Was Shaun Alexander the best ever to play for Bama? (Video)

Alanbama27

All-American
Sep 24, 2003
Hoover, Alabama, USA
Sorry, I don't think so. Henry was the best RB to play at Alabama - maybe the best to ever play the position in all of college football. But Shaun was pretty special.
As great as Henry was, he wasn’t in the same league as Bo Jackson and Herschel Walker when discussing “the best ever”. Both of them were as big as he is but much faster. Bo ran a 3.25-40 and Henry is a 4.4 guy. Herschel also was a 4.3 or better guy as both he and Bo were world class track athletes.

As for best Bama back, we’ve had some amazing backs and I would put Henry against any of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
As great as Henry was, he wasn’t in the same league as Bo Jackson and Herschel Walker when discussing “the best ever”. Both of them were as big as he is but much faster. Bo ran a 3.25-40 and Henry is a 4.4 guy. Herschel also was a 4.3 or better guy as both he and Bo were world class track athletes.
Yet Henry broke their single season records. He is right there with those guys - and far ahead of SA.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
The thing about Shaun it seemed he was our only play-maker at the time. Derrick did have Cooper and Drake not to mention the imagination of Kiffen. I can't imagine how many games we would have won with out Shaun when he was at Bama.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

As for best Bama back, we’ve had some amazing backs and I would put Henry against any of them.

3.25 40?

Typo or Superman Worship, not sure which :)

KillVols

1st Team
Oct 23, 2004
All those other guys haven't achieved Shawn Alexanders greatness. There is no comparison IMO. Once Ingram, Henry or Drake win super bowls and become MVP of the NFL then a comparison can be made. Just my opinion, I could be wrong. From the time SA touched a football he has been scoring TDs as easy as anyone ever.....all the way to the very top. That LSU game he came into as a true fresh after staying up all night playing madden and scored like 4 TDS and 300 yards....we all saw he was special.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
All those other guys haven't achieved Shawn Alexanders greatness. There is no comparison IMO. Once Ingram, Henry or Drake win super bowls and become MVP of the NFL then a comparison can be made. Just my opinion, I could be wrong. From the time SA touched a football he has been scoring TDs as easy as anyone ever.....all the way to the very top. That LSU game he came into as a true fresh after staying up all night playing madden and scored like 4 TDS and 300 yards....we all saw he was special.
Here is a pretty good article listing players from the state of Alabama and their NFL careers:

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2016/07/alabamas_greatest_100_football_3.html

Cadakeen

Apr 9, 2014
In my opinion he is best RB In the last ever at Bama. He had an amazing skill set. Under Saban he would have won a Heisman. NFL most valuable player in 2005, pro bowls, led the league in rushing and twice in touchdowns. And on top of all that a good person.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
In my opinion he is best RB In the last ever at Bama. He had an amazing skill set. Under Saban he would have won a Heisman. NFL most valuable player in 2005, pro bowls, led the league in rushing and twice in touchdowns. And on top of all that a good person.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Playing for Saban he would have been splitting carries. You would remember him very differently.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
Playing for Saban he would have been splitting carries. You would remember him very differently.
I was about to post the same thing. But IIRC, the week after that miraculous game against LSU, SA didn't even play. Everyone was like, WTH? Where's Alexander?

I don't know if he's the best RB to play at Bama, but he's certainly one of the best. He won the Iron Bowl one year through sheer willpower. It was an amazing performance.

Bamagradandmom

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 26, 2017
He was most definitely the smoothest runner, he just glided across the field like he was on ice skates. Loved his style of running.
That is what I loved about his running style, a hot knife thru butter. He was so smooth and made it look for effortless, some media morons questioned his game in the NFL at first, they quickly learned!

He was an awesome ambassador for the University of Alabama.

pluckngrit

Suspended
Nov 2, 2003
He definitely would have to learn how to get up from the pile a lot quicker if he ever wanted to play for coach saban!

danb

All-SEC
Dec 4, 2011
Hazel Green, AL
He definitely would have to learn how to get up from the pile a lot quicker if he ever wanted to play for coach saban!
I remember an old interview SA had and he mentioned why he got up so slow after every play. He said he did that, so the opposing team wouldn’t know if the hit he sustained on the play hurt him or was getting to him. He basically said he got up slowly so they never really knew if the hits were taking their toll on him.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.