Game Thread: Capital One Orange Bowl: Wisconsin vs The U

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I can’t link due to NSFTF language, but please Google “Paul Chryst turnover chain”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Wow, the B1G remains undefeated in the bowl season. That’s impressive no matter how you are matched up.
I agree, and I'm sure the Big folks will toot their horn. We would if the SEC went undefeated in bowl play. Next year when it is once again selection time for the playoffs, I'm sure people will mention how the Big was left out but then went undefeated in bowls just like people have mentioned the last two Big teams included in the playoff got absolutely hammered. They did seem to have favorable matchups in their bowl games, but it is still impressive to win them all. I tip my cap to the Big Ten today.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Wisconsin is one of the few B1G programs that I really like. They generally have pretty solid coaching, don't show their butts during games, and their fans are very welcoming. Madison is also one of the most beautiful cities in the country (in the summer).

Congrats to the Badgers. Green Bay is out of the playoffs, so this is really the memory that will carry them through the off-season.

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
I think this Miami team really overachieved and they had a bunch of problems masked by a defense that was really good but maybe not great yet played hard and had a knack for getting the football.

I think 10-3 is a good step in the right direction for them. Have a young QB. Defense is getting their mojo back. Need to develop a run game...might require development because the last staff may have not left them much there.
Good post. Richt said at the first of the year that they were still in need of some more good recruits to be where they needed to be (or something to that effect).

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Agreed. Nothing about this game made me think "wow, Wisky has some crazy-good talent" - it just made me realize that all Miami has is some flash.
To be fair, the Wisconsin QB played his best game of the year by a long shot. There is no way that Miami could have prepared for that. They generally run the ball, and Miami consistently held them to 3rd and long with a great defensive game plan, but that QB kept making great 3rd down passes to keep drives alive.

His performance, coming out of nowhere, reminded me a lot of AJ's performance in the 2011 BCSCG. Coaches finally let him play, and he proved that he was up to the task.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Wisconsin is one of the few B1G programs that I really like. They generally have pretty solid coaching, don't show their butts during games, and their fans are very welcoming. Madison is also one of the most beautiful cities in the country (in the summer).

Congrats to the Badgers. Green Bay is out of the playoffs, so this is really the memory that will carry them through the off-season.
I enjoy watching how Whisky plays the game. They play good, solid football without all the flash and hype. They don't have a lot of four and five star guys flying around, but they have guys who know how to play the game and play good, hard-nosed football with good execution.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
While I did not watch the game, I do like Wisconsin and am glad they beat Thug U. I might be wrong, but another reason to like Wisconsin they do wear all the crap uniforms most teams wear, basically like us red at home and white on the road.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
To be fair, the Wisconsin QB played his best game of the year by a long shot. There is no way that Miami could have prepared for that. They generally run the ball, and Miami consistently held them to 3rd and long with a great defensive game plan, but that QB kept making great 3rd down passes to keep drives alive.

His performance, coming out of nowhere, reminded me a lot of AJ's performance in the 2011 BCSCG. Coaches finally let him play, and he proved that he was up to the task.
Sure, Wisky played well across the board - my point had nothing to do with how they played, as I expect Wisconsin to play consistently and execute. They just don't have the 'wow' athletes, which is why I said this game did more to expose Miami as not being ready than to make an argument as to how good Wisconsin is.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Sure, Wisky played well across the board - my point had nothing to do with how they played, as I expect Wisconsin to play consistently and execute. They just don't have the 'wow' athletes, which is why I said this game did more to expose Miami as not being ready than to make an argument as to how good Wisconsin is.
Yep - I was just explaining Miami's bad game. They had the better athletes - they just prepared for a different game than the one played. Had Wisconsin played their standard game, Miami wins easily.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA

I thought the Wisconsin QB played great, and his receivers made some good catches. I hope Jalen does the same Monday and has his best game of the year.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Wisconsin's season average passing was 192 yards per game.

Last night they had 258 yards passing.

Their season average rushing was 223 yards per game.

Last night they only had 142 rushing.

What stands out to me was the 3 interceptions by Rosier vs. none for Hornibrook.

Those turnovers will kill you......

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Wisconsin's season average passing was 192 yards per game.

Last night they had 258 yards passing.

Their season average rushing was 223 yards per game.

Last night they only had 142 rushing.

What stands out to me was the 3 interceptions by Rosier vs. none for Hornibrook.

Those turnovers will kill you......
Bazza, it wasn't the yardage passing, it was the passes completed on 3rd and long. Miami stuffed the running game. Without those very uncharacteristic 3rd down conversions, Miami wins easily, even with their turnovers.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Well apparently - according to the commentators - Manny Diaz was worried about Wisconsin's 3rd down passing. Apparently they were low-key really good on 3rd down passing. A defensive coach will spend so much time on making sure they can stop their run games that the pass defense preparation is usually undercooked against Wisconsin. I thought this was the case even when we played them in 2015. Some really triflingly simple pass plays converted on 3rd and long a few times. We just had so much talent at DB and overwhelming pass rush that it never really became an issue for us.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Bazza, it wasn't the yardage passing, it was the passes completed on 3rd and long. Miami stuffed the running game. Without those very uncharacteristic 3rd down conversions, Miami wins easily, even with their turnovers.
Wisconsin just turned out to be a much better passing team than I expected. Some of those 3rd down passes/catches were remarkable...

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I agree, and I'm sure the Big folks will toot their horn. We would if the SEC went undefeated in bowl play. Next year when it is once again selection time for the playoffs, I'm sure people will mention how the Big was left out but then went undefeated in bowls just like people have mentioned the last two Big teams included in the playoff got absolutely hammered. They did seem to have favorable matchups in their bowl games, but it is still impressive to win them all. I tip my cap to the Big Ten today.
but when it comes down to it, who cares what they say.

i stopped watching at half-time. glad to see whisky won.

Bubbaloo

1st Team
Dec 8, 2015
Mark Richt's usual choke, usual blackout fizzle, and putting his hands on a ref. in anger ! Karma got him, but he's a good man. :)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.