Refs in games so far have me worried

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
This is rhetoric that ignores the reality that officials can put points and yards on the board and take them off.

Alabama lost its only NCAA tournament game under Anthony Grant while Trevor Releford was clearly fouled on a three point shot. By every right he should have been at the line with a chance to tie the game. The official's refusal to call a blatant foul is in part to blame for that loss, which in turn affected the trajectory of our program. This sort of garbage will not improve unless it is dealt with - behind the scenes, preferably, but dealt with all the same.

Since Oklahoma State didn't blow out Central Michigan, was it ok for the officials to miss a call that cost the Pokes the game? Is it classless to notice?

If winning with class means ignoring very bad officiating, well, take that class and stuff it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, Prof I don't plan on stuffing it, but will tell you that whatever your opinion is on bad officiating it has no impact on the outcome of a game. It is okay to voice your displeasure however.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
You play a game as it is and, yes officials unfortunately are prone to make mistakes during the course of the game, that is football. We have all seen many horrible calls for and against us, but to blame the officiating after a loss makes you sound like an auburn fan. You win with class, you lose with class.
So people who disagree with you here have no class? I am confused abut what to take away from this post.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think that the class reference is attributable to Coach Bryant. I certainly did not mean to imply those who disagree with me have no class.
Thanks - I have never thought that Ohio State lost a game because of an official, but I know for a fact that other teams have lost games because of officials. Using it as an excuse for a loss is one thing, but recognizing the reality that it happens is also important. Players and coaches can't use it as an excuse because it keeps them from introspective analysis. Fans shouldn't because it is unhealthy. But it still happens, and it is not infrequent.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Thanks - I have never thought that Ohio State lost a game because of an official, but I know for a fact that other teams have lost games because of officials. Using it as an excuse for a loss is one thing, but recognizing the reality that it happens is also important. Players and coaches can't use it as an excuse because it keeps them from introspective analysis. Fans shouldn't because it is unhealthy. But it still happens, and it is not infrequent.
Absolutely, well said B1G.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
You play a game as it is and, yes officials unfortunately are prone to make mistakes during the course of the game, that is football. We have all seen many horrible calls for and against us, but to blame the officiating after a loss makes you sound like an auburn fan. You win with class, you lose with class.

Amen, Gray. There's a reason you never hear a coach whine about how a ref lost them the game. They are smart enough to know that every game is comprised of many different aspects and many plays...each of which has the potential to help or hurt the outcome. Blaming a loss on the officiating is just a very small-minded way of thinking....

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
I feeel most times it is not used as excuse for losing but it does affect the game. I just wished they had a group of folks looking at bad calls on momday and if a ref is missing calls or getting to picky he should be talked to or fined or suspended or moved to lower games. At the top level some of the BS calls I have seen should not be missed by a decent ref in pee wee football. There is a lot on the line in these games, expecting professionals to be professional is not out of line. There i no way that a dfense that ranks tops all year and gets after teams can go an entire gam with not one holding call, impossible. I know some things get missed but when a team plays Bama and not one time gets flagged for holding, you have to know they are over looking stuff. How an entire season can go by and every opponent having their cleanest game all year aginst just us is BS perid end of story. Then add in defenses holding our WR's as penalty if it is called is not really a penalty, things need changing. When you can Tackle a WR and only give up a first down and 15 yards, instead of giving up a TD you are asking for it.

Time to punish teams for using rules as a play in the playbook. better to just slam him than let him burn you. better to give up 15 yards and penalty thn a TD. That putd WR in a no win situation. The game should not be decided by the rule book, simple as that. Time to bring back the interference call and placing the ball at the spot of the foul or 15 yards, which ever is worse. Tackling a guy 50 yardfs down field before ball arrives and giving up 15 yards, of course they will maul WR. Now place the ball where he maulwed him and they will stop it.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Amen, Gray. There's a reason you never hear a coach whine about how a ref lost them the game. They are smart enough to know that every game is comprised of many different aspects and many plays...each of which has the potential to help or hurt the outcome. Blaming a loss on the officiating is just a very small-minded way of thinking....
Coaches rarely publicly say anything about officiating because they know they can't. The media typically crucifies them. Plus, they want the players to take responsibility.

Behind closed doors? They no doubt discuss it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Coaches rarely publicly say anything about officiating because they know they can't. The media typically crucifies them. Plus, they want the players to take responsibility.

This is correct and for all the garbage that the media complain about, it's really chicken on their part to not complain more about officiating.

I had a well-known local media figure give me some rigamarole about class and not complaining about officiating. He used the same line from Coach Bryant and he, too, was wrong.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
This is correct and for all the garbage that the media complain about, it's really chicken on their part to not complain more about officiating.
Nothing good can come from a coach complaining about officiating. They risk retribution on the field in future games, but (more importantly) they risk having the players lose focus on what they can control. But I agree that the media should be more vocal about it. That is really the only way it will change.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Nothing good can come from a coach complaining about officiating. They risk retribution on the field in future games, but (more importantly) they risk having the players lose focus on what they can control. But I agree that the media should be more vocal about it. That is really the only way it will change.
That's how we got the CFP - media complaints.

It's also what will kill the bowls - talk radio clowns have decided they're worthless and we'll find it a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Bamagradandmom

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 26, 2017
I agree, there is no way they can go public with their complaints, for all the reasons you have and maybe it is just the NFL, but are there fines associated with publicly complaining?

And look at CMR last night, should have been ejected, you know Saban would be if he acted that way!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I feeel most times it is not used as excuse for losing but it does affect the game. I just wished they had a group of folks looking at bad calls on momday and if a ref is missing calls or getting to picky he should be talked to or fined or suspended or moved to lower games. At the top level some of the BS calls I have seen should not be missed by a decent ref in pee wee football. There is a lot on the line in these games, expecting professionals to be professional is not out of line. There i no way that a dfense that ranks tops all year and gets after teams can go an entire gam with not one holding call, impossible. I know some things get missed but when a team plays Bama and not one time gets flagged for holding, you have to know they are over looking stuff. How an entire season can go by and every opponent having their cleanest game all year aginst just us is BS perid end of story. Then add in defenses holding our WR's as penalty if it is called is not really a penalty, things need changing. When you can Tackle a WR and only give up a first down and 15 yards, instead of giving up a TD you are asking for it.

Time to punish teams for using rules as a play in the playbook. better to just slam him than let him burn you. better to give up 15 yards and penalty thn a TD. That putd WR in a no win situation. The game should not be decided by the rule book, simple as that. Time to bring back the interference call and placing the ball at the spot of the foul or 15 yards, which ever is worse. Tackling a guy 50 yardfs down field before ball arrives and giving up 15 yards, of course they will maul WR. Now place the ball where he maulwed him and they will stop it.
And it gets even more irritating when the DB just shrugs his shoulders when the flag is thrown and, by his posture, makes sure everyone knows he meant to do it...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Not just the media. They get fined. IIRC, SOS got fined a couple of times and some others have also...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Not just the media. They get fined. IIRC, SOS got fined a couple of times and some others have also...
Yep. Fines and reprimands also happen, depending on how bad the coach undresses the officiating.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.