Politics: Midterm elections catch-all thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Re: 2018 midterm elections catch-all thread

Possibly. I remain impressed by the newest Kennedy, to be honest. This is a great interview:

The Ezra Klein Show: This isn't Joe Kennedy’s grandfather’s Democratic Party, and he knows it
What about the name "Kennedy" in politics? Especially as a presidential candidate. I guess you could attach a positive aspect to it if you were soliciting the democratic vote - but some might feel the country (including many democrats) would want a 'fresher' name - you know - something new without any past ties to politics, per se.

I also noticed this comment in your linked story:

But Kennedy, the grandson of Robert F. Kennedy, is rising in a changed Democratic Party. In the 1950s, the nonwhite share of the Democratic vote was about 7 percent. In 2012, it was about 44 percent — and that number is ticking upward.
Just my opinion but I think the country as a whole is tired of the whole race thing in politics. I'm no expert - just shooting from the hip with my thoughts.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.

What about the name "Kennedy" in politics? Especially as a presidential candidate. I guess you could attach a positive aspect to it if you were soliciting the democratic vote - but some might feel the country (including many democrats) would want a 'fresher' name - you know - something new without any past ties to politics, per se.

I also noticed this comment in your linked story:

Just my opinion but I think the country as a whole is tired of the whole race thing in politics. I'm no expert - just shooting from the hip with my thoughts.

Please tell me you're not serious.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005

Well, that was the argument that got us Trump, and the vast majority of the country loathes that outcome. I'll take competency attached to a Kennedy over incompetence with a "fresh" name.

If you listen to the podcast, you'll see that's mentioned not so much as a "race thing" in the traditional sense, but to underscore the enormous change in the Democratic coalition between JFK and today.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

With 95% of the vote in, Lamb has a 900 vote lead in the Pennsylvania special election.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

The Democrats didn’t even field a candidate in 2016 and Trump won the district by 20 points.

UAH

All-American
Nov 27, 2017

Interesting listening in this morning it appears that Lamb at a minimum is a centrist and obviously received a number of moderate Republican votes. If the Dems can begin to move away from the Libtard label toward the middle they could become a legitimate political movement again while isolating the Pubs to the extreme right.

If they move ahead and put new faces in Congressional leadership they would effectively appear to be a rejuvenated party.

On the other hand if Eric Holder's campaign gains traction in the party one has to say..here we go again!

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005

Classy dude.

Democratic Congressional candidate Conor Lamb said Wednesday that his claimed victory in Tuesday’s special election in Pennsylvania’s 18th Congressional district came, at least in part, thanks to supporters of President Donald Trump who voted for him.

“Look, I was at a lot of polling places yesterday with cars parked outside of them that had president Trump's bumper sticker on them. So he's a popular person here,” Lamb told CNN’s “New Day” on Wednesday. “But I think that what happens when you campaign in real life as much as possible is that those divisions go away. Everyone gave me a fair shake and I know that there are people that voted for the president who also voted for me. And, you know, I thank them for hearing me out.”
Link

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

The Pennsylvania race proves it: Trump is a weight around the GOP’s neck

In the Pennsylvania 18th District special election, with 99 percent of the vote in (not all absentee ballots yet counted), Democrat Conor Lamb leads Republican Rick Saccone by several hundred votes. Saccone has not yet conceded, but polling expert David Wasserman says there aren’t enough votes left to change the outcome. It shouldn’t have been remotely competitive.

The race should be a blaring wake-up call to Republicans (“Commence panicking!”). This blue-collar district in the Rust Belt, ideally designed for President Trump, gave him a 20-point margin of victory 16 months ago. Moreover, the district has consistently voted Republican over the past few election cycles, and to top it off, Trump personally visited there twice, most recently on Saturday. Trump even announced tariffs designed to placate steel workers. And yet that 20-point advantage disappeared, thanks to massive Democratic turnout.

Republicans were out spinning gullible reporters. We expected much worse! This will motivate our voters! Nonsense. This is nothing short of a disaster for Republicans. Here’s why:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...-around-the-gops-neck/?utm_term=.3a036cc3cf31

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...ca-trump-and-god-rick-saccone-says/ar-BBKazcU

Ever the uniter, Saccone says the Democrats hate America, Trump, and God.

I had never heard of him before this week. Has he always been a gigantic tool or is he just mad he is losing what was a safe House seat the Democrats haven’t even bothered putting a token candidate up for in six years?

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...ca-trump-and-god-rick-saccone-says/ar-BBKazcU

Ever the uniter, Saccone says the Democrats hate America, Trump, and God.

I had never heard of him before this week. Has he always been a gigantic tool or is he just mad he is losing what was a safe House seat the Democrats haven’t even bothered putting a token candidate up for in six years?

I had never heard of Saccone before and, hope I never hear of him again. Anybody who makes a statement that Democrats hate America and God is a real nut case, unfortunately there are a bunch like him still in Washington.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

I had never heard of Saccone before and, hope I never hear of him again. Anybody who makes a statement that Democrats hate America and God is a real nut case, unfortunately there are a bunch like him still in Washington.
that pretty much sums up gop ideology

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.