Will Tua see time against UGA ?

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
All this discussion began because TideForce said he didn't see any signs that recruiting was being affected... and then he listed PAST recruiting classes. Cut it any way you want, but our QB/RB/WR recruits this year aren't quite what some want to make them out to be. With that said, I'm glad all have rolled with the Tide and I hope all end up being A-A's.
I think part of that is because our primary focus seems to have been defensive line and defensive backs. Also, even if Damien Harris and Bo go pro, we still have some very, very good running backs that other guys would have to wait behind. We also have a sophomore at QB who has led us to 26 wins in two years and a guy behind him that many think has even more potential and a guy redshirting behind him. We also have some fantastic freshmen receivers. I think next year we will see us get another top QB and a few RBs and WRs. Of course, I always focus more on the linemen that we sign on both sides of the ball because I like when we have plenty of those big talented dudes. Speaking of which, how big would it be if Daron Payne came back? I know; I know; he is going pro, but it would be huge.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
All this discussion began because TideForce said he didn't see any signs that recruiting was being affected... and then he listed PAST recruiting classes. Cut it any way you want, but our QB/RB/WR recruits this year aren't quite what some want to make them out to be. With that said, I'm glad all have rolled with the Tide and I hope all end up being A-A's.
With all due respect that's because the current class won't be finalized until February. If it turns out to be a lesser class then maybe the theory is correct. I feel like we've both made our points known at this point so I'll drop the subject. I think it's worth revisiting once the current class is finalized though..

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
There were pregame reports of Tua possibly seeing some playing time against Clemson last night. While it never came to fruition, Jalen again was very pedestrian and made a bad mistake on the opening play of the second half that we were fortunate enough not to give up any more points than we did. If Jalen starts struggling against Georgia where they score points and we need the offensive production, will Tua see playing time ? More than anything, I don't want Tua transferring.
But for the fumble and late flee flicker he did a fine job.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
This could be a huge positive for 2019. Top elite RB’s might see a path to walk in and start with only Najee being the only stud RB for fall 2019. Same thing with WR, they might see they can be the next Ridley as a freshman. Finally QB... Especially if Tua bails... Even if he stays, they can look at sit 1 year and I’m the guy for 2 or 3.

I know TIDE-HSV has commented before we have gotten ‘constipated’ at the skill positions and that can create issues. We had a class or 2 where folks Q’d our CB class and it seems Saban got a bunch this class. Kids want to go where they will play and win.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Georgia will probably score more than 6 points. However, it won’t take 24 points to beat them. They run an offense that we have shown amazing ability to stop. They remind me of Mich St in 2015 and LSU with Fornette. Yes, a better QB than what LSU trotted out but, UGA will have similar success. They will run for less than 100 yards and when forced to throw, we will pick off 2 or 3 balls.

We will score more than 24 just b/c the UGA DL is nowhere near Clemson. All we need from Jalen is to 14/20 with 150 yards passing, b/c we will run the ball 45 times for 250 yards and win 31-10.
I would be absolutely shocked, flabbergasted, and blown away if we hold them to under 100 yards rushing. I think they learned their lesson in their first match-up with AU not to abandon their bread and butter. If we do hold them to under 100 rushing, yes, I also think we will easily beat them. The proof will be in the pudding on that one.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'm confused if this was aimed towards me. What does whistling past the graveyard have to do with someone having a differing opinion on a subject? Are we not allowed to respectfully disagree anymore? If this wasn't directed at me then kindly disregard :)
It was meant in good fun....in jest...but as they say there's some truth in jest.

Lately, when anyone has expressed concerns about our offensive play or, in this case, recruiting, there's a chorus of objections as if everything is just perfect. However, it seems some real concerns are just being ignored as if the concerns aren't real....classic case of whistling past the graveyard.

STONECOLDSABAN

All-American
Sep 21, 2007
Mobile, AL
It was meant in good fun....in jest...but as they say there's some truth in jest.

