Politics: Midterm elections catch-all thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Re: 2018 midterm elections catch-all thread

For a true third party to be effective and have a chance its leadership and selection of candidates has to be of some stature in national politics. The problem with all third party candidates I have seen is that most people do not know who in the hell they are (Gary Johnson) or are fringe candidates who are likely ultra conservative or ultra liberal. I am not suggesting anybody in particular, but a third party would need to have a candidate who has national name recognition, political experience and who would appeal to the moderate voters who don't want Trump or Bernie or Warren types. I have no idea what it would take, but Ross Perot and George Wallace types cannot win

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

man, the republicans must be desperate if they are trotting out dennis miller.

i guess the victoria jackson spots are just around the corner.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
2018 midterm elections catch-all thread

man, the republicans must be desperate if they are trotting out dennis miller.

i guess the victoria jackson spots are just around the corner.
Dennis Miller is a bobble-headed idiot.
I’ve never forgiven him for his bigoted comments about Alabama.
A first class jerk who, like Franken, I never found funny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017

AMEN

Bama 8Ball

1st Team
Oct 10, 2018
Too Far North

I would pay for the PPV to watch Dennis Miller vs. Bill Maher in a cage match. Two men enter, NO MAN leave!

Its On A Slab

All-SEC
Apr 18, 2018
Pyongyang, Democratic Republic of Korea

His brand of cynical humor can only go so far.

Another SNL castoff (there are legions) like Victoria Jackson who needs a paycheck.

Bama 8Ball

1st Team
Oct 10, 2018
Too Far North

For a true third party to be effective and have a chance its leadership and selection of candidates has to be of some stature in national politics. The problem with all third party candidates I have seen is that most people do not know who in the hell they are (Gary Johnson) or are fringe candidates who are likely ultra conservative or ultra liberal. I am not suggesting anybody in particular, but a third party would need to have a candidate who has national name recognition, political experience and who would appeal to the moderate voters who don't want Trump or Bernie or Warren types. I have no idea what it would take, but Ross Perot and George Wallace types cannot win
I would like to see the rule changed so that some third party candidates can at least get air time in the major presidential debates...but then again I don't think the dems or repubs would be very open to that:rolleye2: My wife is a lifelong repub. She had no idea who Gary Johnson was. I made her take one of those silly online quizzes to see what candidate you align with....89% with Gary Johnson. Pretty funny.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States

I'm right there with those people and I'm doing the same thing. I do kind of wonder how long it took them to find those 6 people because around here, around the people I know, I think I'm the only republican who is switching. It's not that all the people I know love Trump, they just hate Democrats more and are sick and tired of the insults/ridicule coming from the left.

I fear that we are about to witness a repeat of what happened in the 2016 election. Democratic numbers are up and polls are suggesting things my move back in that direction come election day but, I think many Republicans are staying quiet but will come out in full force. All the news outlets will be in shock again when the results start appearing. Democrats are not learning their lesson, Trump was elected because the right was energized and tired of being insulted and ridiculed by the left. The same thing is happening again, I hear it from people I know and I fear that things will not change now or in 2020.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

yeah, "i didn't want to vote for and continue supporting human filth, but those mean old democrats just gave me no choice" is not surprising at all coming from the party of personal responsibility

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005

yeah, "i didn't want to vote for and continue supporting human filth, but those mean old democrats just gave me no choice" is not surprising at all coming from the party of personal responsibility
Yes, but if you point out how dumb and self-defeating that is, you're only making them vote harder.

This is a better reason to vote dem in a few weeks:

Pelosi: Dems would start with campaign finance reform if they take House

Just have to hold her to it.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL

I'm right there with those people and I'm doing the same thing. I do kind of wonder how long it took them to find those 6 people because around here, around the people I know, I think I'm the only republican who is switching. It's not that all the people I know love Trump, they just hate Democrats more and are sick and tired of the insults/ridicule coming from the left.

I fear that we are about to witness a repeat of what happened in the 2016 election. Democratic numbers are up and polls are suggesting things my move back in that direction come election day but, I think many Republicans are staying quiet but will come out in full force. All the news outlets will be in shock again when the results start appearing. Democrats are not learning their lesson, Trump was elected because the right was energized and tired of being insulted and ridiculed by the left. The same thing is happening again, I hear it from people I know and I fear that things will not change now or in 2020.
I don't have a problem with 95% of what you said. My issue lies in the fact that what passes for ridicule/insults these days is really just disagreement/pointing out the truth. In general I find people are don't like having the BS flag raised on what they say, and are using that to indicate some form of persecution.

Bama 8Ball

1st Team
Oct 10, 2018
Too Far North

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...RtVQGrHc&noredirect=on&utm_term=.9255060e19d4

Interesting take in the WaPo from a Trump critic...sounds like he has been Processed...

As President Trump’s first two years in office come to a close, we’ve seen two originalist justices confirmed to the Supreme Court, 26 originalist appeals court judges confirmed, 10 more nominated , and 41 new district court judges on the bench and dozens more pending. Add to that: the repeal of the sequester on defense spending and a massive military rebuild underway; a massive tax cut of unprecedented depth and structural change; a renegotiated trade dealbetween the United States, Mexico and Canada; withdrawals from the awful Iran deal and, in effect, the absurdist Paris accord; the rollback of job-killing and bureaucrat-empowering regulations by the hundreds; an economy surging while unemployment drops to 3.7 percent ; and a new entente in the Middle East (one that arose despite U.S. recognition of Jerusalem as the capital of Israel) that sees the United States and Israel aligned and cooperating closely with Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, United Arab Emirates, Kuwait, Bahrain and now a new government in Iraq against the expansionist Iranian theocrats.

Did I mention the devastation and defeat of ISIS in its physical “caliphate”?

That’s not even the entire list of accomplishments, but it’s enough to have silenced the #NeverTrumpers who used to mock Trump-supporting conservatives by posting a street sign carrying the name “Gorsuch” above rising floodwaters. Those of us who follow the president’s often confusing, loud, extemporaneous and disruptive presidency not by his tweets but by his administration’s deeds and those of congressional Republicans are amused that the #NeverTrump rump has stopped the “but Gorsuch” nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.