Question: Rules question (What if Payne fumbled?)

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Clemson was called for a horse collar tackle penalty on Payne’s interception return.

If the tackle had caused him to fumble and Clemson recovered, do they keep the ball? What if the hypothetical fumble was returned for a TD?

Or is the fumble negated due to the illegal tackle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Yes, the fumble would have counted. It does not make the ball dead.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
Yes, the fumble would have counted. It does not make the ball dead.
Not so sure about that. Horse collar is a live ball foul, so if it had caused DP to fumble I think we retain possession 15 yards from fumble spot.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
We have a few guys on the board who are well versed in these obscure rules. Maybe one can enlighten us.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
If you commit a foul that cause them to fumble the ball, it can be considered live ball foul and the team retains the ball. kinda like if someone roughs the passer and the ball was intercepted or fumbled.. the team gets the ball back.. Right?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Would be the same as a facemask penalty leading to a fumble.

Pretty sure Bama keeps the ball in that situation.

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there
The horse collar penalty would precede the fumble. The end result would still be 15 yards added and there would basically be no fumble assuming the horse collar came before

RollTARDIS

Scout Team
Nov 22, 2017
A rule should never give a team an advantage, especially such a huge advantage, for committing a penalty that could lead to an injury. Logic would say that Alabama would keep the ball and tack on the penalty from the spot of the fumble. On the other hand, logic and rules aren’t always in harmony. I don’t believe Clemson would get it in any case after that penalty though.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If it is a live ball penalty, and I think that it is, I think that the consensus is true - Alabama would keep the ball.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Correct - Bama ball plus 15 from the spot of the fumble. Saw this happen in a game this year - not sure if it was ours. I think the PF was a targeting that caused the fumble.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Speaking of, I noticed he was carrying the ball like a loaf of bread on the interception return.

But then, I caught myself, realizing that we're not dealing with a Jerry Jeudy here, so I chilled... :cool2:

CmdrThor

1st Team
Oct 29, 2008
Marietta, GA
The enforcement spot of the penalty is the “end of the run”. A run ends either when the ball carrier is down or he loses possession of the ball. This is why the officials place a bean bag on the ground at the spot of a fumble. It is a live ball foul so the play continues (the other team could fumble again and we could take it in for a touchdown), but the team who was horse collared will have the option to take the 15 yards from the spot of the fumble.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.