Will Tua see time against UGA ?

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I'll address your concern here, though I rarely get involved in actively managing discussions any longer. TF has prided itself for MANY years on having open dialogue in a fair manner. We have always had a LOT of knowledgeable posters here that are both passionate and articulate with their opinions. As long as posters are not attacking other posters, a player, or a coach in a personal manner the discussion is allowed. Criticism of a player's performance can be (and is often) warranted... as long as it doesn't get personal.

An example of this might be to say "Tony Brown can be hot-headed". That's not opinion... it's not heresay... it's the truth. You saw it last night with the constant jawing towards the Clemson bench and you saw it in the post game interviews. To make this statement is not inconsistent with our posting policy - it's an opinion based on credible information.

Jalen Hurts is being criticized by many because of his performance - you haven't seen it before to this extent because of 3 reasons. The first reason is timing. Most everyone I know gives him a total pass on last year - a true freshman is going to get a lot of leeway and rightfully so. Today, he's played the equivalent of most guys into their third year. Second, the level of competition is higher right now. In the past two months, we've seen what JH can and can't do. No one discusses these things when we're playing against Mercer or Colorado State... because it's not things observed at that level of competition. Jalen's struggles come against the better opponents - so there's more discussion now on the subject that there has been.

I want to say a little more on the third - the long-term affect. If we win the NC, it's doubtful Jalen will be unseated despite any off-season QB battle. Simply put, college coaches cover their rear ends... and to unseat your NC-winning QB means you have to answer a LOT of uncomfortable questions if the decision backfires. IMO, if Tua doesn't start next year he'll leave the program. If he leaves, our ability to recruit top shelf pocket passers will be compromised because rival coaches will use this as a tactic against us (i.e. "You saw what Saban did - he had a supremely talented passer and he went with an RPO guy instead"). That means, at least for the next few years we will run this type of offense - an offense featuring a dual-threat QB and a minor focus on skill players around him. Listen to what Bigtide is saying about OSU in recruiting when you have a guy who is perceived as a poor passer and think about RB's like Damien Harris - guys who came to be a feature back who gets the ball 15-20 times per game.

As far as players and family members of players reading this board... it defeats the purpose of a discussion board if we are not allowed to have open discussion about any topics. This may sound harsh, but it's big boy football now. You can either allow message board fodder sink you or you can allow it to fuel your efforts to improve.
There could be an entire thread about the bold topic but I don't buy that. We had to turn away Jake Fromm in order to sign Tua this past recruiting cycle. We've had multiple 5* QBs transfer in the past several years and still had our pick of 5* QBs last year. UGA has 2 elite QBs on roster (Eason and Fromm) and just signed the #1 QB in the country and they have a lousy passing game. Elite QBs want to play for coaches like Saban and at programs like Alabama. We also just signed what will likely be the best WR class in the history of Alabama football. All of those players - JJ, Ruggs, Smith - could have gone to a B1G12 school and caught 100 passes as true freshman but they came to Alabama for a reason. Recruits come to Alabama to make it to the NFL not to put up statistics. Ridley has had disappointing numbers the past few years but he's the #1 WR in every mock draft or NFL player ranking I've seen. As long as we keep putting players in the NFL we'll have our pick of the talent..

Last edited:

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL
Just wanted to add to this that I think the best possible solution would be a 2 QB system. It's not as though Jalen is a bad QB, he makes a lot of impressive plays and I think he can still be a part of this team. We just HAVE to develop a passing game and if he can't do that then you need Tua to provide it.
I've thought about that and my conclusion is that it probably would split the team. Think about it from the standpoint of the other skill position players. Under one guy they get less carries/less balls thrown their way than the other. There would be some serious performances issues as a result and I don't think we go there.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
There could be an entire thread about the bold topic but I don't buy that. We had to turn away Jake Fromm in order to sign Tua this past recruiting cycle. We've had multiple 5* QBs transfer in the past several years and still had our pick of 5* QBs last year. UGA has 2 elite QBs on roster (Eason and Fromm) and just signed the #1 QB in the country. Elite QBs want to play for coaches like Saban and at programs like Alabama. I don't think that'll change anytime soon. We also just signed what will likely be the best WR class in the history of Alabama football. All of those players - JJ, Ruggs, Smith - could have gone to a B1G12 school and caught 100 passes as true freshman but they came to Alabama for a reason. Recruits come to Alabama to make it to the NFL not to put up statistics. Ridley has had disappointing numbers the past few years but he's the #1 WR in every mock draft or NFL player ranking I've seen. As long as we keep putting players in the NFL we'll have our pick of the talent..
Jake Fromm flipped to UGA when Kirby left. Then, we rushed to get Tua.

