Refs in games so far have me worried

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
It's not just the big plays that they miss or the ones that are erroneously called against us. It's the all the holding calls that are NEVER called against the other team when we are called for it. This and the other 10-15 yards penalties that just stack up against up and nothing called on the other team. Very frustrating!
Yep. Clemson famously ran 99 offensive plays last year. Zero flags for holding. Against one of the most dominant defensive fronts in years. SMH.

Tenntiderman

All-American
Dec 1, 2017
Spring Hill, Tn
I keep thinking that the Kentucky RB who was ejected must have let loose with a foul oratory. I saw nothing physical that would cause an ejection. Yet the head Ref did not hesitate to throw the flag and eject him. He appeared to be frustrated to me. He had just been tackled for a loss.

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton
I keep thinking that the Kentucky RB who was ejected must have let loose with a foul oratory. I saw nothing physical that would cause an ejection. Yet the head Ref did not hesitate to throw the flag and eject him. He appeared to be frustrated to me. He had just been tackled for a loss.
The ref said after the game that the player never said anything. He said that he was ejected solely for laying hands on an official.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
The ref said after the game that the player never said anything. He said that he was ejected solely for laying hands on an official.
Btw, foul language does not result in ejection unless there was an unannounced rule change. Curse out his momma, it's an unsportsmanlike, not ejection.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
Time for an outside source to monitor refs, not other refs from same NCAA group. Time to slap bad calls even if it is way after game. Right now every time the go back and grade refs, it is all talk, no real punishment for really bad calls. Until their are real punishments for really bad calls they will never change.I ahve seen calls so bad and they just make excuses, nver any suspensions or fines no matter what. It is a sham what they do. No way some refs should not be demoted or punished some for what they seem to literally just IGNORE in games.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
Pass interference is not going to be called this bowl season. We should act accordingly until it is called.

LeBron47

1st Team
Aug 30, 2007
don't want to get in the middle of this but refs have and will cost teams games. You're basically saying when two teams are evenly matched that its still your fault when the refs give a team 5 downs to score (missouri game a few years back) and that's not a single play but multiple on one possession at the end of the drive. The uk rb ejection was horrendous, the two (not single) pick plays from last year were just as bad and were pick plays that allowed for tds to be scored. How about the tying score in the iron bowl a couple years back? Bama played by the rules and the refs allow lineman down field with au scoring the tying td. Without that noncall the kick 6 doesn't happen. How can any team account for that? You go into a game planning for the other team. Not the extra points or plays refs give them. Sure if one team is that much better than the other then you can overcome but not when you have two teams evenly matched. A refs job is to make sure the game is played fairly and to protect the players. That's their only job. Not to give a team an advantage over another team.
exactly poster is dead on right

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Refs are human; they are going to make mistakes. It is part of the game. Generally, bad calls balance out in a season, but that does not mean that a bad call can't cost a team a game. That is for sure. Being a referee is a difficult job, and we should not expect perfection any more than we can expect perfection from players or coaches or ourselves. However, some of these situations that replay should correct can definitely be frustrating. I have made my feelings clear that I hate how college football replay is handled because it often throws off the momentum and feeling of the game because it takes too long while we still get stuck with incorrect calls. There have been games where replay is used on multiple plays in a row and is just ridiculous. Keep the game moving; give the coaches a challenge per half, and play hard to overcome bad calls because they are going to happen.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
That's not an equitable analogy at all.

Relying on a single play to win a game is not very prudent. That's what I am saying.

Completely different than saying you should get a second job in case you are robbed.
For example, regardless of the pick-plays last year, just one Bama third down conversion out of many opportunities and that last play only happens in the dreams of Clemson fans ... at time 60:01 or later.

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
This is like saying that you should just get a second job if someone robs you and you have to cover your debts without the funds taken. I mean, that's life. You should have been prepared to fend off the robbery, so it is really all your fault.

Come on, man.
Agreed. That game was Bama’s to lose and they did. All they needed was one first down and the title was theirs. Simply didn’t execute when they needed it most. Got to give Clemson the credit too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Yep. Clemson famously ran 99 offensive plays last year. Zero flags for holding. Against one of the most dominant defensive fronts in years. SMH.
That was ridiculous because there were some truly blatant holds in that game. I’d tell Jonah and the boys to hold all game long until they call it. Something tells me they will see all the Bama holds.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Haven't seen this one mentioned. In MSU's game against Louisville, a Louisville runner had his outside foot planted firmly inbounds when an MSU defender made a hard tackle knocking him out of bounds; the defender was flagged for a late hit. Usually, if a player is slightly out of bounds and moving downfield, the refs will let it go; in this case, the player was physically on the field of play.

As much as I hate all the time taken on reviews, I wish this had been reviewable. It was readily obvious and could have been change fairly quickly. I just know Bama is going to get called for one of these...

rolltide7854

All-American
Aug 20, 2007
Birmingham, Ala
Haven't seen this one mentioned. In MSU's game against Louisville, a Louisville runner had his outside foot planted firmly inbounds when an MSU defender made a hard tackle knocking him out of bounds; the defender was flagged for a late hit. Usually, if a player is slightly out of bounds and moving downfield, the refs will let it go; in this case, the player was physically on the field of play.

As much as I hate all the time taken on reviews, I wish this had been reviewable. It was readily obvious and could have been change fairly quickly. I just know Bama is going to get called for one of these...
I saw that play, it was a terrible call. A play like that should be reviewed.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
Watching the miss st game now. Not only a fumble that wasn't called but a penalty for hit out of bounds when the player wasn't out of bounds.

No team in the history of football has ever beaten the refs. Just saying. Ask Pittsburgh from a few weeks ago or many teams this bowl season.

Haven't seen this one mentioned.
It WOUNDS me to think that you didn't already know I would gripe about this. Hurt even.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Sometimes you just get into a tight game - for better or for worse - and it's incumbent on officials to get it right.

Oklahoma State should have never been in such a close game with Central Michigan last year, but they managed to take the lead at the end - only to lose it because the officials made a horrendous call. That's inexcusable.

I agree that the goal in all sports should be to play so well and so relentless that the officials can't affect the outcome. There will be times, though, when the game is tight and that's when officials should earn their keep. Too often, however, they do the opposite.

And for what it's worth, I'll go to my grave believing the Clemson play was illegal - that was no mere rub route.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
You play a game as it is and, yes officials unfortunately are prone to make mistakes during the course of the game, that is football. We have all seen many horrible calls for and against us, but to blame the officiating after a loss makes you sound like an auburn fan. You win with class, you lose with class.

Last edited:

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
You play a game as it is and, yes officials unfortunately are prone to make mistakes during the course of the game, that is football. We have all seen many horrible calls for and against us, but to blame the officiating after a loss makes you sound like an auburn fan. You win with class, you lose with class.
This is rhetoric that ignores the reality that officials can put points and yards on the board and take them off.

Alabama lost its only NCAA tournament game under Anthony Grant while Trevor Releford was clearly fouled on a three point shot. By every right he should have been at the line with a chance to tie the game. The official's refusal to call a blatant foul is in part to blame for that loss, which in turn affected the trajectory of our program. This sort of garbage will not improve unless it is dealt with - behind the scenes, preferably, but dealt with all the same.

Since Oklahoma State didn't blow out Central Michigan, was it ok for the officials to miss a call that cost the Pokes the game? Is it classless to notice?

If winning with class means ignoring very bad officiating, well, take that class and stuff it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.