Politics: Midterm elections catch-all thread...

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!
Status
Not open for further replies.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Re: 2018 midterm elections catch-all thread

nothing to see here. please move along

Voting Rights Become A Flashpoint In Georgia Governor’s Race

Marsha Appling-Nunez was showing the college students she teaches how to check online if they’re registered to vote when she made a troubling discovery. Despite being an active Georgia voter who had cast ballots in recent elections, she was no longer registered...

She tried re-registering, but with about one month left before a November election that will decide a governor’s race and some competitive U.S. House races, Appling-Nunez’s application is one of over 53,000 sitting on hold with Georgia Secretary of State Brian Kemp’s office. And unlike Appling-Nunez, many people on that list — which is predominantly black, according to an analysis by The Associated Press — may not even know their voter registration has been held up.

Tuesday is Georgia’s deadline to register and be eligible to vote in the November General Election.

Kemp, who’s also the Republican candidate for governor, is in charge of elections and voter registration in Georgia.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA

I've never said or thought this before, and maybe not ever again, but I hope the Dems will take control of both houses of congress this time.:eek2:

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009

And for all of you losing in the stock market drop: blame Trump.
After all, he took credit for it going up. He deserves the blame when it drops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

And for all of you losing in the stock market drop: blame Trump.
After all, he took credit for it going up. He deserves the blame when it drops.

Another libtard that doesn't understanding winning the trade war

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
2018 midterm elections catch-all thread

I've never said or thought this before, and maybe not ever again, but I hope the Dems will take control of both houses of congress this time.:eek2:
Looks like the House is a done deal. For the sake of our country, I’d like to see both. If not, I sincerely hope the House locks down any legislation unless the Senate negotiates (read:compromises). The Senate Republicans can’t because of their base - they won’t tolerate any compromise.
I saw interviews in ND - those supporting Trump were typical MAGA morons with no substantially credible reason for doing so, while the interviews with the ranchers supporting HH were cogent, intelligent and based on reality. So I have no problem with literally shutting down the government if she loses. Republicans should be forced to compromise or shoulder the blame for not doing so.
Trump will hopefully be Trump and do/say something outrageous ( the Yeezy visit was a start), and thus make the midterms about him which would probably flip the Senate.
One can hope. I’m no fan of Democrats (generally speaking) but Republicans have proven they’re incapable of sane governance. Time for a change.

Last edited:

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea

Looks like the House is a done deal. For the sake of our country, I’d like to see both. If not, I sincerely hope the House locks down any legislation unless the Senate negotiates (read:compromises). The Senate Republicans can’t because of their base - they won’t tolerate any compromise.
I saw interviews in ND - those supporting Trump were typical MAGA morons with no substantially credible reason for doing so, while the interviews with the ranchers supporting HH were cogent, intelligent and based on reality. So I have no problem with literally shutting down the government if she loses. Republicans should be forced to compromise or shoulder the blame for not doing so.
Trump will hopefully be Trump and do/say something outrageous ( the Yeezy visit was a start), and this make the midterms about him which would probably flip the Senate.
One can hope. I’m no fan of Democrats (generally speaking) but Republicans have proven they’re incapable of sane governance. Time for a change.

The country would be a lot better off if the middle either took over one party or started their own party.

There are far more of us than the extreme Left and the Tea Party/Trumpsters.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009

The country would be a lot better off if the middle either took over one party or started their own party.

No argument from me, but it has to be a third party. Republicans won’t boot the Faux Christian fanatics, and Dems won’t take control back from big money. Big money likes the conflict, keeps prying eyes away from their shenanigans.
Start by getting big money out of politics (that handcuffs both major parties and Citizens United notwithstanding, it is doable). Then you open the door for moderates of both parties (fewer and fewer of them left due to current polarization) to join with the independents and form the largest voting bloc. “Independents” are already virtually equal in numbers to either party.
But unless we take control of the elections away from big money, we’re just wizzing in the wind.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA

Unfortunately, a 3 way national election, winner take all, introduces its own set of problems where the majority can have their votes split allowing someone with lesser support win the election.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009

Unfortunately, a 3 way national election, winner take all, introduces its own set of problems where the majority can have their votes split allowing someone with lesser support win the election.
I’m not sure I agree. We’ve seen (in 2000) where a fringe candidate affected the outcome (in Florida). I don’t see how a solid third party, comprised of equal (or superior) numbers of voters will somehow cause a less supported candidate to get elected. We just saw that in ‘16 with (realistically) two parties but I don’t see that happening with three - if it’s a “winner take all”, which unfortunately it’s not.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

i knew it was only a matter of time before jawjuh showed her true colors

'Outside agitators,' a phrase from the civil rights era, resurfaces in Georgia governor’s race

And on Wednesday, in response to the latest accusation that Kemp — who is running in an election he will oversee as secretary of state and rejecting calls to resign from that office — has blocked 53,000 Georgians from registering to vote, the Republican issued a statement that included one particularly noteworthy phrase.

“Despite what you hear or read, the numbers are clear. While outside agitators disparage this office and falsely attack us, we have kept our heads down and remained focused on ensuring secure, accessible, and fair elections for all voters,” Kemp said in a statement through his state office website.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009

i knew it was only a matter of time before jawjuh showed her true colors

'Outside agitators,' a phrase from the civil rights era, resurfaces in Georgia governor’s race
I’m sure the white robes/hoods are ready to be broken out again.
In what universe does ANYONE on this forum think it’s OK for someone running in an election to be in full charge of that election?
It’s simply mind boggling in its total lack of anything even remotely resembling ethical behavior. IMO, Georgians should be ashamed for not literally rioting until this is changed; but, then again, it’s Georgia (you could substitute Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, Louisiana etc).
At least we know (if we ever doubted it) southern racism is alive and well.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA

I’m not sure I agree. We’ve seen (in 2000) where a fringe candidate affected the outcome (in Florida). I don’t see how a solid third party, comprised of equal (or superior) numbers of voters will somehow cause a less supported candidate to get elected. We just saw that in ‘16 with (realistically) two parties but I don’t see that happening with three - if it’s a “winner take all”, which unfortunately it’s not.

All that needs to happen is for the third party candidate to take more votes from the leading candidate of the two major parties than from the other. It is generally believed that Perot took more votes from Bush than Clinton handing the election to Clinton. Without Perot, Bush would have received over 50% and won but not sure what the EC would have done .

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009

All that needs to happen is for the third party candidate to take more votes from the leading candidate of the two major parties than from the other. It is generally believed that Perot took more votes from Bush than Clinton handing the election to Clinton. Without Perot, Bush would have received over 50% and won but not sure what the EC would have done .
I’m speaking of a legit third party with number of “members” equal to or exceeding that of the current two.
I don’t think you are, you’re just talking about disaffected voters who don’t like the candidates of the current two parties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.