Politics: Midterm elections catch-all thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Re: 2018 midterm elections catch-all thread

Alternate headline: Orrin Hatch announces retirement immediately after voting for GOP tax bill, torpedoing American economy to enrich self

The upside: trading Hatch and Chaffetz for Romney and McMullen is probably a huge upgrade.

Reactions: UAH

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

Bachman is right up there with Palin, neither bad to look at but both are nuttier than a fruitcake. Where is Jesse Ventura when you need him?

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

The Dems better hope the economy tanks.....otherwise it's not going to go the way they all think it's going to go.....

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/01/09/politics/arizona-senate-joe-arpaio/index.html

Joe Arpaio, everyone’s favorite sheriff, is running for the Senate in Arizona.

When the fact you will be 86 this year isn’t your biggest issue, there is a problem.

The Democrats might do the impossible and take the Senate if the GOP keeps this up. If McCain dies and Joe and the Tea Party woman decide to go for separate seats, it would be funny if they both lost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: UAH

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

My recommendation to the Democrats in 2018 is get the Republicans to run a child molester in every race and then accuse him of being a child molester.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

Bachman is right up there with Palin, neither bad to look at but both are nuttier than a fruitcake. Where is Jesse Ventura when you need him?
Speaking of fruitcakes, have you ever seen Bachman's husband?

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

Alternate headline: Orrin Hatch announces retirement immediately after voting for GOP tax bill, torpedoing American economy to enrich self

The upside: trading Hatch and Chaffetz for Romney and McMullen is probably a huge upgrade.
It burns me up Chaffetz quit midterm and put his state to the expense of an election to replace him, but he still gets the free ride for life that ex-Congressmen enjoy. I think if they can't finish their term they should dock their benefits.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
2018 midterm elections catch-all thread

Senator Thad Cochran (R-MS) will resign on April 1 due to poor health. This sets up a special election there this fall. Their other Senate seat is also on the ballot this year.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Senator Thad Cochran (R-MS) will resign on April 1 due to poor health. This sets up a special election there this fall. Their other Senate seat is also on the ballot this year.

They can probably kill two birds with one stone if Bryant just appoints McDaniel to Cochran’s seat.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

Win or lose, Pennsylvania 18 likely forecasts bad news for the GOP in November

Even a victory in Pennsylvania's 18th House District on Tuesday could be bad news for national Republicans. For starters, the seat has no bearing on the balance on power in the House as Republicans hold a clear majority. And after a court mandate that new maps go into effect, this seat will likely be eliminated next Congress.
So the real importance of Tuesday's special election pitting Republican Rick Saccone against Democrat Conor Lamb is, instead, what the results say about the strength of each party heading into November's midterm elections.
Republicans may hope that a win will provide them with an ego boost. But history tells us it's far more significant to look at the margin between Lamb and Saccone, not at who ultimately wins or loses. And if we're only looking at the margin, it's pretty clear that the result in Pennsylvania's 18th could very likely end up being bad news for Republicans.
We know from past years that the average special election can tell us a lot about what will occur nationally in the midterms, so long as we look at how much the margins in them deviate from past margins in the district.
Former GOP Rep. Tim Murphy, who ran unopposed in both 2016 and 2014, won the district by 28 points in 2012. Republican President Donald Trump won it by about 20 percentage points, when he was losing the national popular vote by 2 points. It's a district that Republican Mitt Romney won by 17 points, when he was losing the national popular vote by 4 points.

In other words, the race shouldn't be close even if the national environment was neutral. Saccone should be winning by double digits.
Yet, the available polls show Lamb and Saccone neck-and-neck. An average of the three surveys, none of which meet CNN's polling standards, taken within three weeks of the election actually have Lamb up by a point. That means this race is a tossup given the true margin of error with 95% confidence for special House election polling averages (in which there is at least two polls part of the average) being about +/- 10 percentage points.
If Lamb wins....I can see a push for him to be a possible presidential candidate. Good looking, well spoken, and a Marine vet. Just my opinion as someone who knows nothing about the slimy world of politics....:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.