Little Disappointed With The RB Personnel In The game

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Re: Little Disappointed With The Personnel In The game

I just thought Jacobs would need a bigger presence in the last game.

I don't know why the handling of the running backs feels so different this season. We've had split backfields for nearly all of Saban's tenure and the results are obvious. Somehow it just feels like there is no groove being gained - at least not as of late. I need to think on it some more.

JTBama

All-American
Jul 2, 2005
Some where out there

I just thought Jacobs would need a bigger presence in the last game.

I don't know why the handling of the running backs feels so different this season. We've had split backfields for nearly all of Saban's tenure and the results are obvious. Somehow it just feels like there is no groove being gained - at least not as of late. I need to think on it some more.
It does feel that Jacobs hasn't been involved as much, in my perspective .....he's one of our top two runningbacks

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland

I think Jacobs is on a pitch count. He's had some nagging injuries. I think hammy was the latest.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009

It does feel that Jacobs hasn't been involved as much, in my perspective .....he's one of our top two runningbacks
I think he had a slight hamstring issue leading up to the game. Hopefully he's close to 100% next week. He's a real play maker. I thought Najee Harris looked really good in the limited plays that he got in on.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia

I think he had a slight hamstring issue leading up to the game. Hopefully he's close to 100% next week. He's a real play maker. I thought Najee Harris looked really good in the limited plays that he got in on.
Najee Harris looked great, I think he's got the goods. The 2 things keeping him from seeing more playing time are 2 talented backs in front of him (Harris and Jacobs), and the fact that he likely is inexperienced when it comes to protection schemes and blocking, like all freshman. He likely knows where all the running lanes are for the plays and he has the intangibles and can shred a defense but if he can't be relied on in pass protection then he can't stay on the field for more than 2 plays in a row. (think Derrick Henry in 2013) Now I have no doubt he is learning and will have learned all these things by next season (or at least improved to the point of reliable competency) but we will only see him in spot use and he'll either be getting the ball or being used as a decoy.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009

My hope is that Jacobs can play more this upcoming game because he really is a game changing player. He isn't an every down player but if used efficiently he can turn the game.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina

For some reason Bo was tiptoeing rather than lowering his shoulders and blowing through...I know there were not a lot of holes at times, but sometimes you have to make your own hole. He seems to have lost that mojo...

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009

For some reason Bo was tiptoeing rather than lowering his shoulders and blowing through...I know there were not a lot of holes at times, but sometimes you have to make your own hole. He seems to have lost that mojo...
Agreed. He hasn't looked like his old self this year. Last year in the playoffs, he was borderline unstoppable.

RedWave

All-SEC
Sep 26, 2000
Arlington, Tx

He didn't get to tote the load much at all Monday, but Najee at least seemed to be running with conviction. Similar body type to Bo. But Bo is just not getting it done of late. Love the kid, and hope he gets his mojo back soon, but I would have Najee, Damien, or Jacobs taking those carries right now.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California

Bo confidence is not there at all this year. I still think they were trying to get him more involved, to get his confidence up ... So no, I'm not upset with how they used personnel in the. With jacob's hamstring, and Najee lack of experience.. you have to go with Harris/Scarbough rotation. However, I do expect Jacob to get more playing time against Georgia and use Bo for 3rd down and short situations.
Najee look great on that screen. he's a load at full speed. I hope we see more of him against uga. mix things up and give the dawgs a different look to consider.

Last edited:

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California

My hope is that Jacobs can play more this upcoming game because he really is a game changing player. He isn't an every down player but if used efficiently he can turn the game.
hopefully he's back to 100% . Clemson was fortunate not to see Jacobs in the game plan all that much.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009

He didn't get to tote the load much at all Monday, but Najee at least seemed to be running with conviction. Similar body type to Bo. But Bo is just not getting it done of late. Love the kid, and hope he gets his mojo back soon, but I would have Najee, Damien, or Jacobs taking those carries right now.
Najee is a freak. I know he may not be all there in terms of protections and other details but his physical ability is undeniable. I would venture to say he's more polished at this point than Derrick Henry was. He has a body type like Adrian Peterson and Eric Dickerson.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

I'm not even close to being a Captain in the Spelling Police..... but this thread has had so many typos, words spelled wrong that I just had to walk away.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California

Najee is a freak. I know he may not be all there in terms of protections and other details but his physical ability is undeniable. I would venture to say he's more polished at this point than Derrick Henry was. He has a body type like Adrian Peterson and Eric Dickerson.
it's obvious, he's been working out in the weight room as you can see him looking bigger on the sidelines. remember, this is a 18 year old, his body is only beginning to mature. crazy!

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Jacob wasn't 100 percent healthy.
Scarbough has mental issue at this point. Don't think Bo comes back next year. A change might do him good either at NFL or transfer.
Najee Harris will be very good next year. Should be 1a or 1B with Jacob.

Only personnel issues I had with the game was the WR. Foster and Sims have done good job with run blocking, but when it's time to catch balls... eh. Ruggs/Jeudy/Smith are 100 percent upgrade, and at this point, we have to be consistent with rotation. I'm worried about Jeudy's mental at this point.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004

If I was the OC (scary thought) I'd have Bo #3 behind Damien and Najee. Bo just seems timid hitting the hole. I'd use him sparingly and feed the ball to the other two. I'd also work Jacobs in at the slot position and try to get him the ball where he has room to run - quick slants, screen passes, and bring him in motion for toss sweeps.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

If I was the OC (scary thought) I'd have Bo #3 behind Damien and Najee. Bo just seems timid hitting the hole. I'd use him sparingly and feed the ball to the other two. I'd also work Jacobs in at the slot position and try to get him the ball where he has room to run - quick slants, screen passes, and bring him in motion for toss sweeps.
I can see where you are coming from with that. It makes sense. I would love to see Bo to get some reps to get his flow game going. We need his confidence up. I would use BO early and often.. and then switch him to 3rd down and shorts, slant, screen passes like you mentioned.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland

Bo gave Clemson fits last year to the point that Bama almost assuredly wins the game had he not been injured, so I had no problem with coaches giving Clemson some of what worked last year with Bo. That said, he clearly was not running at the same level, but only way to know that was to try him. This Clemson D is better than previous two Bama faced, and Bama O is arguably not as good as previous 2 it threw at Clemson.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.