Will Tua see time against UGA ?

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
The idea that Jalen's win/loss record is all that matters is pure folly. We could win every game between now and 2020 but if our offense doesn't improve it could have serious consequences for the long term health of the program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I see what you mean. 2-3 straight national titles in a row could sink the program permanently.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I thought “inside sources” said he was going to play last night.

Turns out that was really people just guessing because word leaked that Jalen missed a few practices due to illness and Tua ran the first time offense (I mean, who else would) while Jalen was out. This was a case of the average fan and / or local media person trying act like an insider. At least that's how I interpret it after all the information came out after the fact..

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Turns out that was really people just guessing because word leaked that Jalen missed a few practices due to illness and Tua ran the first time offense (I mean, who else would) while Jalen was out. This was a case of the average fan and / or local media person trying act like an insider. At least that's how I interpret it after all the information came out after the fact..
I believe this is what happened too. I can't imagine the panic/excitement if we would have heard Tua was taking all the first team snaps in 2 practices leading up to the game. I guess it proves our program can keep a secret.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
The idea that Jalen's win/loss record is all that matters is pure folly.
I think this is a valid point. Saban coached teams are not built around a heavy reliance on the QB to win. Saban teams are built around a strong defense and running game. We are fortunate to have a great defense and a huge stable of RB's. Hurts is more in the RB category than QB. Now Clemson is much more reliant on QB play to win than we are IMO and we saw that Kelly Bryant is not close to a Deshaun Watson. I think Hurts would REALLY struggle if he was playing for Clemson. I know CNS is always looking for ways the team can get better, even after winning so I don't think we should just sit back and be satisfied at the QB position because we are winning. If we are winning and a QB change could make the team even better than I think it should be made. Could Tua be 25-2 after two seasons? My guess is probably. I look at how far UGA has gotten with Jake Fromm and I ask myself " Who's better when comparing Fromm to Tua?" I'd take Tua.

squib

1st Team
Sep 24, 2005
I was hoping Tua would play a little last night just to give Georgia something else to think about.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
The idea that Jalen's win/loss record is all that matters is pure folly. We could win every game between now and 2020 but if our offense doesn't improve it could have serious consequences for the long term health of the program.

WPOTY contender, taking the early lead.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
It was an exaggeration, of course, but y'all have at it.

I got it, bro.

Can't continue to bank on winning with poor offensive production.

Insiders here are already saying it's hurting recruiting of skill players.

Someone else cleverly compared it to flying on a jet with one engine out. Will it work sometimes? Might it eventually bring you down? That's a real worry.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
Saban will play Tua when he feels Tua is ready to play and not one dang second before. The straight up disrespect that Jalen gets is disconcerting. I bet Jalen can go undefeated for three straight years and people would still find a way to replace Jalen at QB. Tua has not proven he is better than Jalen, if/when that day comes, I trust Nick Saban to make that call, but until that day....Jalen is the QUARTERBACK OF THE UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA CRIMSON TIDE.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
maybe we should institute a 48 hour rule for the eeyores. the game just ended 14 hours ago and some folks have spent all morning looking under every rock to find something to wring their hands about.

SkullDuckery

1st Team
Dec 28, 2015
Saban will play Tua when he feels Tua is ready to play and not one dang second before. The straight up disrespect that Jalen gets is disconcerting. I bet Jalen can go undefeated for three straight years and people would still find a way to replace Jalen at QB. Tua has not proven he is better than Jalen, if/when that day comes, I trust Nick Saban to make that call, but until that day....Jalen is the QUARTERBACK OF THE UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA CRIMSON TIDE.
How can anyone determine that if he does not play. Could he do any worse? Like fumbling the ball inside your own 20?

We have great skill players but can’t get the ball to them. Like eating spaghetti with a spoon when we may have a fork right next to us for use.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
How can anyone determine that if he does not play. Could he do any worse? Like fumbling the ball inside your own 20?

We have great skill players but can’t get the ball to them. Like eating spaghetti with a spoon when we may have a fork right next to us for use.
Yes - he could be a lot worse. Just ask Clemson.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I got it, bro.

Can't continue to bank on winning with poor offensive production.

Insiders here are already saying it's hurting recruiting of skill players.

Someone else cleverly compared it to flying on a jet with one engine out. Will it work sometimes? Might it eventually bring you down? That's a real worry.
D'aw, shucks.

SkullDuckery

1st Team
Dec 28, 2015
I don’t think so, he has whatever it is that is special. It will all play out over time though.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I feel as though I've been as big a critic of Jalen as anybody - or at the very least I know I've been a big fan of Tua and think he fits our offensive scheme more.

No, I did not think Jalen played that well against Clemson - yes I think Clemson themselves had something to do with that.

But it somehow feels very wrong to be using this time to rehash some of these arguments. (Though perfectly inbounds as far as the forum goes.)

He's our guy for the next game and there's no chance of Tua playing barring injury or the game being out of reach going either way.

For the short term I think we should rally around Hurts and try to consider what the offensive strategy going in will be.

There will be plenty of time for this once the next game is over and I'll be right there likely plugging Tua and hoping he gets a chance.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Pretty sure a guy getting paid millions of dollars a year that has won us 4 national championships and been close to even more is the one determining that and the one that clearly thinks he might could do worse.

Just a heads up but we've had two Heisman winners that have fumbled the ball multiple times. Shocking I know.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
If Jalen hits the deep pass to Ridley then we aren't having this conversation. Have to remember that Cam Sims and Robert Foster both dropped passes also. We literally just need Jalen to connect on a few intermediate / downfield passes against UGA to be national champions again. I wouldn't re-work the wheel a week out from the game..

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.