Respect For Tide Program & Nick Saban

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017
This is probably going to sound odd coming from a Georgia graduate and die-hard Dawg fan, but I've got a ton of respect for Nick Saban and what he's done at Alabama. Most people cheer for the underdog - I don't. As a Process Engineer who understands vision, strategy and methodology, I enjoy watching a team execute a plan to perfection. I embrace a constant pursuit of excellence and enjoy watching Bama dismantle their opponents, particularly when it's Allbarn!

As Bama fans I would think their would be a sense of pride in seeing Kirby's success at Georgia's - like a kid brother learning to fly. Unlike a lot of Saban's former assistants, Kirby Smart was All-In with CNS's system. Kirby spent the most time with Nick and as this accompanying article discusses, he became part of Saban's trusted inner circle. As a Georgia fan I couldn't be more pleased. I have a coach who is trying to build Bama East! He's got a looooooooooong way to go to mirror Saban's success, but I think he's building a Bama like foundation.

Anyway, I hope you guys crush Clempsum and we take care of OU. How amazing would it be to see Luke Skywalker take on Obi-Wan Kenobi for the National Championship?

Good read: http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...sing-nick-saban-alabama-crimson-tide-playbook

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
I definitely respect Kirby and his success at Georgia. No big surprise all of us knew it was going to happen. A Uga/ Bama matchup would be awesome.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
Very good first post Dawg and on the recruiting board to boot. We love Kirby and yes very proud of him. Thing is that we are adversaries now. You guys are going head to head with us in recruiting everyday and it is a bitter pill to swallow when Kirby gets one of our coveted recruits. Suddenly, recruiting has become tough sledding in your state so naturally we have mixed emotions about your coach. However, I know it can and will be a healthy rivalry going forward and am just glad you guys are in the other division. Hopefully, we will meet next week in the National Championship Game and it will be an annual event.

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017
As a SEC homer, I haven't been thrilled with our performances in the Bowl games. Outside of the Top 3 the SEC hasn't been what it needs to be. However, I think that's about to change. I think the East will whole lot more competitive in the next 2-3 years. I think Pruitt was a good hire for Tenn. He'll need to keep his temper in check and watch what he says, but I think he's a heck of a coach will bring them back. I also believe Mullen was a good hire for Florida. CDM knows the state of Florida and is a terrific recruiter. Lastly, Boom is quietly putting together a solid 2018 class for South Carolina.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Smart inherited a much better situation than Saban. He had a sophomore & junior classes in year 1 that had a lot of talent and a good demeanor (they actually took to coaching and bought into the program). It didn't pay off huge in year 1 but helped launch a similar resurgent year 2 Saban led here. You're getting a bit further than we did simply because that pre-existing Richt talent was so good compared to the Shula talent Saban inherited. UGA is getting their version of the 2008 recruiting class here. We needed a big recruiting class and one of the best years in-state ever for recruiting coincided with Saban's first full recruiting class. Smart is getting a similar benefit.

I think Smart got a bit lucky but I feel like even great coaches need a bit a luck to get the momentum going forward. Though these days I imagine he knew about the likely talent for the 2018 Georgia HS seniors before leaving Alabama. He couldn't have imagined the buy in from the guys who would be likely to be around for a couple of years with him. He couldn't quite predict just how good his second full recruiting class would be in-state. But these are the kind of things you need to build a program.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Too early to give Kirby a pile of praise. He walked into a terrific situation, plenty of talent on board, key players stayed for their senior year, the QB position worked out when it could have fallen apart, and a very weak SEC East again this year. I think it will be another year or two before we know how good CKS is as a head coach. As the 'new kid on the block' he's having success recruiting so it's easy to see why the UGA fans are already giddy.

I certainly have nothing against Kirby, other than how he handled the transfer issue last year with Smith (?), but, after all, he is an opponent now so no wishes of continued good luck.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
With the number of D1 recruits in Ga KS will have Georgia perennially winning the SEC East. No longer will the SEC Championship be a tune-up for the playoffs.

I guess I'm happy for you -- both my daughter in laws are UGA people so I have to be nice.

RTR -- are you ready for the Armageddon of football on 1/8???

DawgByte

1st Team
Dec 21, 2017
With the number of D1 recruits in Ga KS will have Georgia perennially winning the SEC East. No longer will the SEC Championship be a tune-up for the playoffs.

I guess I'm happy for you -- both my daughter in laws are UGA people so I have to be nice.

RTR -- are you ready for the Armageddon of football on 1/8???
When Kirby came to UGA his first priority was to put a lock down on in state talent. Given the transient nature of Atlanta and the proximity of many High Schools to competing ACC/SEC schools it's impossible to nab all the best players. However, I think over the last two classes Kirby has done a very good job in convincing the top in state talent to play for the 'home team'. If this trend continues then I agree Georgia should be in the mix to win the East for several years to come. I'm sure Jeremy Pruitt and Dan Mullen will not go quietly though. I fully expect those two programs to resurrect themselves. Bring it on, I welcome a rise in the East... tired of it being a doormat to the SEC West teams.

Yes, I'm ready for Armageddon on 1.8.18! Bama is my second favorite team in college football, so if we come up short it's not like losing to Ohio St., a program I absolutely hate.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.