Lately, when anyone has expressed concerns about our offensive play or, in this case, recruiting, there's a chorus of objections as if everything is just perfect. However, it seems some real concerns are just being ignored as if the concerns aren't real....classic case of whistling past the graveyard.
Is it really whistling passed the graveyard??? I don't know what some people expect Alabama to do between now and playing Georgia in a week. No everything is not perfect but Alabama is a win away from their 5th national title in 9 years. They are playing in their third straight national championship game. This isn't directed at you personally but I remember people earlier in the season on the forum people saying every week "that kind of effort won't beat Clemson" well Alabama did beat Clemson, and they beat them with Jalen only throwing for 120 yards. I mean would anyone have believed that before the game??? Now I see people saying "that kind of effort won't beat Georgia". My point is, Maybe its not so much "whistling past the graveyard" so much as its "yeah we get it, the Offense has flaws...Alabama still is in a good position to win another national title"

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Is it really whistling passed the graveyard??? I don't know what some people expect Alabama to do between now and playing Georgia in a week. No everything is not perfect but Alabama is a win away from their 5th national title in 9 years. They are playing in their third straight national championship game. This isn't directed at you personally but I remember people earlier in the season on the forum people saying every week "that kind of effort won't beat Clemson" well Alabama did beat Clemson, and they beat them with Jalen only throwing for 120 yards. I mean would anyone have believed that before the game??? Now I see people saying "that kind of effort won't beat Georgia". My point is, Maybe its not so much "whistling past the graveyard" so much as its "yeah we get it, the Offense has flaws...Alabama still is in a good position to win another national title"
I don't see anybody proposing we make a radical change for the championship game. Tua's ready, I think, if Jalen gets hurt or we fall way behind OR get a big lead.

The bigger discussion to me is about the long view of our offensive stategy and play. I won't rehash what's been said plenty of times. But this is where the concerns of several insightful posters are seemingly being dismissed.

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL
That you have information about something you said? Sure, why not. Most of what's stated on here is opinion but when a moderator or someone else has something on good account they usually say so. Again, I wasn't asking the name of your source just if that was something you had actually heard vs just your own opinion based on observation. BTW, Tua gave an interview this past week about his relationship with Jalen, playing time etc. and said he was really supportive of Jalen and they get along great. I know that a lot happens behind the scenes but he didn't seem like it was bothering him. I give him the benefit of the doubt that he and his family knew what they were signing up for. If I can find a link to the video I'll post it. It may be in the practice thread. RTR91 does a good job of putting pretty much all that kind of stuff into one thread..
I would never confirm on a public message board that something of this nature was sourced or opinion. At least not until it had been publicly stated elsewhere by a reputable person. Something like the negative recruiting like I mentioned earlier, no problem there.

Tua is a good guy and does/says the right things for a guy in his position. If Jalen starts again next year, he’ll start his senior year as well unless injured. Tua can’t afford sitting 2 years and placing all his eggs on one season to impress NFL scouts - for an NCAA QB it’s just a bad decision. Believe what you want...

imaloyalone

Super Moderator
Jan 9, 2005
Northport, AL
With all due respect that's because the current class won't be finalized until February. If it turns out to be a lesser class then maybe the theory is correct. I feel like we've both made our points known at this point so I'll drop the subject. I think it's worth revisiting once the current class is finalized though..
I don’t think you’re getting what I’m saying. Even if we get all the guys targeted, those positions won’t be as strong as the ones in the past few years. We don’t have to wait until the class is finalized to know that. We’re not in on the highest ranked guys at those positions...

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I don’t think you’re getting what I’m saying. Even if we get all the guys targeted, those positions won’t be as strong as the ones in the past few years. We don’t have to wait until the class is finalized to know that. We’re not in on the highest ranked guys at those positions...
Right, and from what I've read (someone can correct me if I'm wrong) that's mainly due to the fact that this will be our smallest class in a long time so we're being more selective. The DB that "flipped" from Bama (Joseph) didn't even receive a LOI to sign from Bama because we're being more selective this cycle. We could've signed him and would be higher ranked at this point but that doesn't fill a need / we're targeting players higher up the board.

We're not going to have the #1 recruiting class every year. UGA has the top class on lock because they're in an inverse situation than we are. They will be signing a larger class and combine that with the new coach hype and that results in a stronger class.

To get to the point - do you really think that if we had simply passed for more yards this year that we'd have the #1 class right now? If so, I'm sorry, I just disagree. I mean look at the 2019 rankings - we're 3rd right now. IMO the offense or lack of a flashy passing game is not hurting us in recruiting. Just a perfect storm of the things I mentioned above that means UGA will probably edge us for the top class this year. It's a real reach to say that if Tua were playing that we would have finished higher in recruiting this year. Also, by this theory UGA wouldn't have the top ranked class because they are something like the 100th rated passing offense..

