Politics: Midterm elections catch-all thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Re: 2018 midterm elections catch-all thread

Maybe that'll take some of the pressure off Alabama...
On the contrary. Alabama will officially be irrelevant in the process once the Virginia General Assembly ratifies the ERA and the amendment is adopted and applies to all states equally even the refuseniks like Alabama. The challenge of working out the details what exactly that amendment means will become a nationwide contest that could take a century to work out in the courts.
If the military adopts physical standards that have a disproportionate impact on keeping women out of certain military occupational specialties, will those standards be considered constitutional or will a federal judge simply outlaw the physical standards? I suspect the latter. And what will the abolition of physical standards do to the performance of American infantry in combat?
Can a state (or even a private company) offer maternity leave to female employees, but not male employees if the disproportionate impact is to give women time off but not men? And you can't say "yes, if a man can get pregnant and carry a baby to term," because the impact or that law will be disproportionately pro-women.

This amendment is going to be a mess to implement and what the ratifiers intended in ratifying will be irrelevant when it gets into a federal court. This amendment will spawn a century of court cases as federal judges come to some kind of consensus for us as to what this amendment means in practice.

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

Ratal

3rd Team
Aug 29, 2006

Agreed, he's an awful person who was widely disliked in KY. I don't think anyone here suggesting that Kentucky is magically a blue state now. But it should probably concern certain Republicans with low approval ratings that ticket-splitting is alive and well in 2019.
That was the second most important thing to me other than Bevin losing. It made me proud that some people were willing to not just straight ticket R or D. The idea that all candidates of the same party is the best candidate for every race is insane.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins

On the contrary. Alabama will officially be irrelevant in the process once the Virginia General Assembly ratifies the ERA and the amendment is adopted and applies to all states equally even the refuseniks like Alabama. The challenge of working out the details what exactly that amendment means will become a nationwide contest that could take a century to work out in the courts.
If the military adopts physical standards that have a disproportionate impact on keeping women out of certain military occupational specialties, will those standards be considered constitutional or will a federal judge simply outlaw the physical standards? I suspect the latter. And what will the abolition of physical standards do to the performance of American infantry in combat?
Can a state (or even a private company) offer maternity leave to female employees, but not male employees if the disproportionate impact is to give women time off but not men? And you can't say "yes, if a man can get pregnant and carry a baby to term," because the impact or that law will be disproportionately pro-women.

This amendment is going to be a mess to implement and what the ratifiers intended in ratifying will be irrelevant when it gets into a federal court. This amendment will spawn a century of court cases as federal judges come to some kind of consensus for us as to what this amendment means in practice.
I was referring more to Alabama's penchant for employing lawyers to defend half-baked legislation.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Voting between sessions, Tuberville, and Moore... nice going Alabama. I guess I will vote for Sessions and then Jones
That’s my plan. If it has to be a Republican, might as well be one that will make Trump mad by winning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

I was referring more to Alabama's penchant for employing lawyers to defend half-baked legislation.
I figured.
The ERA however, while admirable in theory, is going to employ thousands of attorneys for decades in practice.
I think this is by far the most consequential result of the elections Tuesday.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
That’s my plan. If it has to be a Republican, might as well be one that will make Trump mad by winning.

Yeah I dont think Jones could beat even Moore a 2nd time around. If this state gives it to Tubby or Moore then it is just a sign that we still refuse to move on. Atleast I could be okay with Sessions because it would mean we atleast didnt vote in 2 of the worst candidates. I wouldnt be happy with Sessions but atleast he wouldnt do something extremely racist, religion above law, or stupid like Tubby or Moore.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

I questioned some local/state officials recently about this at a public event. I asked if there was any limit on the amount of state tax money they were willing to spend on lawyers trying to do away with abortion. I could not get a straight answer, just a bunch of double talk.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Yeah I dont think Jones could beat even Moore a 2nd time around. If this state gives it to Tubby or Moore then it is just a sign that we still refuse to move on. Atleast I could be okay with Sessions because it would mean we atleast didnt vote in 2 of the worst candidates. I wouldnt be happy with Sessions but atleast he wouldnt do something extremely racist, religion above law, or stupid like Tubby or Moore.
not to nitpick, but many saw Session's term as AG as extremely racist in his attitude towards immigrants.

Choosing between Ears, Moore or Sessions...pick your poison.
I'm with you, if I had to pick one...I can't believe I can type this, it would be Sessions.

This reminds me of the billboards with a grinning W waving, saying "do you miss me yet?"

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
not to nitpick, but many saw Session's term as AG as extremely racist in his attitude towards immigrants.

Choosing between Ears, Moore or Sessions...pick your poison.
I'm with you, if I had to pick one...I can't believe I can type this, it would be Sessions.

This reminds me of the billboards with a grinning W waving, saying "do you miss me yet?"
As Penn Gillete has famously said, the lesser of two (or three in this case) evils is still evil

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Representative Peter King (R-NY) announces he will not seek re-election.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

Here is a brief analysis of what happened in the Virginia elections.
Here’s What Happened in Virginia (Explained)
Hoffman says that Republicans lost the suburbs. Anecdotally, I was in the Richmond suburbs this week and I saw a lot of Democratic candidate signs still in peoples' front yards, and one sign that read, "Proud Middle Class Democrat." I think suburban Virginians tend to be gentile and are put off by Trump's coarseness and bombast. The same dynamic will probably play out in other states next year.

At the same time, there was a ton of outside money poured into local elections.
DeSteph Flyer.png

One unanticipated result (beside the ratification of an amendment to the Constitution of the United States) will be the delegation of authority to localities to remove monuments.
Democrats' wins could help bring down Confederate statues
So Charlottesville (and Richmond and Norfolk, etc.) will soon have the authority to remove monuments.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

I figured.
The ERA however, while admirable in theory, is going to employ thousands of attorneys for decades in practice.
I think this is by far the most consequential result of the elections Tuesday.
I don’t see the passage being valid due to the time limit having expired.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

I don’t see the passage being valid due to the time limit having expired.
The 27th was pending for 202 years, 223 days.

Plus, in the (alleged) ratification of the 14th, two states rescinded their ratifications, yet the Secretary of State declared that they could not, and simply declared the amendment ratified.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.