Like Father, Like Son: For Nick Saban, There's No Greater Compliment

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Click

He found the five garages nearly 45 years ago, tucked behind old houses on a stretch of Miner's Row. Five garages packed floor to ceiling with what appeared to be useless throwaways to just about everyone else but would come to mean everything to the young man who had just driven home to bury his father.

No one knew about the garages and what his father had stored in them, Alabama coach Nick Saban says now. But he was determined to find out.

Times were tough in the early 1970s in those small mining towns up and down State Road 218. There were strikes at the mine, and when you're trying to raise a family and there's no food on the table and nothing makes sense anymore, there was always Nick Saban Sr.'s Gulf service station on the corner of State Road 218 and U.S. 19.

It may as well have been a bank."I walk in those garages, and there's tags on junk everywhere," Saban says.

"An old bald tire had a tag that read, 'Bob Moore, $5.' That thing wasn't worth a nickel. He was taking people's junk and giving them money to survive."

And no one ever knew, Saban is asked. Not even his father’s wife?"

He didn't want any attention," Saban says.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Great article and even greater story. No wonder Coach Saban does so much and cares about his players both on and off the field. Good genes from his Dad.....

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Great article and even greater story. No wonder Coach Saban does so much and cares about his players both on and off the field. Good genes from his Dad.....
I read this earlier and loved the article. I only wish other people outside of Bama fans knew how good of a person Saban really is. Most people who are not Bama fans only know Saban as a coach (and many don't like him ), not as a person.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
I read this earlier and loved the article. I only wish other people outside of Bama fans knew how good of a person Saban really is. Most people who are not Bama fans only know Saban as a coach (and many don't like him ), not as a person.
When I hear people down Nick, say he is mean and no one wants to work for him I just smile. We know, the ones that matter know, that is all that really matters. I will not waste my time trying to sell Nick Saban to folks who do not want to believe in him. Those who matter most to the Sabans know who he is. Now even more of us know more about who he is.Great article and thanks for it. Most very successful people have this side to them that many do not know about. For those of us that do know we just smile and nod at those trying to tear him down.We know, and sometimes that is enough. ROLL TIDE.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Thanks RTR91. A fantastic article about a father and his son's commitment to helping those less fortunate. In today's world this kind of caring and compassion is in short supply.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Apple didn't fall far from the tree... Coach Saban is a philanthropist.
Lots of kids will receive academic scholarships because Coach Saban funded them.
A number of players and coaches have been given a Second Chance to make good by Coach Saban.
Lots of people around Tuscaloosa are living in Homes that Coach Saban funded.
Coach Saban's church has received sizable donations from Coach Saban.

Sounds like Coach Saban is very much like his Father.

bat123

All-American
I must admit there's things I didn't know in that article, I was not surprised in the least. I was raised by a good man myself and after seeing his example it seems absolutely normal to see some one who puts the needs of other in such a high place in their own lives. I am just thankful we have these examples to follow.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
Earle can probably tell more stories about this but I've always heard Coach Bryant did a great many things for people that almost no one knew about. It looks like the Saban family does and has always done as well. Is there any wonder why they are the two greatest coaches college football has ever known?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.