly complex scheme didn't suddenly suddenly transition from terrible to Oklahoma!

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
LSU under Orgeron will not be the LSU we have come to know since Saban arrived in Baton Rouge. They will not fall to the level of MSU, OM or Arkansas, but will drop to a perennial 8-4 to 10-2 team. TAMU under Fisher will, in all likelihood, take the place of LSU. After a few seasons like this past one I wonder if the PTB in Tigerland will develop buyer's remorse.
I believe buyer's remorse has already started...

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA
Their recruiting slide started last year, is worse this year, and will fall off a cliff next year if they don't have a really good season. Miles was a recruiting machine.
I’ll disagree with you on this one. Miles did recruit very well, but not always very smart. Because of his recruiting style and roster management failures, we had more kickers on scholarship than linebackers last year. The 2016 roster is 100% Les Miles. He would rather have 15 DBs on scholarship and be thin in the trenches. On the positive side, we claim DBU which resonates with recruits, but they can’t all play either. Guys like Savion Smith couldn’t crack the two deep and transfer out. Those problems aren’t fixed overnight and as a result, we were super thin at both lines. O addressed that in this year’s cycle and only a few of those guys get high ratings. Stars only tell part of the story anyway, half of that is about what camps you attend and how available you are. We added 3 OLs in the 2017 class, a 3, 4 and 5 star. The three star may be the best of all and he and the 4 star are starting. The 5* is hardly seeing the field, and that’s OK since he is a true freshman.

Don’t get me started on Les and QBs. Colossal failure...

Anyway, it’s not recruiting with O that concerns me.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
You know your team better than me, but he had a top 5 recruiting class pretty much every year while at LSU - usually in the top 3. Last year you dropped to 7th with Miles' early influence on so many players. So far this year - 14th. Next year, you could easily drop out of the top 20. That is death for a program that wants to contend for SEC championships.

Miles was a great head coach - among the top 5 in the country. I get why he was fired, but LSU fans have no idea what they let go. If you have a Kirby Smart to fill that void - fine. But I have no pity for a program that fires Miles to hire Orgeron.

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA
You know your team better than me, but he had a top 5 recruiting class pretty much every year while at LSU - usually in the top 3. Last year you dropped to 7th with Miles' early influence on so many players. So far this year - 14th. Next year, you could easily drop out of the top 20. That is death for a program that wants to contend for SEC championships.

Miles was a great head coach - among the top 5 in the country. I get why he was fired, but LSU fans have no idea what they let go. If you have a Kirby Smart to fill that void - fine. But I have no pity for a program that fires Miles to hire Orgeron.
We finished in the top 5 just twice since 2010. You are correct we were 7th last year, which was higher than 4 of Les’ last 7 classes. I suspect when we add our last 4, we will finish in the top 10.

We know what we let go - a coach who was too stubborn to change his ways, one who ran the best player LSU May have ever seen into a wall 19 times in Tuscaloosa, one who lied to the administration about a change in offensive philosophy, and a roster mismanager.

We also know what we do have and that is an incompetent AD. I was not happy with the O hire. Despite that, I would rather see O succeed than fail at this point because change isn’t on the horizon.

BamaFanInTally

All-SEC
Nov 18, 2002
Tallahassee, FL, USA
My take on it is they hired a solid guy to come in and make quick wins and strides with players that didn’t fit his system. If Orgeron is micro-managing, he needs to go back to his talents - coaching the D-line, shady recruiting, and communicating to the locals via corndog speak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.