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
To get to the point - do you really think that if we had simply passed for more yards this year that we'd have the #1 class right now?
Have you seen the comments made by current receivers about Jalen? They have been made publicly. You don't think that recruits see this stuff?

If you were a premier WR hoping to get to the NFL, would you rather play for a team running a pro set offense or an RPO offense like Alabama's? Guys like Ridley, Cooper and Jones came to play in a pro set offense.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Have you seen the comments made by current receivers about Jalen? They have been made publicly. You don't think that recruits see this stuff?

If you were a premier WR hoping to get to the NFL, would you rather play for a team running a pro set offense or an RPO offense like Alabama's? Guys like Ridley, Cooper and Jones came to play in a pro set offense.
I'd rather play for a NFL factory like Alabama because all offenses, even in the NFL, have RPO elements. Have you seen the Chiefs play? Heavy RPO presence in their offense..

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I'd rather play for a NFL factory like Alabama because all offenses, even in the NFL, have RPO elements. Have you seen the Chiefs play? Heavy RPO presence in their offense..
No, you wouldn't. OSU is proof positive.

Look, this doesn't matter if the passing game improves. Let's just hope that it does. I am certainly hoping for as much at OSU next year.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
No, you wouldn't. OSU is proof positive.

Look, this doesn't matter if the passing game improves. Let's just hope that it does. I am certainly hoping for as much at OSU next year.
This is what I disagree about. I don't think the passing game is hurting our recruiting. Most interviews or quotes I see from recruits say they come to Alabama to play for Saban. That's why we have very little turnover when assistants leave our program every year. Again, if the passing game was such a detriment to our recruiting then why does UGA have the #1 class with the 100th something ranked pass offense? Pro style or not their WRs hardly get any targets.

I don't doubt what you say about OSU because like I said you'd know more about that but you can't just take what's happened with OSU recruiting and generalize that rationale across every program. Correct me if I'm wrong but OSU also doesn't seem to sign top flight RBs or at least develop them that well. Other than Zeke what RB has Meyer put in the NFL from his time at OSU? Might be more of a problem with Meyer's development of skill position players than the actual system he's running..

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I don't doubt what you say about OSU because like I said you'd know more about that but you can't just take what's happened with OSU recruiting and generalize that rationale across every program. Correct me if I'm wrong but OSU also doesn't seem to sign top flight RBs or at least develop them that well. Other than Zeke what RB has Meyer put in the NFL from his time at OSU? Might be more of a problem with Meyer's development of skill position players than the actual system he's running..
Skill players in NFL since Meyer arrived at OSU:

Posey - WR
Herron - RB
Hyde - RB
Smith - WR
Spencer - WR
Heuerman - TE
Elliott - RB
Thomas - WR
Miller - WR (athlete)
Vannet - TE
Samuel - WR
Brown - WR

Yeah, he really struggles to develop NFL talent, and these are just the guys drafted (no UFAs). :rolleyes:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Right, and from what I've read (someone can correct me if I'm wrong) that's mainly due to the fact that this will be our smallest class in a long time so we're being more selective. The DB that "flipped" from Bama (Joseph) didn't even receive a LOI to sign from Bama because we're being more selective this cycle. We could've signed him and would be higher ranked at this point but that doesn't fill a need / we're targeting players higher up the board.

We're not going to have the #1 recruiting class every year. UGA has the top class on lock because they're in an inverse situation than we are. They will be signing a larger class and combine that with the new coach hype and that results in a stronger class.

To get to the point - do you really think that if we had simply passed for more yards this year that we'd have the #1 class right now? If so, I'm sorry, I just disagree. I mean look at the 2019 rankings - we're 3rd right now. IMO the offense or lack of a flashy passing game is not hurting us in recruiting. Just a perfect storm of the things I mentioned above that means UGA will probably edge us for the top class this year. It's a real reach to say that if Tua were playing that we would have finished higher in recruiting this year. Also, by this theory UGA wouldn't have the top ranked class because they are something like the 100th rated passing offense..
This has nothing to do with having the #1 class. You can still get top talent with a small class. We haven't done that this year.

You mention UGA to support your thinking. Easy retort - "Come to Athens. See what we're building? Jake can make the throws when needed! We just need you here."

We can't say the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.