With win Clemson player believes they can change the narrative of college football

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
It is the biggest game of the year, until the following week. And next year, the story will be re-written with new stars and story-lines.

Alabama fans like to believe that the 2011 BCSCG changed college football by forcing the P5 conferences to adopt a playoff. Everyone is narcissistic to a degree. The reality - it really won't matter more or less than any other CFP game played to date.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
Well when they reel off 4 in 8 get back to me. They have done well but they are a ways off from replacing our Dynasty. They have 1 title and one title loss, that is not a dynasty, even if they win another title this year. Good for the kid thinking positive though. Better not count them there chickies before they hatch LOL

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx
I actually do think this game will define who the real top program is in college football, regardless of how that winner does in the real NC game. Given that this game is the 3rd time we have met in consecutive years, splitting the previous two, I don't see how anyone can view it any other way.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
How big is this game from a college football historical perspective?

Replacing the Bama dynasty: With win Clemson player believes they can change the narrative of college football

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/sto...n-sugar-bowl-2018-clemson-underdog/986176001/
if they beat us and then win the NC, they will no doubt be the new Alpha dog in college football.
they'd still have a ways to go to match or exceed what we've done over the last decade, but if they beat us 2/3 times and win back to back NCs...they're the new bully on the block.
i don't see how that's even up for debate.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
if they beat us and then win the NC, they will no doubt be the new Alpha dog in college football.
they'd still have a ways to go to match or exceed what we've done over the last decade, but if they beat us 2/3 times and win back to back NCs...they're the new bully on the block.
i don't see how that's even up for debate.
The debate is around the use of dynasty in 2 ways:

* Would Clemson's win mean that this is a dynasty (answer - no - need another 2-3 years at this level to qualify)
* Would a Clemson win mean that Alabama's dynasty is over (answer - no - making it to the CFP 4 straight years and only 2 years from your last NC).

The only dynasty in college football next year will be Alabama's, no matter what happens in this game.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
The debate is around the use of dynasty in 2 ways:

* Would Clemson's win mean that this is a dynasty (answer - no - need another 2-3 years at this level to qualify)
* Would a Clemson win mean that Alabama's dynasty is over (answer - no - making it to the CFP 4 straight years and only 2 years from your last NC).

The only dynasty in college football next year will be Alabama's, no matter what happens in this game.
i don't care about the "dynasty" nonsense at all...even Saban thinks the dynasty talk is stupid and that you're only as good as what you did yesterday.
if they beat us and win the NC, they're the undisputed Alpha dog until someone knocks them off.
you don't play for the NC three times in a row (2x against arguably the greatest "dynasty" ever...and again in the semifinal and beat them twice) and win back to back titles and not take the mantel as the baddest dude on the block.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
If Alabama losses there will be no shortage of talking heads saying that the Bama dynasty is over and a new one has begun. Just look what was said after we lost to Ole Sis in '15.

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
i don't care about the "dynasty" nonsense at all...even Saban thinks the dynasty talk is stupid and that you're only as good as what you did yesterday.
if they beat us and win the NC, they're the undisputed Alpha dog until someone knocks them off.
you don't play for the NC three times in a row (2x against arguably the greatest "dynasty" ever...and again in the semifinal and beat them twice) and win back to back titles and not take the mantel as the baddest dude on the block.
I actually agree with you on the statement that if Clemson wins back to back championships and playing for it three years straight .....that they deserve the recognition . I think the term "Dynasty" is more important to the media and analysts....maybe even recognition from the fanbases as to what their team has done. I don't think it's as important to the team itself as the concept is of forgetting the past and concentrating on the present.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I actually agree with you on the statement that if Clemson wins back to back championships and playing for it three years straight .....that they deserve the recognition .
Win or lose, they deserve that recognition. No one with a brain is arguing that point. What they have done the last 3 years is very impressive.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
Win or lose, they deserve that recognition. No one with a brain is arguing that point. What they have done the last 3 years is very impressive.
Well I wasn't implying that anyone was arguing that, I was merely referencing the term Dynasty and it's implication or acknowledgement as it pertains to accomplishments.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I actually agree with you on the statement that if Clemson wins back to back championships and playing for it three years straight .....that they deserve the recognition . I think the term "Dynasty" is more important to the media and analysts....maybe even recognition from the fanbases as to what their team has done. I don't think it's as important to the team itself as the concept is of forgetting the past and concentrating on the present.
I agree that the use of the word "dynasty" is only important for the analysts, media and fans. It gives these groups talking points when the team that is deemed a dynasty this year loses next year. I don't know how other HCs feel about the phrase "dynasty" but you can bet CNS doesn't care.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I agree that the use of the word "dynasty" is only important for the analysts, media and fans. It gives these groups talking points when the team that is deemed a dynasty this year loses next year. I don't know how other HCs feel about the phrase "dynasty" but you can bet CNS doesn't care.
He will, when he retires. I know a number of head coaches, active and retired. Once they retire, they defend their teams and programs - and their legacy.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
Clemson is a very very good team, but to toss up the word Dynasty means longevity, they are on track to becoming one, we are one. They may become a dynasty, but they have to destroy this one first, and that has yet to be done. 1-1 in title games head to head and we have 3 more added to that, only team to be in all 4 CFP. Dabo is on a great path to being an elite of the elite, Saban has already arrived there. The next few years could be a real show, Bama making this historical run and maybe having another do so along side of us. Now that is good football to me. 2 teams just making new years plans year after year LOL. I have seen some great runs but never 2 teams at the same time. It just ain't fair to the others LOL

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
Seems like every year I hear that the Alabama Dynasty is over.
Just for the record... It's live and well. It's gonna take more than a couple of wins to declare a new Dynasty... ASK OLE SIS.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.