Politics: Midterm elections catch-all thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Re: 2018 midterm elections catch-all thread

I don't know if anybody here is interested, but in the spirit of crimsonaudio, I am posting daily articles about the 1968 election as of this past Tuesday. I began a new blog and using the Newspaper Archive, I'm researching day by day. Generally speaking, I rewrite the given articles at the time (cited below the blog) to communicate precisely what is going on at the time. Granted, this was before your time for some of you.

Nevertheless, IF you are interested, it will be in the same vein as my poll articles on the football side. I won't be taking sides but merely passing on daily what happened then. Rather than backwards looking anachronisms (like the "secret plan to end the war" myth), it will be daily citations combined from (usually) AP articles.

Join me if you wish. If not that's fine, too. Here's the first article. Will do my best to update daily.

https://campaign68.blogspot.com/2018/03/march-11-1968-nixon-mccarthy-await.html

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

Governor Rick Scott of Florida is challenging Bill Nelson for his Senate seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

Mike Pence’s brother wins the GOP primary for his old House seat.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

Jared Polis could become America’s first openly gay elected governor

Rep. Jared Polis came one step closer to making history on Tuesday night, winning Colorado’s Democratic primary for governor. If Polis prevails in November, he will make history as the first openly gay elected governor in the United States. Polis certainly is aware of the significance of this in the Trump era.
A win for Polis in November would be a national milestone. Although former Gov. Jim McGreevey of New Jersey, a Democrat, made history by coming out as gay while in office in 2004, Polis would be the first openly gay man elected to a governor’s mansion.
The 2018 midterms has become a big year for historic candidacies. About 575 women have so far announced their intention to run for the US House, Senate, or governor’s seat, the majority of them Democrats. Democrat Stacey Abrams faces an uphill battle in deep-red Georgia, but she has a shot at becoming America’s first black woman elected governor. Though these candidacies have sometimes been characterized as part of the Trump resistance, it’s clear that the American public is starting to nominate candidates that represent the diversity of the overall population, not just straight white men.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/06/...t-de-niro-samantha-bee.html#commentsContainer

Comment section from NYTimes Op Ed regarding Dems desire to out Trump at the game of "going low". I am amazed at the level of pure hatred people have for him.

I find it odd that so many want to get into a street fight with the man who perfected the art of "immature" politics.

They think passion will win. What's going to happen is that the wave of progressives they will nominate will only serve to reinforce everything Trump said the Dems are. They are literally moving to prove him right.

It's a bad strategy to oust him in 2020

If his policies are bad and his approval suffering, they should just sit back and let it crumble. Making it a passionate election won't beat him in 2020

Last edited:

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007

https://www.montgomeryadvertiser.co...3-against-martha-roby-bobby-bright/699338002/

In 2016, Montgomery transplant Tabitha Isner was looking to get involved.

Donations, phone banking, door knocking — any option would have been acceptable to support the Democratic candidate challenging then three-time incumbent Martha Roby for her congressional seat. Isner had difficulty finding any avenue to support the challenger Nathan Mathis, and the implication that the race was a foregone conclusion didn’t sit well.

“You’ve got to have decent candidates running, even if you think you’re going to lose, to get out there and talk about the issues,” Isner said she told friends. “We need someone who can raise some money, get boots on the ground and make a good run of it.”

Roby received 48.8 percent of the vote in 2016, with a concerted write-in campaign eating into her voter base and amassing 10.7 percent. Mathis, the only Democratic candidate to file for the race, received 40.5 percent of the vote.

“That is a close election, and Democrats did not treat it like it was a close election. Why weren’t people pushing for this? Why did she get to skate through? That was the distressing part. I didn’t think we were having a good quality Democratic conversation when there was only one side talking.”

"I knew challenging Roby was going to be my project in 2018. I just didn’t know I was going to be the one on the ballot."
I doubt it will happen but I would love nothing more than to see Roby go down. I actually voted for Roby originally and hoped she would do well, but that didn't turn out and has only gotten worse.