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
There could be an entire thread about the bold topic but I don't buy that. We had to turn away Jake Fromm in order to sign Tua this past recruiting cycle. We've had multiple 5* QBs transfer in the past several years and still had our pick of 5* QBs last year. UGA has 2 elite QBs on roster (Eason and Fromm) and just signed the #1 QB in the country and they have a lousy passing game. Elite QBs want to play for coaches like Saban and at programs like Alabama. We also just signed what will likely be the best WR class in the history of Alabama football. All of those players - JJ, Ruggs, Smith - could have gone to a B1G12 school and caught 100 passes as true freshman but they came to Alabama for a reason. Recruits come to Alabama to make it to the NFL not to put up statistics. Ridley has had disappointing numbers the past few years but he's the #1 WR in every mock draft or NFL player ranking I've seen. As long as we keep putting players in the NFL we'll have our pick of the talent..
If memory serves me well, the commitment of Tua was also instrumental in the recruitment of the wide receivers in this past class

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I've thought about that and my conclusion is that it probably would split the team. Think about it from the standpoint of the other skill position players. Under one guy they get less carries/less balls thrown their way than the other. There would be some serious performances issues as a result and I don't think we go there.
It would only split the team if there is already a rift or if it is managed poorly IMO. Obviously, I don't know the personalities and thoughts of every player so I can't say any of this definitively but I just think if managed correctly it could be deadly.

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL
There could be an entire thread about the bold topic but I don't buy that. We had to turn away Jake Fromm in order to sign Tua this past recruiting cycle. We've had multiple 5* QBs transfer in the past several years and still had our pick of 5* QBs last year. UGA has 2 elite QBs on roster (Eason and Fromm) and just signed the #1 QB in the country. Elite QBs want to play for coaches like Saban and at programs like Alabama. I don't think that'll change anytime soon. We also just signed what will likely be the best WR class in the history of Alabama football. All of those players - JJ, Ruggs, Smith - could have gone to a B1G12 school and caught 100 passes as true freshman but they came to Alabama for a reason. Recruits come to Alabama to make it to the NFL not to put up statistics. Ridley has had disappointing numbers the past few years but he's the #1 WR in every mock draft or NFL player ranking I've seen. As long as we keep putting players in the NFL we'll have our pick of the talent..
Would you please show me the QB/RB/WR commitments/signees we have this year? When you do would you compare them with those in years past? I'm not talking about hypotheticals here...

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Jake Fromm flipped to UGA when Kirby left. Then, we rushed to get Tua.
Ok, I just remember that Fromm was committed to Bama and then when he de-committed we signed Tua. If that's how you say it happened I believe you but the point remains the same. What about the substance of my post though? I see no evidence that our recruiting is falling off at all and I don't buy the argument that it will in the future based on the points I made..

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Would you please show me the QB/RB/WR commitments/signees we have this year? When you do would you compare them with those in years past? I'm not talking about hypotheticals here...
Sure, once the class is complete. Early signing period just finished but the final signing date is in February..

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Would you go ahead and list the possibilities at the positions that are being considered?
I thought we weren't talking hypotheticals? I casually follow recruiting so not sure I could list them off the top of my head. I bet we end up with a top 5 class or better though. Only reason we likely won't be #1 is the size of this class is supposed to be smaller than previous years..

