Police Arrest Heavily Armed Man In Houston (Developing)

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I’ve not see see this on the net but it is a respected investigative reporter via Twitter filing a brief.

A reporter from Channel 2 in Houston (not on net yet):

Man in custody after Houston police find AR-15, shotgun, handgun and “lots of ammmo” inside his hotel room, on 28th floor of Houston Hyatt Regency, overlooking planned New Year’s celebration. His truck, with paper plates, found and towed.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Man in custody after Houston police find AR-15, shotgun, handgun and “lots of ammmo” inside his hotel room
I'm betting there are literally thousands of people all over Texas that have this (and more) in their vehicles 24/7/365.

My questions is, what was he arrested for?

"When other officers arrived, they found several guns inside the suspect’s room. He was then arrested on charges of unlawfully carrying a weapon and trespassing."

How was he trespassing if he had a room? And how was he unlawfully carrying a weapon?

It could be that the police saved a bunch of people's lives with this arrest - or they might have just thrown some charges at him in order to question him. Without knowing more, it certainly looks more like the latter than the former...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'm betting there are literally thousands of people all over Texas that have this (and more) in their vehicles 24/7/365.

My questions is, what was he arrested for?

"When other officers arrived, they found several guns inside the suspect’s room. He was then arrested on charges of unlawfully carrying a weapon and trespassing."

How was he trespassing if he had a room? And how was he unlawfully carrying a weapon?

It could be that the police saved a bunch of people's lives with this arrest - or they might have just thrown some charges at him in order to question him. Without knowing more, it certainly looks more like the latter than the former...
Normally, that description, in LEO speak, means that he was prohibited from possessing a firearm - convicted felon, on parole, under a TRO, etc...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
With where he'd situated himself, overlooking the celebration, they would have found something to detain him on. If he's a real danger, they don't really have much to charge him with, even if the illegal possession charge holds up. We may not have heard the last from him...

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Texas has a specific provision for concealed weapons in hotels. I was waiting for some coworkers to show up for a meeting in a Hotel in Dallas a few months back before going to see a customer and noticed a sign that said

PURSUANT TO SECTION 30.06, PENAL CODE (TRESPASS BY LICENSE HOLDER WITH A CONCEALED HANDGUN) A PERSON LICENSED UNDER SUBHAPTER H, CHAPTER 411, GOVERNMENT CODE (HANDGUN LICENSING LAW), MAY NOT ENTER THIS PROPERTY WITH A CONCEALED HANDGUN.

PURSUANT TO SECTION 30.07, PENAL CODE (TRESPASS BY LICENSE HOLDER WITH AN OPENLY CARRIED HANDGUN), A PERSON LICENSED UNDER SUPCHAPTER H, CHAPTER 411, GOVERNMENT CODE (HANDGUN LICENSING LAW), MAY NOT ENTER THIS PROPERTY WITH A HANDGUN THAT IS CARRIED OPENLY.
so I looked it up

https://ogletree.com/shared-content...-steps-hotels-should-take-before-the-new-year

my assumption is this is how they picked him up and what they are holding him under

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Texas has a specific provision for concealed weapons in hotels. I was waiting for some coworkers to show up for a meeting in a Hotel in Dallas a few months back before going to see a customer and noticed a sign that said

so I looked it up

https://ogletree.com/shared-content...-steps-hotels-should-take-before-the-new-year

my assumption is this is how they picked him up and what they are holding him under
Does anyone know if the Hyatt in Houston has this policy regarding guests and handguns? I wonder how many hotels in Texas do this.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
everything is available on the internet if you just know how to look for it

https://houston.regency.hyatt.com/en/hotel/our-hotel/firearms-policy.html
Thanks. I went through the reservation process and didn't see it in the reservation's terms and conditions which the article indicated that it should. I looked for the policy separately as well but now realize that I probably wasn't on the specific hotel's website but maybe on Hyatt's general site. It's pretty easy to find if looking in the right place.

It is also interesting that this policy is in regard to handguns. Can someone still bring in rifles and shotguns?

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
Texas has a specific provision for concealed weapons in hotels.
I'm not sure that it hotel specific. My reading of FAQs 43-46 leads me to believe it is for any private property owner that chooses to post said notice.
https://www.dps.texas.gov/RSD/LTC/faqs/index.htm

Yes. Private property owners may exclude license holders from carrying concealed handguns on their property by giving the license holder effective notice as provided in Section 30.06, Texas Penal Code.

Effective 1/1/2016, private property owners may exclude license holders from carrying openly on their property by giving the license holder effective notice as provided by Section 30.07, Texas Penal Code.

For the purpose of these two statutory sections, the owner of the property or someone with apparent authority to act for the owner may provide effective notice.

Effective 1/1/2016, a sign posted under §30.06, Texas Penal Code, must do the following:

Include the following text in English and in Spanish:
Pursuant to Section 30.06, Penal Code (trespass by license holder with a concealed handgun), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code (handgun licensing law), may not enter this property with a concealed handgun”
Appear in contrasting colors with block letters at least one inch in height; and
Be displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public.

Include the following text in English and in Spanish: “Pursuant to Section 30.07, Penal Code (trespass by license holder with an openly carried handgun), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code (handgun licensing law), may not enter this property with a handgun that is carried openly.”
Appear in contrasting colors with block letters at least one inch in height; and
Be displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public at each entrance to the property.

DPS does not furnish or sell these signs. Private property owners may print the signs or purchase the signs from a commercial printing company. Pursuant to Section 411.017, Government Code, the sign may not reflect the DPS seal or name.

Last edited:

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Here, if you enter a posted private premise with a weapon, it's a trespass, but you only have to leave to escape prosecution. That's because a sign doesn't have "force of law" in Alabama. It sounds like Texas possibly has the force of law rule, since it was a trespass ab initio. I'll look it up...

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
I noticed the sign in a hotel and then saw it in others in TX as I spend a good deal of time there for work over the last few years. I just assumed it was hotel specific
I've spent about 3 weeks in Texas hotels in the past year and a half. I couldn't tell you if any of them had that notice posted or not. Which means I couldn't tell you if I broke that particular law, or not.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.