Roby still has to get by Bobby Bright - who I used to like as mayor of Montgomery but he has read the tea leaves and figured out that if you go full Trump you get the rubes on your side. I'm seeing his sign in places that previously only had Roy Moore signs.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

https://www.montgomeryadvertiser.co...3-against-martha-roby-bobby-bright/699338002/

I doubt it will happen but I would love nothing more than to see Roby go down. I actually voted for Roby originally and hoped she would do well, but that didn't turn out and has only gotten worse.

Roby still has to get by Bobby Bright - who I used to like as mayor of Montgomery but he has read the tea leaves and figured out that if you go full Trump you get the rubes on your side. I'm seeing his sign in places that previously only had Roy Moore signs.
Roby didn’t endorse Trump after the interview was leaked about him
grabbing (word I can’t say here). That is the only reason her 2016 election was even close.

I keep hearing about the blue wave that is going to take over this state. The Jones win was a fluke and I don’t think Ivey breaks a sweat in her election.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2018/senate/2018_elections_senate_map.html

The Senate is looking to be relatively safe for the GOP - especially if Scott unseats Nelson in FL. Plus ole Claire in MO is in another dogfight -- (for some reason, she always seems to survive). They need to win 2 of the 8 "toss up" states in order to be 50/50 with Pence deciding votes. OR -- 3 for a 51/49 majority.....

the 8 toss up states are all states Trump won, I believe. So -- that bodes well for maintaining the Senate

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2018/senate/2018_elections_senate_map.html

The Senate is looking to be relatively safe for the GOP - especially if Scott unseats Nelson in FL. Plus ole Claire in MO is in another dogfight -- (for some reason, she always seems to survive). They need to win 2 of the 8 "toss up" states in order to be 50/50 with Pence deciding votes. OR -- 3 for a 51/49 majority.....

the 8 toss up states are all states Trump won, I believe. So -- that bodes well for maintaining the Senate
McCaskill probably only won in 2012 because of the unforgettable term "Legitimate rape."

My Dad is from there and my uncle was a local officeholder years ago. She's not that popular in the state overall (she lost the 2004 governor's race to Matt Blunt, in large part because she was suspected of being more liberal than she wanted to let on (and even then she might have won if there wasn't a Prez election with Bush routing Kerry in what had been a bellwether).

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011

McCaskill probably only won in 2012 because of the unforgettable term "Legitimate rape."

My Dad is from there and my uncle was a local officeholder years ago. She's not that popular in the state overall (she lost the 2004 governor's race to Matt Blunt, in large part because she was suspected of being more liberal than she wanted to let on (and even then she might have won if there wasn't a Prez election with Bush routing Kerry in what had been a bellwether).
You father is from Missouri?

What part?

I dated a girl who lived in Marshfield and spent some time traveling throughout the state and had a great time. A lot of cool sightseeing stuff! This was maybe 17 years or so ago. She's since moved here - but we don't see each other anymore. ;)

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

You father is from Missouri?

What part?

I dated a girl who lived in Marshfield and spent some time traveling throughout the state and had a great time. A lot of cool sightseeing stuff! This was maybe 17 years or so ago. She's since moved here - but we don't see each other anymore. ;)
He's from Steelville, formerly the population center of the USA (declared on this date in 1991, in fact).

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

The Democrats biggest hurdle in taking the Senate is the numbers. The Republicans only have nine seats up this year. (If McCain dies or resigns, it is past the deadline for a special election under Arizona law and the seat won’t be on the ballot until 2020).

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

The Democrats biggest hurdle in taking the Senate is the numbers. The Republicans only have nine seats up this year. (If McCain dies or resigns, it is past the deadline for a special election under Arizona law and the seat won’t be on the ballot until 2020).

Correct. 2020 is their better hope (assuming they don't win the House and channel their inner left-wing nutbaggery).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.