Politics: Midterm elections catch-all thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Re: 2018 midterm elections catch-all thread

I'm not sure what you mean by straddling the fence. Statistics aren't ironclad laws. Alabama had a 99% chance to win the
2013 Iron Bowl when Griffith lined up for the kick. The fact we lost doesn't mean the data was incorrect.

My beef with Silver has never been with Silver - it's been with the tongue bathing media (sans Faux News) who only made him a star
because they liked what he was telling them. Had his data shown that Romney was going to win then he'd be a Fox News guest
and nobody else would have him on. Anyone who thinks that assessment is rough need only look at the NY Times treatment of him
the moment he said the Senate was likely to go the GOP in 2014. All of a sudden, he went from the infallible Moses to a guy they
couldn't trust.

His work with data is, in one sense impressive, and he's always modifying it, which is good. It's MUCH more difficult to do a House or
Senate race than the White House. As I've said here many times, anyone with a scintilla of historical knowledge will get 40 of the 50
states (plus DC) right in a red/blue map just based on knowing what has happened. Nobody thought for a second that Hillary was
going to win Utah or Kansas any more than they thought Trump would win California. Nate basically says, "Here's the floor, here's
the ceiling, and here's what to expect plus or minus." Plus, he's an admitted liberal (more centrist though) and seems intelligent
enough to figure for his own biases - as any good pollster should. I used to be decent at it, so I envy the guy in one sense for being
able to make a fortune for what I didn't/don't have enough brains to figure out how to get paid for.

Plus, there's things he has no way of knowing. I told my Oregon bud in early 2006, "Democrats are gonna take the House this year and
win 26 seats (they won 31). But they're gonna fall just short in the Senate." But they won the Senate. He asked me about it and I
laughed, "Hey, man, how was I supposed to know George Allen was gonna utter a racial slur?" Things like the page scandal, George
Allen's insult, Duke Cunningham or the Abramoff scandal could torpedo either side at this point, but such a missile in the current
environment favors the Democrat being able to overcome it more so than the GOP.

People think Silver is the kind of guy who can take a poll, put it in a black box, and say, "This is what's gonna happen."

And hey - he gave Trump more of a chance to win the Presidency than anyone - this after he had actually written that Trump could not
win the nomination.
So he was wrong before he was right.....which kind of validates my original statement. You can always be right when you say both can happen.....

My memory is that he gave Trump very little chance to win.....and even election night, he was lagging behind what others were seeing. I remember watching the live "prediction meter" that the NYT was posting -- and it kept leaning more and more toward Trump as the evening progressed and he was still saying that it probably wouldn't happen. He was running a live blog that night if I remember right.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

So he was wrong before he was right.....which kind of validates my original statement. You can always be right when you say both can happen.....

My memory is that he gave Trump very little chance to win.....and even election night, he was lagging behind what others were seeing. I remember watching the live "prediction meter" that the NYT was posting -- and it kept leaning more and more toward Trump as the evening progressed and he was still saying that it probably wouldn't happen. He was running a live blog that night if I remember right.

There was a memo circulated in May 2016 among the HRC campaign that warned VERY carefully: Trump could, in fact, beat her, and that as a matter of course everyone should add 3-4 points to his overall total.

I can't fault Nate Silver for not seeing what nobody else really saw.

But he gave Trump a higher chance of winning than anyone else did that was using DATA and not "gut hunch," too.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA

I'm not sure what you mean by straddling the fence. Statistics aren't ironclad laws. Alabama had a 99% chance to win the
2013 Iron Bowl when Griffith lined up for the kick. The fact we lost doesn't mean the data was incorrect.
yup, what most forget or don't realize is that statistically if you gave Clinton an 80 pct chance of winning, you still weren't wrong.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

yup, what most forget or don't realize is that statistically if you gave Clinton an 80 pct chance of winning, you still weren't wrong.
I would point out that ONE of the things that happened is that we have had so many elections in the last 50 years where we knew a week or more before the election who was going to win. The only close elections after 1968 were 1976, 2000, and 2004. The press had not projected the "wrong winner" since 1948 - a spotless record of almost 7 decades on Election Night 2016.

But the truth was that Trump was closer than HRC in enough EV states to win from day one. One Republican operative was quoted as saying that if Trump would have left the country in May and not said a word, he'd guarantee Trump could beat Hillary.

Instead, he met with Russia....which is not what they meant.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

One more thing here......when Silver "predicted" the GOP would take the Senate around May 2014, he didn't say they were going to win it.

He rated their chances at about 60%. And the NYT went off and basically said that wasn't going to happen and they'd lost trust in Silver.

Of course, he turned out to be right, and it should have been obvious:
-21 of the seats up were Ds, only 15 Rs
-Obama was in the sixth year of his Presidency, which typically gets you losses (FDR, Ike, Reagan, and Bush all had this; Clinton did well but he'd
also had a bigger wipeout in his second year than the others)
- the economy was still sluggish

And then after that was the failed Obamacare launch in October that cost Sebelius her job.

I think the guy does an outstanding job, but of course he's not perfect. He's not predicting, he's saying "this is what the trends say is most probable."
I think a lot of folks don't understand that distinction.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

For governor, New York Democrats go with Cuomo and not the homo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL

For this reason, I'll be surprised if the Democrats impeach him, even if they have the majority. I expect them simply to pay out the rope and wait for him to hang himself. IOW, wait until his behavior, and the evidence, is so bad that enough Republicans have to vote to convict...
Well according to many Trump was supposed to be ousted out of office by now and that WW3 would break out yet neither had happened. Then again he should of “Hung himself” after figure of speech grab by the p$&@% comment. All along throughout his campaign his opponents thought they were giving him the rope to hang himself when in reality they give them enough rope to make a lasso so he could strangle them. Bottom line, Trump being impeached is as far fetched of a dream as 30 year old you thinking that flying cars would be mainstream and laser guns being the primary weapon of the US military by 2018.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
2018 midterm elections catch-all thread

One of the more brutal campaign ads I've seen in recent memory...

When six of your eight siblings are actively supporting your opponent, there’s a big problem...
Arizona Republican's Siblings Endorse His Opponent In Brutal Ads - HuffPosthttps://apple.news/AgQYRh_0xRh2mR8RlnWtlnQ

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

Should make for an interesting Thanksgiving family dinner.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009

I think there may be no “family” dinner, in this instance. [emoji44]

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

One of the more brutal campaign ads I've seen in recent memory...

When six of your eight siblings are actively supporting your opponent, there’s a big problem...
Arizona Republican's Siblings Endorse His Opponent In Brutal Ads - HuffPosthttps://apple.news/AgQYRh_0xRh2mR8RlnWtlnQ

I was wondering why they all looked alike. Didn’t watch with audio at first.

I think there may be no “family” dinner, in this instance. [emoji44]

Nature of the beast......:frown:

https://www.tidefans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=296926

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005

CNN asked Ted Cruz and Beto O’Rourke to participate in a town hall. Cruz declined, but Beto will be present for a (solo) town hall even on October 19th.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

We can't use the word "mob" anymore?

As an aside....Brooke Baldwin's been hitting the tanning bed a little too hard, lately...wow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.