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Ok, I just remember that Fromm was committed to Bama and then when he de-committed we signed Tua. If that's how you say it happened I believe you but the point remains the same. What about the substance of my post though? I see no evidence that our recruiting is falling off at all and I don't buy the argument that it will in the future based on the points I made..
I follow it closely and it is not falling off and not sure where that was started. We signed the best WR class in our programs history last year and we have another top 10 WR already signed in this class and are going hard after 2-3 more highly rated WR. We did not sign a highly rated RB in this class but that is due to our depth chart scared them off.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I follow it closely and it is not falling off and not sure where that was started. We signed the best WR class in our programs history last year and we have another top 10 WR already signed in this class and are going hard after 2-3 more highly rated WR. We did not sign a highly rated RB in this class but that is due to our depth chart scared them off.
The concern is based on what has happened in other programs that went to this style of offense without an emphasis on a down-field passing game. I used OSU as an example. The WR recruits that you pulled in last year came with Tua. The ones that came this year were already sold on Alabama before a second very poor passing year. Let that get to 4 or 5 poor passing seasons and WRs will stop coming.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Exactly. If someone wants to speculate that recruiting may fall off in the future based on decisions that Saban is making IRT handling the QB position then that's fine. Everybody has a right to think what they want. I just see no evidence of that and it's hard for me to follow that logic..

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
The concern is based on what has happened in other programs that went to this style of offense without an emphasis on a down-field passing game. I used OSU as an example. The WR recruits that you pulled in last year came with Tua. The ones that came this year were already sold on Alabama before a second very poor passing year. Let that get to 4 or 5 poor passing seasons and WRs will stop coming.
I don't follow OSU recruiting enough to really dispute that so I'll take your word for it. Seems like that's a broad generalization but you're closer to the OSU program than anyone here. But I will say that all of those WRs will have a chance to play with Tua if everyone sticks around. We're also just assuming that the passing game won't be any better next year..

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I don't follow OSU recruiting enough to really dispute that so I'll take your word for it. Seems like that's a broad generalization but you're closer to the OSU program than anyone here. But I will say that all of those WRs will have a chance to play with Tua if everyone sticks around. We're also just assuming that the passing game won't be any better next year..
This is what it comes down to - have another good year passing and the discussion is moot.

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL
I thought we weren't talking hypotheticals? I casually follow recruiting so not sure I could list them off the top of my head. I bet we end up with a top 5 class or better though. Only reason we likely won't be #1 is the size of this class is supposed to be smaller than previous years..
"Hypothetical" in the sense of "it's only what MIGHT happen in the future with the program" (not current possibilities). Since you casually follow recruiting then I get why you do not see any signs of any drop-off. I'll go ahead and fill the request I asked of you and let you look them up and draw your own conclusions.

* QB - none signed, highest rated on board is James Foster.
* RB - Jerome Ford signed, no more expected to commit.
* WR - Xavier Williams signed, highest rated possibilities include Justin Watkins and Justyn Ross

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Final recruiting rankings don't account for how you do at positions of need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Yes, Alabama signed a ridiculous WR class in 2017. The situation was not near the same as this year, though. Can excuse the QB play last year to first year starter, etc. This year? Not a real good excuse in the recruiting world.

We have one WR in this class. One.

We have two guys listed as all purpose backs. One will most likely switch to WR while the other plays RB. That's it.

Continue the way this is going, and skill position recruiting will suffer. It's just bound to happen.

We've had QBs transfer in the past and saw no drop-off, right? We also had AJ McCarron at QB the entire time before we started the QB carousel with Sims to Coker to Jalen. Skill guys knew could look at AJ and know why other QBs were transferring while still having faith in the passing game.

Can they do that with Jalen for the 2019 recruiting class? I have my doubts.

B1G mentioned Ohio State's recruiting. I checked. Their WR recruiting hasn't been nearly as good as what you would suspect from Urban Meyer in recent years.

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL
Wondered who you were referring to until I noticed that Scout had Williams listed at 5th. For years, Scout has been laughable when it comes to their rankings of players.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
"Hypothetical" in the sense of "it's only what MIGHT happen in the future with the program" (not current possibilities). Since you casually follow recruiting then I get why you do not see any signs of any drop-off. I'll go ahead and fill the request I asked of you and let you look them up and draw your own conclusions.

* QB - none signed, highest rated on board is James Foster.
* RB - Jerome Ford signed, no more expected to commit.
* WR - Xavier Williams signed, highest rated possibilities include Justin Watkins and Justyn Ross
I'm not saying you're wrong but ↓

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.