Politics: 2018 midterm elections catch-all thread - Page 2
Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar

Re: 2018 midterm elections catch-all thread

Chelsea Manning is running for the Senate in Maryland.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/ampht...54d_story.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation Hall of Fame Chukker Veteran's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GrayTide View Post
    Bachman is right up there with Palin, neither bad to look at but both are nuttier than a fruitcake. Where is Jesse Ventura when you need him?
    Speaking of fruitcakes, have you ever seen Bachman's husband?

BamaNation Hall of Fame Chukker Veteran's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CharminTide View Post
    Alternate headline: Orrin Hatch announces retirement immediately after voting for GOP tax bill, torpedoing American economy to enrich self

The upside: trading Hatch and Chaffetz for Romney and McMullen is probably a huge upgrade.
    It burns me up Chaffetz quit midterm and put his state to the expense of an election to replace him, but he still gets the free ride for life that ex-Congressmen enjoy. I think if they can't finish their term they should dock their benefits.

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    Chelsea Manning is running for the Senate in Maryland.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/ampht...54d_story.html

This is literally the most perfect Democratic candidate ever. Done time in prison, has sexual identity issues, and hates the military.

The only way better would be if he/she wasn't white.
    My New Year's resolution for 2019 is this year I'm not going to drink anymore. I'm not going to drink any less, either.

I was married for 25 years, but if I'd killed her on the honeymoon, I'd have been out in less than 20.

Butch Jones has richly earned his title, The Archbishop of Talentbury

After reading all the horrible things drinking will do to you....I gave up reading.

2018 midterm elections catch-all thread

Senator Thad Cochran (R-MS) will resign on April 1 due to poor health. This sets up a special election there this fall. Their other Senate seat is also on the ballot this year.

BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar

Senator Thad Cochran (R-MS) will resign on April 1 due to poor health. This sets up a special election there this fall. Their other Senate seat is also on the ballot this year.

They can probably kill two birds with one stone if Bryant just appoints McDaniel to Cochranís seat.

Win or lose, Pennsylvania 18 likely forecasts bad news for the GOP in November

Even a victory in Pennsylvania's 18th House District on Tuesday could be bad news for national Republicans. For starters, the seat has no bearing on the balance on power in the House as Republicans hold a clear majority. And after a court mandate that new maps go into effect, this seat will likely be eliminated next Congress.
    So the real importance of Tuesday's special election pitting Republican Rick Saccone against Democrat Conor Lamb is, instead, what the results say about the strength of each party heading into November's midterm elections.
    Republicans may hope that a win will provide them with an ego boost. But history tells us it's far more significant to look at the margin between Lamb and Saccone, not at who ultimately wins or loses. And if we're only looking at the margin, it's pretty clear that the result in Pennsylvania's 18th could very likely end up being bad news for Republicans.
    We know from past years that the average special election can tell us a lot about what will occur nationally in the midterms, so long as we look at how much the margins in them deviate from past margins in the district.
    Former GOP Rep. Tim Murphy, who ran unopposed in both 2016 and 2014, won the district by 28 points in 2012. Republican President Donald Trump won it by about 20 percentage points, when he was losing the national popular vote by 2 points. It's a district that Republican Mitt Romney won by 17 points, when he was losing the national popular vote by 4 points.

In other words, the race shouldn't be close even if the national environment was neutral. Saccone should be winning by double digits.
    Yet, the available polls show Lamb and Saccone neck-and-neck. An average of the three surveys, none of which meet CNN's polling standards, taken within three weeks of the election actually have Lamb up by a point. That means this race is a tossup given the true margin of error with 95% confidence for special House election polling averages (in which there is at least two polls part of the average) being about +/- 10 percentage points.
    If Lamb wins....I can see a push for him to be a possible presidential candidate. Good looking, well spoken, and a Marine vet. Just my opinion as someone who knows nothing about the slimy world of politics....

BamaNation Hall of Fame CharminTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
    If Lamb wins....I can see a push for him to be a possible presidential candidate. Good looking, well spoken, and a Marine vet. Just my opinion as someone who knows nothing about the slimy world of politics....
    Possibly. I remain impressed by the newest Kennedy, to be honest. This is a great interview:

The Ezra Klein Show: This isn't Joe Kennedyís grandfatherís Democratic Party, and he knows it

Quote Originally Posted by CharminTide View Post
    Possibly. I remain impressed by the newest Kennedy, to be honest. This is a great interview:

The Ezra Klein Show: This isn't Joe Kennedy’s grandfather’s Democratic Party, and he knows it
    What about the name "Kennedy" in politics? Especially as a presidential candidate. I guess you could attach a positive aspect to it if you were soliciting the democratic vote - but some might feel the country (including many democrats) would want a 'fresher' name - you know - something new without any past ties to politics, per se.

I also noticed this comment in your linked story:

But Kennedy, the grandson of Robert F. Kennedy, is rising in a changed Democratic Party. In the 1950s, the nonwhite share of the Democratic vote was about 7 percent. In 2012, it was about 44 percent — and that number is ticking upward.
    Just my opinion but I think the country as a whole is tired of the whole race thing in politics. I'm no expert - just shooting from the hip with my thoughts.

BamaNation All-American gtowntide's Avatar

What about the name "Kennedy" in politics? Especially as a presidential candidate. I guess you could attach a positive aspect to it if you were soliciting the democratic vote - but some might feel the country (including many democrats) would want a 'fresher' name - you know - something new without any past ties to politics, per se.

I also noticed this comment in your linked story:

Just my opinion but I think the country as a whole is tired of the whole race thing in politics. I'm no expert - just shooting from the hip with my thoughts.

Please tell me you're not serious.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CharminTide's Avatar

Well, that was the argument that got us Trump, and the vast majority of the country loathes that outcome. I'll take competency attached to a Kennedy over incompetence with a "fresh" name.

If you listen to the podcast, you'll see that's mentioned not so much as a "race thing" in the traditional sense, but to underscore the enormous change in the Democratic coalition between JFK and today.

With 95% of the vote in, Lamb has a 900 vote lead in the Pennsylvania special election.

With 95% of the vote in, Lamb has a 900 vote lead in the Pennsylvania special election.

down to a .4% lead https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-election.html
    "There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist." - Terry Pratchett