Game Thread: Alabama @ Vandy

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
Great effort to get back into it, but we never should have been down that far to begin with. That will likely be a loss that will be held against us by the committee. Real shame to follow up a statement win with bad loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
loved the intensity with the comeback. but this was a bad loss. gotta win the games ur supposed to and try to steal a few you are not supposed to. I still feel like we are getting better. just hope it's not too late before we hit our stride.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
We really missed Petty's offensive contribution.

OTOH, it was good to see Key finally look to have a pulse.

We've got to defend the 3 better, but Vandy just stayed pretty hot the whole game.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
Great effort to get back into it, but we never should have been down that far to begin with. That will likely be a loss that will be held against us by the committee. Real shame to follow up a statement win with bad loss.

Yelp I agree if we want to make the tourney we got to win at home and steal a few on the road. This was one of those road games we could and should have gotten.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
Key looked a little better. This is an up and down team. Texas A & M is losing, which doesn't help our case.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
I was driving back from a funeral and missed this one on TV, but heard parts on the radio. I assume that this is what the selection committee will label as a "bad loss."

yesitsmed23

1st Team
Aug 28, 2008
Huntsville, AL
Always happens at Vanderbilt! Terrible officiating when anyone plays there, they definitely get home cooking for their games and it shows every time we play there. Look back at Jamychael Greens last year with us and it was a similar missed call that cost us the game there too! You pretty much have to shoot really well and have Vandy not play well if you want a shot at winning at their place.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Doug Shows never misses an opportunity to screw us. I've been watching these games for years and when Shows does our games, we can almost mark it a loss.

That being said, this was on the coaching. We didn't defend in the 1st half at all, especially on their 3's. We had a decided advantage inside but didn't seem interested in getting the ball to our bigs down low on a consistent basis. Our rebounding was no where near where it should have been for this game considering our inside presence. Donta should be getting a double double every game. I saw him not even attempt to get position several times. Sexton should have not driven to the basket at the end of the game. Our only shot was a 3. It padded his stats, but lost us the game.

Last edited:

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Disappointed in this loss. I know Vandy is always a tough out in their arena, but man. Their biggest challenge is playing disciplined as a team game in and game out. Once they get that down and get down their roles on this team, there are going to be a force to be reckoned with.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Always happens at Vanderbilt! Terrible officiating when anyone plays there, they definitely get home cooking for their games and it shows every time we play there. Look back at Jamychael Greens last year with us and it was a similar missed call that cost us the game there too! You pretty much have to shoot really well and have Vandy not play well if you want a shot at winning at their place.
The referees in CBB have sucked for years, but they’ve been dialing it up lately. TV freaking Teddy reffed our win over the Vols last night, and you would swear he was on a mission to foul out every last one of our big men.

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
Disappointed in this loss. I know Vandy is always a tough out in their arena, but man. Their biggest challenge is playing disciplined as a team game in and game out. Once they get that down and get down their roles on this team, there are going to be a force to be reckoned with.
I agree 100%. The team just hasn’t fully gelled yet.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
I just wasn't prepared for this loss.

Vandy was able to drive to the basket way too easy after hitting a bunch of first half three pointers. Also too many missed opportunities when Vandy was finally slowed down.

Good news is Key looks like he is edging towards his old self. He is unique among the Bama players as far as his size and skill combo and can add a different dimension to Bama's game.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
I agree 100%. The team just hasn’t fully gelled yet.

We need at least one more of the guards/forwards to establish themselves as a scoring threat. Petty seems to be the second option after Sexton but he's streaky. We need someone to establish themselves as an instant/consistent option for points outside of Colin.

InsaneMustang

1st Team
Jul 30, 2001
I did not catch the game, and while I did read the recap and I looked at the box score, I can't get an overall feel for how this game went. Can someone give me just a short and sweet recap, did we lose this game all our own, or did they beat us?

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
We forgot how to defend at all and especially the 3 in the first half. I think they hit 12 for the game. We were behind basically the whole game except for the 1st couple of minutes. They had a kid (Saben Lee) go off who normally scores about 8 a game. He was driving past us for layups and hitting 3's. Lee had 24 for the game. We had a chance to win at the end, but Dougie Shows blew a call when they stepped out with the ball to give us the ball down 1 at the end.

This one really hurt. Their RPI is around 140. Bad loss. I knew we would have growing pains with such a young team, but this one was inexcusable.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.